• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Modern handguns that have preban mags available?

Commonwealth v. Conelius

This is where I was getting it from. Maybe I misunderstood the implications. Let me know and I can correct my previous post.

Edited to add: I'm NOT a lawyer, but this would appear to be the applicable section:

"This court concluded that new residents of the Commonwealth and certain returning residents, by satisfying the firearm identification card exception set forth in G. L. c. 140, § 129C(j), thereby satisfy the firearm possession exception set forth in G. L c.269, § 10(a)(4), for a limited period of time, without also having to comply with the provisions of G. L. c. 140, § 131G (relating to nonresidents) [416-419]; however, satisfaction of the firearm identification card exception in § 129C(j) does not provide a defense to a charge of violating G. L c. 269, § 10(m), which prohibits the possession of a large capacity weapon without a license [419-420]."
That says nothing about eFA10. All that says is that you can move into MA with guns and have a grace period while you get your license UNLESS your guns are high-cap (then you need the license BEFORE you bring them into the state). There's no requirement to register any guns when moving into MA.

I was saying that in the specific circumstance that your guns are confiscated and you can't find a buddy with an LTC, an FFL holder most likely won't transfer them back to you.
Citation please.

Regarding mags: please read beyond just the single posts you like to reference in order to get the full picture. Yes, it's certainly possible that a cop will jam you up for having a mag >10 rounds. No, you won't go to prison for just that. Laws exist for a reason - don't be afraid to do what's plainly legal.

That says nothing about eFA10. All that says is that you can move into MA with guns and have a grace period while you get your license UNLESS your guns are high-cap (then you need the license BEFORE you bring them into the state). There's no requirement to register any guns when moving into MA.

So, technically you would have to leave them at home until you get a license, and THEN bring them. Which would then require you to register them, as you brought them here after the move, right? Not trying to be difficult, I'm trying to understand. These laws are so convoluted they are well nigh impossible to comply with (by design I'm, sure). This one is particularly ridiculous.

Citation please.

Regarding mags: please read beyond just the single posts you like to reference in order to get the full picture. Yes, it's certainly possible that a cop will jam you up for having a mag >10 rounds. No, you won't go to prison for just that. Laws exist for a reason - don't be afraid to do what's plainly legal.

From Len2A, here: Trigger Pull

I guess I am coming at this from a different perspective. I am not here for much longer and just trying to minimize risk until I leave. It's not like I do anything stupid or engage in any high-risk behavior, but IMHO if you get jammed up and have to spend 10K to prove your innocence you have still lost even if you don't go to jail. Out of principle I want to give the state the minimum opportunity to get any more of money and time than they already do.

There are legal ways to move with your guns (even large-capacity) so that you never have to register them and still abide by the conflicting laws that were pointed out by the judge in Comm v. Cornelius. Lots of folks when they move from another state to MA have nobody to leave their guns with until they get licensed and return to get them. I teach all this stuff in my Mass Gun Laws Seminar . . . there are so many gotchas in MGLs and interpretations, that's why the seminar takes 7+ hours!

"I realize they are "legal," but it seems like there is a >0% chance you will get jammed up for carrying a perfectly legal mag because of the ignorance or spitefulness of the government employee you are interacting with."

Confirming that the above statement is a perfect summation of all MA Firearms Law. /thread.

After reading this elsewhere and getting my hopes up, I tried my pre ban and post ban 10 round Beretta mags in three different Caniks and they all hang up at the mag catch until I press it, then it’ll insert all the way. In addition to that you need to make an additional cut in the mag for the Canik mag catch.
The reason they hang up is because the mag release is ambi and can be swapped one side to the other, so there's a catch/shoulder on the bottom as well as the top so it can work either way. If you remove the release and grind/file the unused step to form a ramp, the mags won't hang up anymore when they bump past the extra added notch.

The reason they hang up is because the mag release is ambi and can be swapped one side to the other, so there's a catch/shoulder on the bottom as well as the top so it can work either way. If you remove the release and grind/file the unused step to form a ramp, the mags won't hang up anymore when they bump past the extra added notch.

That makes sense but I only see one catch. Where on this pic should be filed? Should I round the edge where the arrow points?

Attachments

• 60483CFA-F0BC-4D3D-9884-9A8024DA7E5B.jpeg
    60483CFA-F0BC-4D3D-9884-9A8024DA7E5B.jpeg
    16.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
That makes sense but I only see one catch. Where on this pic should be filed? Should I round the edge where the arrow points?
Yes, right at the arrow, the area filled in yellow.
Or the opposite if you're flipping it for left hand operation.

Attachments

• mag catch mod.jpg
    mag catch mod.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 11
Beretta 92 mags fit the following: Sig 226/228/229, Canik TP-9, Walter P99, CZ-75, Springfield XD, Keltec pistol-caliber carbine. Smith and Wesson 5906's also fit into the S&W 910, 915, and Marlin Camp Carbine. S&W Sigmas fit the SW9VE, i.e. the Poor Man's Glock. Ruger P85, 89, and 93's are largely interchangeable. There may be more that I'm missing. . . .

Beretta 92 mags fit the following: Sig 226/228/229, Canik TP-9, Walter P99, CZ-75, Springfield XD, Keltec pistol-caliber carbine. Smith and Wesson 5906's also fit into the S&W 910, 915, and Marlin Camp Carbine. S&W Sigmas fit the SW9VE, i.e. the Poor Man's Glock. Ruger P85, 89, and 93's are largely interchangeable. There may be more that I'm missing. . . .
You sure about CZ75? Have you tried them

Peopl
CZ 75 and CZ SP-01 use same mags. CZ 75 has been in production since the 70's so there are plenty of pre-ban mags floating around.
All full-size guns from the Beretta's 92 series can use pre-ban mags. Beretta pre-ban mags are particularly easy to find since these guns were used by US and Korean militaries.
People say this - and I’m sure it’s true - but I’ve yet to see CZ-75 prebans either defined or for sale

Some Sigs, and Hi Powers, Beretta. My own two cents is that if a cop in Massachusetts catches you with a High Cap mag you’re going to be charged. Cops are not knowledgeable about Pre-Ban.
I find it quite ironic that on the one hand we have lots of vague laws that no one really knows how to follow so we're probably all doing something illegal in a daily basis, and yet on the other hand you can get jammed up for doing something that's perfectly legal.

As someone that was in the same boat as you two years ago, here is what I would do...just advice from the internet, do what you want, lol.
  1. If you can, DON'T move here. This isn't hyperbole or exaggeration. The place is run by a cabal of corrupt fascists posing as woke communists to appeal to their voter base. They formulate policy based on how it can a) enrich themselves and their buddies and b) how it can appeal to their woke leftist moonbat fan base. That means you will be poorer and, as a gun owner, persecuted. I got a--no joke--50% raise when I moved here and have significantly less disposable income than when I lived in the south. It also means you will be prosecuted to the absolute hilt for any minor infraction or--god forbid--justified use of force.
  2. if you DO move here, do not bring anything expensive, collectible or of significant sentimental value. Authorities take your guns here at the drop of a hat (for instance, if you have a medical emergency and don't lock up your guns before you lose consciousness to comply with safe storage requirements they will be taken. There are lots of other examples where there is no due process and it usually costs an outrageous amount of time and money to get them back, and sometimes you can't).
  3. Bring the absolute minimum. Personal preference here, but if I can't get my guns back I don't want the bonded warehouse and the state getting any more of my money than absolutely necessary.
  4. Bring stuff that you don't have to register, i.e. anything not "large capacity." IIRC there is case law stating that you must EFA-10 any "large capacity" guns you bring with you. There is the silly list (which includes the glock 19 but not the 26, go figure) and also if you have a pre-ban in the gun it's considered large capacity (that is my understanding anyway; see the definition of "readily modifiable") . There was an illegal data dump recently where MA released info that could be used to possibly identify gun owners and discloses what guns they own. This might happen again.
  5. I just wouldn't fool around with pre-bans. They are more trouble than they are worth IMHO. Also they are quite expensive. See #2 and #4. I would only buy factory 10 round mags BTW.
  6. If possible, get pistols that are on the roster. I know this possibly conflicts with #4, as "roster" pistols may be hard to find outside of MA and you may have to buy them here, but see #2 and #3. If you don't know anyone with an LTC that will take your collection in the event of confiscation the police will transfer it to an FFL of your choosing (if you write them a letter within a week...OMG the laws here) OR a crappy bonded warehouse (see #3). Neither will transfer off-roster pistols back to you.
  7. There is no telling how the courts and police will actually interpret or enforce law, but I would assume it would be in the manner that is least advantageous to you. That means actual, marked 10 round mags, no mag-blocks, no assuming the AWB doesn't apply to an SBR etc.
Am I over-paranoid and taking this to the extreme? You betcha. But my goal is to minimize risk for the next year and a half until my GF finishes grad school and we move out of here. I want to minimize the chance of an expensive trip through the legal system during that time.
Spot on. The mass government is not interested in the RKBA. Law Enforcement, the courts, all of it is against you.

If you belive otherwise you are deeply naive.

Im moving to MA soon and looking to get ready for the silly MA compliance rules.

Currently, I have a p365 xmacro which obviously cant come with me since the gun design itself is very new so all the mags are going to be unique to it and new as well. And it doesnt make much sense to bring a fullsize gun like this that can only run 10rd mags.

So, the question is:

What modern pistol can I buy (meaning, still being manufactured in the last few years) that will work with any preban mag?

What I know of so far: USP 9mm, Sig P22x models, and of course Glock 19/17s.

Ideally looking for something more compact than fullsize if possible!

Especially interested in guns I need to buy now (ie- a gen5 g19) that I wont be able to get once I am a resident.
Just an fyi, Sig makes a 10 round mag for the xmacro. I received mine a few weeks ago. They are 59.00 bucks. Hope this helps you out.

Unfortunately I think you guys missed the new P365 XMacro, 3 free mag promo. It was kinda awesome. Maybe you can write CS and sweet talk them into a late submission.

Glock magazines are about $21 each. $60 for a magazine is indefensible. SIG is raping their customers.

“I’m still getting raped but just not as bad” doesn’t fly.
You guys are funny, magazine prices are all over the place. MBX mags for your 2011 pistol are $130. I’ve also seen $150 prices for SVI mags tuned by Bevin Grams back in 2005.

Back
Top Bottom