Moon Clip Question

FrankNA

NES Member
If the cylinder is or has been chamfered for moon clips, should you always use the moon clips to prevent a possible FTF? I recently picked up a used custom 686 that has been chamfered for moon clips and experienced a few FTF when not using the moon clips. The firing pin hit the primer but not enough to ignite it and fire the round. Second time around the first time FTF round fired no problem. I've had no FTF so far when using the moon clips. Total round count since I've owned it is 200 (.38 special) at this point. This is my first revolver and I am loving it.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Easy or difficult? This is my first revolver so be easy on me.... Any tutorials on how to do this?

Thanks!

Take the grips off, most likely a single screw at the base. The screw you want to check is what the screw driver is pointed to.

3spec.jpg

Some people think it's an adjustment screw [rolleyes] To tune the trigger the main spring should be bent and/or the strain screw trimmed. It should be seated all the way.

It was modified to use clips. Maybe you want to use them.

I find it much easier anyways. I can load them up at my leisure and bring them to the range.

It helps to have more than a couple of them though.

Bob

I'll remove the grip and tighten the screw as indicated - thanks for your advice. I like the moon clips but it did not take long to realize that a tool is needed to load/unload or you'll either bend the moon clip, cut your fingers or both. I saw a load/unload device that I'm going to get as well as a few more moon clips. I have 4 right now but can see the benefit of loading a bunch at home and then having them ready to go when at the range.

Some moon clips are brass specific. You may want to try different brands to see what fits best.

A demooner is always a good idea. I have made a couple, but prefer the screwdriver type from Brownels.

Bob

Get some plastic moon clips from EZmoonclip.com. They work fine and you need no tools at all.

I buy moon clips 1-200 at a time. I made a de-Mooney from a piece of copper pipe. It is long enough to hold 6 pieces of brass. The moon loader tool sold by revolver supply works great and is well worth it.

If the cylinder was cut it makes sense the main spring tension screw was backed off. The previous owner probably or perhaps intended to shoot it competitively. He probably reloaded as well. Mine are all backed off and set to ignight federal primers which are in my experience the softest and easiest.

Out of curiosity what kind of ammunition are you using?

BMT mooner. Its expensive but worth it.

45 acp moonclips are thick, cheap, easy to load and unload and don't bend easily.

38/357 clips are thin, brass specific, and bend easily. A good mooner/demooner like the BMT helps preserve the clips.

Is it a 6-shot 686 or a 686+? Revolver supply has good prices on 7-shot 686+ clips and 8-shot 627 clips.

I buy moon clips 1-200 at a time. I made a de-Mooney from a piece of copper pipe. It is long enough to hold 6 pieces of brass. The moon loader tool sold by revolver supply works great and is well worth it.

Demooning a 38/357 converted gun is a little different. The clips bend very easy and tubing just doesn't cut it.

To the OP, There are tools designed for loading and for unloading. Make sure your tool fits the brass.

Here is a good tool. Made and designed by a MA resident. They are sold in many places but here is the original

http://www.mooncliptool.com/

Clint is a great guy to deal with.

One thing that makes a good demooner for 38spl is an old golf club shaft

Last edited:
saltydude: Winchester, which is the only brand I've shot through it so far. I have some American Eagle and Fiocchi I have not tried yet.

eisenhow: I'll have to check out the BMT Mooner when I have a chance. 686+ 7 Shot

TY43215: I looked at that tool several times and it seemed like a good deal as it loaded and unloaded all in one tool.

Rimless cartridges can be used without a moon clip because the revolver's cylinder chambers are machined with a step to support the case mouth. Rimmed cartridges would be a problem because the cylinder chamber has no step as the round is supported by its rim. When the cylinder is machined to accept moon clips, enough material may be removed so that the rimmed cartridge alone will not have enough support to hold it in place for a solid hit from the hammer.

Rimless cartridges can be used without a moon clip because the revolver's cylinder chambers are machined with a step to support the case mouth. Rimmed cartridges would be a problem because the cylinder chamber has no step as the round is supported by its rim. When the cylinder is machined to accept moon clips, enough material may be removed so that the rimmed cartridge alone will not have enough support to hold it in place for a solid hit from the hammer.

I have owned three converted revolvers and have shot revolvers since 1974. 38spl headspaces off the rim and this discussion is on a converted 686. If the cylinder is correctly cut (Per the instructions Tom at TK Custom supplied) a 686 or the J frames I had done will work without the clips. The extractor and the cylinder edge not removed are plenty. Don't want the new revolver shooter confused on this.

As far as brass, some moonclips can be very brass sensitive. I would settle on moonclips first and then figure out which brass to use. If you are using the 686 as a range gun, fine. If using it for concealed carry (You never said) I would stick to speed loaders. The moonclips bend in your pocket, I found out the hard way with my Jframe. No one makes good concealed carry holders except for DelFatti and I am not sure he even makes them now

Some good moonclips can be had through TK Customs. Moonclip.com He will tell you what brass to use

Last edited:
I have owned three converted revolvers and have shot revolvers since 1974. 38spl headspaces off the rim and this discussion is on a converted 686. If the cylinder is correctly cut (Per the instructions Tom at TK Custom supplied) a 686 or the J frames I had done will work without the clips. The extractor and the cylinder edge not removed are plenty. Don't want the new revolver shooter confused on this.

As far as brass, some moonclips can be very brass sensitive. I would settle on moonclips first and then figure out which brass to use. If you are using the 686 as a range gun, fine. If using it for concealed carry (You never said) I would stick to speed loaders. The moonclips bend in your pocket, I found out the hard way with my Jframe. No one makes good concealed carry holders except for DelFatti and I am not sure he even makes them now

Some good moonclips can be had through TK Customs. Moonclip.com He will tell you what brass to use

Right now I'm using it as a range gun, but I'd like to CC it as well with the right holster (Milt Sparks VM II perhaps...). The 3" barrel along with compact Altamont Target grips lends itself well to CC'ing although I'd probably wait until the cooler fall weather when CC'ing a bit larger gun is easier from a concealment standpoint.

I would hate to be tied into using moon clips in a CC gun, especially if I decided to carry speed loaders as you suggested. I may try to tighten the main spring tension screw and fire off 50 -100 rounds or more without moon clips to see if that remedies the problem. I obviously want to have complete confidence in my firearm if I were to CC it for personal protection.

I still like the idea of using moon clips as it makes great sense to load up a bunch at home and then head off to the range for an hour or so of uninterrupted target shooting. Not having to unload/reload a half dozen moon clips while at the range is a real time saver. I'll be sure to check out TK Customs for advice on which moon clips are best for me.

Right now I'm using it as a range gun, but I'd like to CC it as well with the right holster (Milt Sparks VM II perhaps...). The 3" barrel along with compact Altamont Target grips lends itself well to CC'ing although I'd probably wait until the cooler fall weather when CC'ing a bit larger gun is easier from a concealment standpoint.

I would hate to be tied into using moon clips in a CC gun, especially if I decided to carry speed loaders as you suggested. I may try to tighten the main spring tension screw and fire off 50 -100 rounds or more without moon clips to see if that remedies the problem. I obviously want to have complete confidence in my firearm if I were to CC it for personal protection.

I still like the idea of using moon clips as it makes great sense to load up a bunch at home and then head off to the range for an hour or so of uninterrupted target shooting. Not having to unload/reload a half dozen moon clips while at the range is a real time saver. I'll be sure to check out TK Customs for advice on which moon clips are best for me.

If you do not figure out the light strikes, I have worked on S&W revolvers since going to the factory Armorer school in 1981 and would be happy to look at it.

For a holster, check out the Hideaway from Ritchie Leather. It works real well for my 3" 66 http://www.ritchieholsters.com/catalog/p-100012/hideaway

If you do not figure out the light strikes, I have worked on S&W revolvers since going to the factory Armorer school in 1981 and would be happy to look at it.

For a holster, check out the Hideaway from Ritchie Leather. It works real well for my 3" 66 http://www.ritchieholsters.com/catalog/p-100012/hideaway

Thanks for your advice, offer to help and the link to Richie Holsters. I have a couple of busy weeks ahead and will have to find some range time to see if adjusting the tension screw resolves the problem. Will advise if this issue gets solved or not.

Thanks to all for your info!

Remember that the cylinder is cut to accommodate the moon clip, the whole outer edge of the cylinder is uncut during the conversion. I have a 686 that I had cut for moonclips and it works totally fine without clips.

I Don't recommend just screwing in the strain screw fully if it isn't seated. I had a trigger job on my 686 and had the trigger tuned for Federal primers, which are the easiest to ignite. It will touch off CCI primers 2/3rd of the time. The gunsmith used locktite and a not fully seated strain screw and the gun has been perfect for hundreds of rounds. Now if I go to sell it, I will tighten the screw to ignite any primer.

Chris

I Don't recommend just screwing in the strain screw fully if it isn't seated. I had a trigger job on my 686 and had the trigger tuned for Federal primers, which are the easiest to ignite. It will touch off CCI primers 2/3rd of the time. The gunsmith used locktite and a not fully seated strain screw and the gun has been perfect for hundreds of rounds. Now if I go to sell it, I will tighten the screw to ignite any primer.

Chris

A better solution would be buy an extra $2 strain screw and trim it to the proper length for Federals. If you want to use any primer put the original one back in. If you use locktite it will eventually back out at the worst possible time.

781378.jpg

Update: I adjusted the tension screw all the way in. It was backed out about 1.5 - 2 turns from screwed in all the way. Just wondering why having the screw backed out a bit for certain ammo makes a difference? I would think that having the ability to shoot any ammo with or without moon clips without fear of FTF would be the right thing to do unless it's a competitive shooting thing?

I still have to get to tne range and pop off a 100 rounds or so to see if i get any FTF without the moon clips. I'm really liking how a revolver feels and handles compared to a semi-auto. Still like EDC'ing my Sig 938 but am looking forward to CC'ing my new 686 3" once I can figure out a decent holster that is able to handle a 36 ounce chunk of iron and still be fairly comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom