Moms Demand at UMass Lowell 10-26

Mad Russian and I taught a safety class at UMA yesterday for 20-25 people... keep fightin the good fight.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

Mad Russian and I taught a safety class at UMA yesterday for 20-25 people... keep fightin the good fight.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...
We had 11 people for ours Saturday, Campus police supplied actual firearms for us to use as well. It's been a great few days.

Did they have anything to say to you , or just a few dirty looks?

I wonder when they will start demanding the firearms club be eliminated.
Gunz and School , The horror.

Last edited:
Did they have anything to say to you , or just a few dirty looks?

I wonder when they will start demanding the firearms club be eliminated.
Gunz and School , The horror.
We had one woman come over and had a reasonable debate. She was woefully misguided and assumed we were carrying. I can't eye roll hard enough.

Congrats on the gun club getting some face time. The more people see that the astro turf groups are full of it the more they will be willing to be open minded to the guys who support gun ownership.

Today's Recap

The alarm goes off on both my clock and cell phone. Reluctantly I turn them both off and start flipping through my email and Facebook feed like the morning paper. It is in this moment that I realize that the organization that I despise the most, in regards of threats to my rights, will be on campus today to lie about their purpose and lull you into believing they want to save the children and make everyone safer than they currently are. (Embellishment aside, this is effectively what they do to gain your support.)
These people were the women of Moms Demand Action, a sub-branch to Michael Bloomberg’s Everytown for Gun Safety advocacy group that focuses on gun control legislation targeted at limiting Americans from being able to purchase firearms.
My eyes nearly pop out of my head as I see this. Wait what? How did I not hear about this until today? I get out of bed to get ready and try and contemplate what it is I can do to counter this event. Open protest? Feasible, yet incredibly difficult to pull off if I end up being the only person to show up to it. Nothing says “dismissible gun nut” like a one man protest. I blast the UMass Lowell Firearms Club’s Facebook page with a post of the event and ask anyone who can to come down and spend time with me to counter the MDA women’s event.
I grab my pro-2a posters and camera, and run down to where they are holding the event. As I’m on my way down I get several messages from members of the gun club saying they will get there as soon as they can, excellent. As I get there, I find that MDA has taken the whole first floor lobby space to set up with,
“Eleven quilts stitched by people across the country to demonstrate the human toll of gun violence… on display in the “Mother’s Dream Quilt Project” exhibit”.
Frankly disgusted with the use of this kind of propaganda, I wait for club members to show up. We have a three man protest starting to form with a poster board with the words “Criminals Love Defenseless Victims!” written clearly on it. (I set it down to take these pictures)
_DSC1610.jpg_DSC1611.jpg
We are there for about twenty minutes before a University staff member comes up to us and says, “You didn’t reserve this space, you can’t be doing this here”. Thinking this is going to turn quickly into an open debate with a bad end, we point out that the MDA being there is the whole reason why we have shown up. “We have free speech zones for protests” Wait what? No that’s not okay because this is a public campus, you don’t just decide that there is a zone for that, I tell them. Sidestepping that statement, “Why would you show up to an event that focuses on victims of violence?” Because they are using those victims to further their political efforts to ban firearms in this country, “Wait, they do what?” and after explaining again, we asked why they were allowed on campus without student representation. “They paid to be here.”
They paid to be here.
I was floored. I can’t believe that the college allows outside influences like this to just rent space and preach intolerance and uneducated understandings of current laws already in place.
We were told to wait here and they were going to set us up with a table so that we looked more formal, and not so ragtag. We took a step closer to the MDA table and continued holding our sign.
After a few minutes, the campus event coordinator shows up and tells us he’s going to set us up with a table on the second floor. “Are you the person with the final say in this?” I ask. He tells me that he is and I respond with the fact I would much rather be standing without a table than to be hidden in the corner on a different floor. After going back and forth on the issue and making it abundantly clear we weren’t going anywhere else, he told us that he would bring a table down for us to use. We thanked him and held our spot. Finally they bring us a table with a cloth covering and a freshly printed Firearms Club sign, an extremely unexpected bonus. We continue to thank them for being so flexible on the matter and excitedly start unpacking our gear, game on Anti-Gunners.
_DSC1612.jpg_DSC1613.jpg_DSC1614.jpg_DSC1615.jpg
All of this took place around 10am, and as soon as we set our table up, MDA placed a sign that they were there from 8a-7p. Two can play this game. So there we sat for eight hours today countering their efforts all day with respectful, calm debating with a couple of their members. Obviously, we didn’t agree on anything that was discussed, but it was very rewarding that we ended up with the majority of visitors that came through today. We recruited eight new members, and gained just as many new followers of the Facebook page. A Great Success.
Looking back on the day, it was worth missing classes in order to challenge them with our presence and even out the field. I can’t be more proud of our members stepping up big and helping me, this is a big deal for me and hope this is a great sign of things to come.

The alarm goes off on both my clock and cell phone. Reluctantly I turn them both off and start flipping through my email and Facebook feed like the morning paper. It is in this moment that I realize that the organization that I despise the most, in regards of threats to my rights, will be on campus today to lie about their purpose and lull you into believing they want to save the children and make everyone safer than they currently are. (Embellishment aside, this is effectively what they do to gain your support.)
These people were the women of Moms Demand Action, a sub-branch to Michael Bloomberg’s Everytown for Gun Safety advocacy group that focuses on gun control legislation targeted at limiting Americans from being able to purchase firearms.
My eyes nearly pop out of my head as I see this. Wait what? How did I not hear about this until today? I get out of bed to get ready and try and contemplate what it is I can do to counter this event. Open protest? Feasible, yet incredibly difficult to pull off if I end up being the only person to show up to it. Nothing says “dismissible gun nut” like a one man protest. I blast the UMass Lowell Firearms Club’s Facebook page with a post of the event and ask anyone who can to come down and spend time with me to counter the MDA women’s event.
I grab my pro-2a posters and camera, and run down to where they are holding the event. As I’m on my way down I get several messages from members of the gun club saying they will get there as soon as they can, excellent. As I get there, I find that MDA has taken the whole first floor lobby space to set up with,
“Eleven quilts stitched by people across the country to demonstrate the human toll of gun violence… on display in the “Mother’s Dream Quilt Project” exhibit”.
Frankly disgusted with the use of this kind of propaganda, I wait for club members to show up. We have a three man protest starting to form with a poster board with the words “Criminals Love Defenseless Victims!” written clearly on it. (I set it down to take these pictures)
View attachment 149459View attachment 149460
We are there for about twenty minutes before a University staff member comes up to us and says, “You didn’t reserve this space, you can’t be doing this here”. Thinking this is going to turn quickly into an open debate with a bad end, we point out that the MDA being there is the whole reason why we have shown up. “We have free speech zones for protests” Wait what? No that’s not okay because this is a public campus, you don’t just decide that there is a zone for that, I tell them. Sidestepping that statement, “Why would you show up to an event that focuses on victims of violence?” Because they are using those victims to further their political efforts to ban firearms in this country, “Wait, they do what?” and after explaining again, we asked why they were allowed on campus without student representation. “They paid to be here.”
They paid to be here.
I was floored. I can’t believe that the college allows outside influences like this to just rent space and preach intolerance and uneducated understandings of current laws already in place.
We were told to wait here and they were going to set us up with a table so that we looked more formal, and not so ragtag. We took a step closer to the MDA table and continued holding our sign.
After a few minutes, the campus event coordinator shows up and tells us he’s going to set us up with a table on the second floor. “Are you the person with the final say in this?” I ask. He tells me that he is and I respond with the fact I would much rather be standing without a table than to be hidden in the corner on a different floor. After going back and forth on the issue and making it abundantly clear we weren’t going anywhere else, he told us that he would bring a table down for us to use. We thanked him and held our spot. Finally they bring us a table with a cloth covering and a freshly printed Firearms Club sign, an extremely unexpected bonus. We continue to thank them for being so flexible on the matter and excitedly start unpacking our gear, game on Anti-Gunners.
View attachment 149461View attachment 149462View attachment 149463View attachment 149464
All of this took place around 10am, and as soon as we set our table up, MDA placed a sign that they were there from 8a-7p. Two can play this game. So there we sat for eight hours today countering their efforts all day with respectful, calm debating with a couple of their members. Obviously, we didn’t agree on anything that was discussed, but it was very rewarding that we ended up with the majority of visitors that came through today. We recruited eight new members, and gained just as many new followers of the Facebook page. A Great Success.
Looking back on the day, it was worth missing classes in order to challenge them with our presence and even out the field. I can’t be more proud of our members stepping up big and helping me, this is a big deal for me and hope this is a great sign of things to come.

Bumping this up, nice work.

Yeah I was there and I've got to hand it to Zach for stepping up and giving up his whole day on a moments notice. He was also rock solid when we were almost told to move twice, and he had great arguement points when one of the Moms came over to talk to us.
"We aren't against the 2nd Ammendment."
3 mins later.
"Why does anyone need an Assault Weapon?"
FML

A tease of pics to come.

Thank you for your work today.

However, I don't want to, but I need to rain on your parade as your sign incorrectly shows the 1994 murder rate as 713.6/100,000 (which immediately jumped out at me as being incorrect, so I looked it up). The number, 713.6/100,000 is the Violent Crime Rate for 1994, not the murder rate as shown as 9/100,000 in the chart below. The FBI's Violent Crime Rate includes murder, nonnegligent manslaughter, rape, and aggravated assault.

Definition
In the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program, violent crime is composed of four offenses: murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. Violent crimes are defined in the UCR Program as those offenses which involve force or threat of force.

YearPopulation[SUP]1[/SUP]Violent
crime
Violent
crime
rate
Murder and
nonnegligent
manslaughter
Murder and
nonnegligent
manslaughter
rate
Rape
(legacy
definition)[SUP]2[/SUP]
Rape
(legacy
definition)
[SUP]2
[/SUP]
rate
RobberyRobbery
rate
Aggravated
assault
Aggravated
assault rate
Property
crime
Property
crime
rate
BurglaryBurglary
rate
Larceny-
theft
Larceny-
theft rate
Motor
vehicle
theft
Motor
vehicle
theft
rate
1994260,327,0211,857,670713.623,3269.0102,21639.3618,949237.81,113,179427.612,131,8734,660.22,712,7741,042.17,879,8123,026.91,539,287591.3

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...rHKN4CKGc7XPNBy2Q&sig2=ElDKnp3ki4bDh99EO4Lh5g

I'd rather be given the correct information, thanks. I'll go bop the minion on the head who made the sign.

However, I don't want to, but I need to rain on your parade as your sign incorrectly shows the 1994 murder rate as 713.6/100,000 (which immediately jumped out at me as being incorrect, so I looked it up). The number, 713.6/100,000 is the Violent Crime Rate for 1994, not the murder rate. The FBI's Violent Crime Rate includes murder, nonnegligent manslaughter, rape, and aggravated assault.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...rHKN4CKGc7XPNBy2Q&sig2=ElDKnp3ki4bDh99EO4Lh5g

wow.. when I was there it was a much more conservative campus with all the Science, Tech & Engineering majors.. I recall Gloria Steinem getting severely booed at my graduation.

Yeah - I don't remember any of this crap going on when I was there.

I do remember a bunch of people getting upset at the guy who drew the cartoon in "The Connector" (campus newspaper) - when I was there.

Ted Kennedy was supposed to come speak at some event. Everybody waited around for him and he showed up like two hours late.

So the next week in the newspaper there was a 2 panel cartoon.

1st panel: bunch of people standing around in an auditorium wondering where Ted was.

2nd panel : just showed a tow truck pulling car out of the river under the bridge on University Ave.

[rofl]

Yeah - I don't remember any of this crap going on when I was there.

I do remember a bunch of people getting upset at the guy who drew the cartoon in "The Connector" (campus newspaper) - when I was there.

Ted Kennedy was supposed to come speak at some event. Everybody waited around for him and he showed up like two hours late.

So the next week in the newspaper there was a 2 panel cartoon.

1st panel: bunch of people standing around in an auditorium wondering where Ted was.

2nd panel : just showed a tow truck pulling car out of the river under the bridge on University Ave.

[rofl]
****ING GOLD

View attachment 149459View attachment 149460
They paid to be here.
View attachment 149461View attachment 149462View attachment 149463View attachment 149464

That's awesome.

Good job.

However, I don't want to, but I need to rain on your parade as your sign incorrectly shows the 1994 murder rate as 713.6/100,000 (which immediately jumped out at me as being incorrect, so I looked it up). The number, 713.6/100,000 is the Violent Crime Rate for 1994, not the murder rate as shown as 9/100,000 in the chart below. The FBI's Violent Crime Rate includes murder, nonnegligent manslaughter, rape, and aggravated assault.

They're in school.

Think of it as part of their education.

Learning how to counter the BS that groups like Moms Demand Action spew out on a constant basis is a valuable skillset for many things in life - not just defending gun rights.

Back
Top Bottom