• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Molle backpacks.

The recent issue with Sandy has me thinking about a shtf bag.

Ive recently been contemplating methods of carrying my spare mags and firearm gear, with also storage of some shtf essentials.

I was looking at tactical chest rigs with bags on the back... And although I have a red dot and flashlight on my AR... A chest rig is a little too tactical tommy for me. But not much.

Then i was considering just using a backpack i have and buying a kydex mag carrier for my ar and pistol mags. But I cant bring myself to spending 100+ on a small kydex part... Only to solve my ammo carrying needs.

My most recent thought is a medium sized molle backpack that had a strap that clips around the waste to allow me to attach some soft mag pouches in front of me.

Ive been google searching for a while and found a few, but i really wanted the forums input. I was hoping to keep this under 100.

I appologize for my grammar. At 2 today i found out work is cancelled tomorrow. Been drinking ever since.

Thanks

Derek

[rofl] I havent been drinking since 2 but I would like some recommendations as well. Not only on decent pack recommendations but ideas for basic necessities to put in it.

sounds like you want an "assault" bag and some type of fighting load carrier or load bearing vest.

the M.O.L.L.E stuff is okay EXCEPT for the ruck sack itself. i got a vest for like $50 bucks that holds 3 AR mags, 3 pistol mags and has a couple other pouches to put smokes, lighter, chap stick ect.

that vest has loops at the bottom so i attached it to a "duty" belt with a holster attached to it. the whole thing weighed about 8 pounds loaded with mags and gun.

*there is no "ONE ALL" for these things... i know that set up would work well with a back pack or hiking pack because it is NOT body armor or a plate carrier.

-another good thing about the MOLLE gear is that you can mix and match it with just about anything (backhawk, safariland, "TACTICAL THOMAS Starter kit, intermediate WANNA-BE kit ect ) and make it the way you want it.

i also have a camel back with ABC's (med), water, snacks and can throw in a camera, box of ammo or two, poncho, space blanket and hit the road. it's not tactical at all.

I like the design of this bag. But I dont trust the quality coming from an airsoft site.

It appears the waist band straps can accomodate soft mag carriers etc.

e6u4u5az.jpg

What size pack are you looking for?

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2

Im not positive on any specifics. But something around the same size as a regular school backpack. Maybe marginally larger.

Excuse my ignorance, im a newbie to packs, rigs, etc.

I like the design of this bag. But I dont trust the quality coming from an airsoft site.

It appears the waist band straps can accomodate soft mag carriers etc.

we used the "real ones" in Kosovo and Iraq. the real ones are solid bags. 400+ of SAW ammo, MRE's, water, socks, poncho's, batteries, radios, GPS ect... - we didn't have any problems with them.

However, our bags did not have the thick waist strap / kidney pads. and even if they did, i would NOT load them down with ammo. IMO, if you want the ammo on the bag, put it in the bag or a pouch on the actual bag itself. you'd be surprised how easily stuff snags when you have a bunch crap hanging of your straps.

you want your spare mags closer to your body as well. [wink] -plus, if you have to ditch the pack????

If you want more concealment then try the 5.11 Covert 18.

From what you said you want to look at 2000 - 3000 cubic inches. Thats what you would expect to use for a standard one day hike.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2

Blue force gear overlord pack. Used out in Afghanistan as my assault bag/72 hour bag. Molle... Durable.. Velcro interior with a ton of options for compatible pouches and such inside. Holds a lot, and the beaver tail flap on the front (you'll see when you look it up.) Leaves you options for extra externally stored things. Expensive... But it's my shtf bag and has been used in real shtf situations... Priceless.

Kelty makes some amazingly well put together bags, and they are not over the top tacticool looking either. I scored a Kelty 2300 for under $60 and it was, without a doubt, one of the soundest investments I've made in a product. This is the Kelty 2500, which is marked down to $99 from $250, and I'm sure it's also very much worth the price tag:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WXUFL6/?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=ur2&m=A1G6TSWPQORPYY&n=&s=&tag=slickguns-20&v=glance

I really dont want anything "tactical" looking and would prefer a hiking style pack, but I wondered as many hiking packs are built very light weight if they would hold up to abuse like a military style pack

You can find a large selection on cheaperthandirt.com. They are cheap and the reviews reflect this with a lot of quality issues.

This is something that you don't want to skimp on. If you get a decent one, you will have it the rest of your life. The 5.11 RUSH 72 VTAC is an excellent molle with a lot of compartments including a separate hydration compartment. Optics planet has it for about as low a price as I think you will find- http://www.opticsplanet.com/511-rush-72-vtac-backpack-58602.html

opplanet-511-backpack-58602-188.jpg

I like the rush 72 alot, unfortunately it lacks the waist band straps i was interested in for carrying spare mags.

you want your spare mags closer to your body as well. [wink] -plus, if you have to ditch the pack????

Ive been thinking more about this. I also realized with a big backpack on I wouldnt be able to do anything like sit in a car or chair. Meaning while doing so Id have to ditch my spare mags since they are attached to the pack.

I think ill just look for a sturdy bag that can hold some necessities, medical kits, and a heavy ammo can, and find some mag carriers for my belt.

Derek

Ive been thinking more about this. I also realized with a big backpack on I wouldnt be able to do anything like sit in a car or chair. Meaning while doing so Id have to ditch my spare mags since they are attached to the pack.

I think ill just look for a sturdy bag that can hold some necessities, medical kits, and a heavy ammo can, and find some mag carriers for my belt.

Derek

it's going to suck either way, but when you live out of a back pack for a couple days you'll realize how important weight distribution is. [laugh]

i wish i'd saved some of those old packing lists we had for our assault bags. for the most part, they had food, water, ammo, first aid and some time of shelder (poncho, space blanket), 1 or 2 pairs of socks, one or two t-shirts and hygene (baby wipes, tooth brush/paste).

i could see dumping a couple of mags worth of ammo into the pack, say a 50rd box of pistol ammo and a 200rd value pack of Federal 5.56... that's almost an extra combat load of ammo while having 2-3 pistol mags and 3-5 AR mags on your body....

any of thos bags posted previously would work. like this one: http://store.tssi-ops.com/p-689-tacops-ycam-tactical-backpack.aspx

i have one of the medical kits, it's bulky and it sucks to carry big time, but the gear inside can be removed and attached to almost any other bag.

This is the best pack I have ever purched http://www.majorsurplus.com/Mil-Pack-45-P13870C2352.aspx
Our 45 liter pack measures 26"T x 17"W x 9"D. Main compartment 21½"T x 14"W x 8"D, two side pouches measure 12"T x 6"W x 2½"D each have covered nylon zippers. Top compartment with zipper access is 2½"T x 10½"W x 7½"D. Zippered map compartment in the rear of the cover. Weighs 2.88 lbs. Please specify color.
It has a inner rubber liner that keeps your stuff nice and dry in crappy weather.

I dragged one of the Maxpedition Falcons all over the world with me when I was contracting. Helicopters, ships, oil rigs, up and down water towers and cell towers loaded up with all kinds of gear and test equipment. Held up really well and is a perfect size for a carry on. Gave it to a buddy of mine (who's on this board) who does a lot of travelling when I stopped being so nomadic. I've got a couple 5.11 Rush24's that I used for military duty that show almost no signs of wear after 3 years of use. But it was Air Force type stuff, not real military field work.

I went through this a few years ago when looking for the "perfect" pack for hunting.

I ended up with the Voodoo Tactical Enhanced Medium Molle Assault Pack. Good sized. Light weight, but durable. Takes a water bladder (picked up at WM). I ended up purchasing the pack from the Barre (VT) Army-Navy Store, but you can find them lots of places on-line. I ended up with ACU digital camo. I got several small molle attachment pouches, for shot shells, first-aid kit, etc. Very happy with my purchase, for the price especially (under $80).

Last edited:

Another option might be a lumbar-style pack like the Kifaru tailgunner - doesn't hold as much but sits lower on you so you can add another backpack, or use your upper body for things like swinging a long blade or whatever.

http://www.kifaru.net/tailgunner1.html

I might be decreasing my options down to an "active shooter bag".

I think it makes most sense to keep this bag in my car. Small bag with a firearm cleaning kit, medical kit, some protien bars/water, and a space blanket. Most have outside pockets for some spare mags.

I have a Condor 3 Day.

http://www.uscav.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=16985&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&cm_mmc=Google%20Base-_-Products-_-SF-_-V1&cvsfa=1007&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=33303635302d3539343434

I have about 45 miles hiking with it, no signs of abrasion. The lower back pad is great and ventilation is very good for the price. If you want a nice molle pack I would highly recommend it.

If you want something non-molle, non-taticool looking, I would get a Gregor daypack. Buy once, cry once.

The last thing you want is for your BOB to break when you need it or be so uncomfortable that it becomes a hindrance rather than a help. Seriously, you're prepping for a life altering/threatening situation. Spend accordingly.

Last edited:
I dragged one of the Maxpedition Falcons all over the world with me when I was contracting. Helicopters, ships, oil rigs, up and down water towers and cell towers loaded up with all kinds of gear and test equipment. Held up really well and is a perfect size for a carry on. Gave it to a buddy of mine (who's on this board) who does a lot of travelling when I stopped being so nomadic. I've got a couple 5.11 Rush24's that I used for military duty that show almost no signs of wear after 3 years of use. But it was Air Force type stuff, not real military field work.

This bag continues to travel the world with no signs of giving up yet. I added a small dump pouch so I can bring my lunch onto the plane with me. Aside from adjusting the straps and filling it with my own crap, the bag is GTG - Tap Tap, All Day Long. Best Hand-me-down Ever.

Like ive always believed... The best thinking is done on the john.

I determined I want a shtf bag without outside knife or magazine carriers. Not every shtf situation provides a reason to brandish an ar15 or its magazines.

I decided to find a chest rig/ bib to keep in my backpack that can snap onto the front of my backpack. The front bib will have a holster and magazine pouches.

Allowing me options whether the situation calls for the magazines/guns to be open carried

I have a surplus ILBE main pack and assault pack which I picked up at the flea market for cheep money. Both did need a couple minor easy repairs when I picked them up other then that they work great for me and are holding up just fine. I have put the main pack through some paces lugging heavy loads out to my long range sweet spot.

Back
Top Bottom