Moon Island

What I need to know what the course is, distances, type of target and so on.

Thanks.

i googled "boston ltc moon island" and found this:

The applicant will fire a total of 30 rounds at a modified 25-yard bullseye target with 10, 9 and 8 rings. Each round has a value of 10 points. A perfect score would be 300. (30 hits inside the 10 ring.) A hit inside the 9 ring is 9 points. A hit in the 8 ring is 8 points. Any hits outside of the 8 ring are counted as zero points. A minimum of 210 points (70% of 300 points) is required to pass the Range Test. Any applicant may be disqualified for not handling the revolver safely.

Applicants will fire the first 12 rounds from the seven-yard line, double action, with a one-hand hold. The remaining 18 rounds will be fired from the fifteen yard line, either single or double action, with either a one or two hand hold. The choice is made by the applicant.

in my experience i have never had to fire one handed the three times i've done the test.

when i prepared a friend of mine i had her fire one handed just in case.
when she got on the firing line the cop said "it's always better to shoot with both hands so shoot with both if you'd like" and she did...got the first 12 in the ten ring!

Thanks. Two handed seems to be the consensus. The only BPD range guy I knew was a competitive pistol and rifle shooter. It would make sense that the officers at the range are more into guns than most officers.

i googled "boston ltc moon island" and found this:

The applicant will fire a total of 30 rounds at a modified 25-yard bullseye target with 10, 9 and 8 rings. Each round has a value of 10 points. A perfect score would be 300. (30 hits inside the 10 ring.) A hit inside the 9 ring is 9 points. A hit in the 8 ring is 8 points. Any hits outside of the 8 ring are counted as zero points. A minimum of 210 points (70% of 300 points) is required to pass the Range Test. Any applicant may be disqualified for not handling the revolver safely.

Applicants will fire the first 12 rounds from the seven-yard line, double action, with a one-hand hold. The remaining 18 rounds will be fired from the fifteen yard line, either single or double action, with either a one or two hand hold. The choice is made by the applicant.

in my experience i have never had to fire one handed the three times i've done the test.

when i prepared a friend of mine i had her fire one handed just in case.
when she got on the firing line the cop said "it's always better to shoot with both hands so shoot with both if you'd like" and she did...got the first 12 in the ten ring!

I didn't read the whole 16 page thread...
Has anyone made the observation that the "range" is actually a late 19th century sewage storage tank? [rofl]

Yep, it's next to the long abandoned sewage treatment plant. I made many trips out there starting in 1978 and the tanks were long abandoned then. Why they were never filled in is beyond me.

As a FYI to anyone from Boston which doesn't own a car, when I tried to take a cab from North Quincy Station to the test in December none of the Boston or Quincy cab companies were willing to take me out there. So you will need to borrow/rent a car, or get a ride from a friend. The form given by BPD tells you to be there 15-20 minutes early but the gatehouse guards will not anyone up to the range earlier than 15 minutes prior to their appointment anymore.

The given excuse from every single cab company was that they weren't allowed to be picking up and dropping off passengers in different cities (more likely the location is too remote for them to consider it profitable). I wound up walking a few miles from North Quincy Station to the causeway gatehouse and very fortunately catching a ride with another person taking the test. No one is allowed to walk Moon Island Road for safety reasons,

Other info:
That day 9/10 people passed. Passing scores ranged from 211 to 283 with most in the 230 range.

Mix of Ruger Security Six, Speed Six, S&W model 10s & a VERY NICE model 586 were passed out. Bullets were copper coated round nose in what appeared to be alloy casings. Unknown if they were fully coated or lead free (might make sense for the location's environmental sensitivity/PCness of Boston's administration/general public health & liability.

Range staff no longer allows people to take their targets home .

Range staff was very professional. Focused on safety. Gave encouragement to everyone and tips to anyone that was struggling.

They estimated a 10-12 week turn around time-frame for LTC issuance from the time of the test.

EDIT:

Should also add that they wanted everyone to shoot with two hands. Double action for the first 12 at the closer distance, and allowed double or single (your choice) for the final 18 at the further distance.

Last edited:
As a FYI to anyone from Boston which doesn't own a car, when I tried to take a cab from North Quincy Station to the test in December none of the Boston or Quincy cab companies were willing to take me out there. So you will need to borrow/rent a car, or get a ride from a friend. The form given by BPD tells you to be there 15-20 minutes early but the gatehouse guards will not anyone up to the range earlier than 15 minutes prior to their appointment anymore.

The given excuse from every single cab company was that they weren't allowed to be picking up and dropping off passengers in different cities (more likely the location is too remote for them to consider it profitable). I wound up walking a few miles from North Quincy Station to the causeway gatehouse and very fortunately catching a ride with another person taking the test. No one is allowed to walk Moon Island Road for safety reasons,

Other info:
That day 9/10 people passed. Passing scores ranged from 211 to 283 with most in the 230 range.

Mix of Ruger Security Six, Speed Six, S&W model 10s & a VERY NICE model 586 were passed out. Bullets were copper coated round nose in what appeared to be alloy casings. Unknown if they were fully coated or lead free (might make sense for the location's environmental sensitivity/PCness of Boston's administration/general public health & liability.

Range staff no longer allows people to take their targets home .

Range staff was very professional. Focused on safety. Gave encouragement to everyone and tips to anyone that was struggling.

They estimated a 10-12 week turn around time-frame for LTC issuance from the time of the test.

Great info. Many thanks from this instructor who has coached a lot of Moon Island applicants.

Maybe a Quincy thing, but I don't think so. Boston only cares about out of town cabs picking up "street hales" in Boston. If you call a cab to come to a specific address in Boston, that's allowed. You're probably right about there being no profit in a trip out there. If they drive you out and wait, then they are either going to charge you wait time or lose money. If they drive you out and drop you off, then they are dead heading all the way back to Quincy. Either way, they don't make any money.

Back
Top Bottom