• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moon Island

i just had my qualification at moon island today .. shot a 288. top score out of all the applicants. also the youngest lOL, when we go back inside the office the officer told everyone that we all passed, which is funny because someone shot a 180, and the lady next to me was shaking so much, she was just shooting, not even aiming, it was pretty scary to know that she passed,. but its really not as bad as i thought

In all fairness, the guys on the range are great. There are many, many Boston PD officers who don't support the current licensing laws or policies and it's a big mistake to think they do. Even Commissioner Davis, who one would assume is supportive of Mayor Menino's policies, has testified favorably towards lawful gun owners.

No sense in alienating those who are otherwise well disposed to you: the police know who the bad guys are and are not. Last time I renewed I met a guy in BPD who was also a Garand and Carbine collector and asked how to go about getting a C&R.

If they're so great why don't they clean the gun so it will function properly? Or is it part of the test to clean it yourself? I don't understand defending any cop that is part of the system. By being any part of it, they are continuing the cycle of rights violations. Unless they are actively trying to get it changed.

I agree with garandman. I took my test in March of this year. Yes the revolvers could have been cleaner, but the test is very simple to pass pending you are not an eldery persson. I agree that once a person reaches a certain age they should not be forced to qualify on a cold February morning in order to keep their LTC.

As far as the officers are concerned, they could not have been nicer. As far as "continuing the cycle" what do you expect them to do, walk off the job? They dont make the rules or regulations they enforce them. Sure maybe they could advocate behing the scenes that the test is BS...but I think they would have to start with Mumbles. Not sure if he is taking vistors during his 10th hospital stay of the year.

i just had my qualification at moon island today .. shot a 288. top score out of all the applicants. also the youngest lOL, when we go back inside the office the officer told everyone that we all passed, which is funny because someone shot a 180, and the lady next to me was shaking so much, she was just shooting, not even aiming, it was pretty scary to know that she passed,. but its really not as bad as i thought

This is your first post. How nice is it to come here and announce that you're a Superstar? Do you know what happens to young Superstars? They grow older. Yet they continue on in life and accept challenges that they shouldn't have to endure. For many, one of those challenges is at Moon Island.
Did someone put you in charge of scoring?
The BPD officers at Moon Island do not "Pass" anyone who doesn't qualify.
It takes a minimum score of 210.
The lady next to you was shaky-someday if you live long enough you may understand what that's like. You think it is scary that she passed? What I think is even scarier is your lack of maturity as reflected by your comments.
Congratulations on your high score.
Best regards.

+1
This is your first post. How nice is it to come here and announce that you're a Superstar? Do you know what happens to young Superstars? They grow older. Yet they continue on in life and accept challenges that they shouldn't have to endure. For many, one of those challenges is at Moon Island.
Did someone put you in charge of scoring?
The BPD officers at Moon Island do not "Pass" anyone who doesn't qualify.
It takes a minimum score of 210.
The lady next to you was shaky-someday if you live long enough you may understand what that's like. You think it is scary that she passed? What I think is even scarier is your lack of maturity as reflected by your comments.
Congratulations on your high score.
Best regards.

they make you take the test with somebody elses gun?!? thats BS the whole test is BS that sucks I'm sorry

Without passing the test, you can't have a license. And without a license, you can't buy a gun. So for most people, they don't have a gun of their own to use, even if BPD would let them.

I feel for you Kimmie. Just renewed as well. This was the first time it was not snowing or raining during my Moon Island visit. I am no means old, nor am I a spring chicken (see just by using that phrase I got older). But shivering while shooting as the sun goes down is not fun.

But for all the grief giving I've read in this thread, it can be scary getting up on the firing line with some of the folks that are there to take the test. Some people cannot shot worth a darn and their gun handling skills are freaking scary.

I agree, folks have a right to own a firearm...but having a gun and not being able to shoot worth a darn thing is not the right way to protect yourself (unless you get yourself a nice scatter gun with your handgun, and that nice AR, and that other nice handgun you saw, and that other shotgun, and that really nice 308).

I know a few of those instructors out on the range at moon island and they're good people they wont let you fail unless something is really off/bad and your to stupid to listen to instructions. They do a pistol shoot out there in the fall for "cops for kids with cancer" and its a great time and they dont get to me recognition for it.

I guess Moon Island is a kind of filter for nut jobs, the person who show up under the influence, shoots them-self in the foot or waves the gun around. Other than that it is a test of your accuracy. It can't be for gun operating skills or they would have you use your own gun, not the wheel guns they provide, that few will ever carry and some have never used. I wish I knew the stats of just how many people failed at Moon. Is it worth the continued expense as a filter? Everyone has to sit across the deck with a BPD officer before going there. Shouldn't that be the filter?

Wow. Just wow. The test should not exist. Period. If it was such a great 'screening/filter' tool, I would think the rest of the state would be rushing to implement it. Age, gender, accuracy, has nothing to do with it. They are testing you to see if you can shoot a full sized revolver with a 13 pound trigger pull. How is that relevant? Some people can. Some people can't. If you can't, you don't get to be able to protect yourself. Great. And even worse, you have to prove that you can do this every six years. Why? I don't have to take a driving test every time I renew my license. This needs to go away.

I guess Moon Island is a kind of filter for nut jobs, the person who show up under the influence, shoots them-self in the foot or waves the gun around. Other than that it is a test of your accuracy. It can't be for gun operating skills or they would have you use your own gun, not the wheel guns they provide, that few will ever carry and some have never used. I wish I knew the stats of just how many people failed at Moon. Is it worth the continued expense as a filter? Everyone has to sit across the deck with a BPD officer before going there. Shouldn't that be the filter?

What other fundamental constitutional right should be subject to a "filter"?

Every time I read these posts, I fear for our future. If people supposedly on our side don't get it, how will our opponents ever get it?

Every time I read these posts, I fear for our future. If people supposedly on our side don't get it, how will our opponents ever get it?
Yes, this gets to the core of institutional discrimination.

These mechanisms have been used time and again to provide an front for such policies and should be forever associated with them - thus passing the stain and shame of these policies to any who support and implement them, but it seems we are doomed to repeat history.

The numbers of gun owners who continue to speak favorably about the "hoops & hurdles," such as Moon Island testing, placed in front of other gun owners, never ceases to amaze me. My goal is to be able to have a full and complete LTC without restrictions, not to have the rest of the state forced to institute the "restrictions" imposed on Boston residents.
Best regards.

Is there an additional charge, above the $100 license fee, to take the test on Moon Island?

Boston does NOT charge any additional fee.

Even on renewal, you MUST use their gun and ammo!

I was charged $50.

I'll bet Brookline has to pay Boston PD to use the range for the test (rental of gun/ammo), so I'm not surprised if they do indeed charge Brookline residents another $50 to do the test at Moon Island.

Realize that any MA BFS Instructor can give you the Brookline test at any range of their choosing, as long as they run the same test criteria as is done at Moon Island.

He shows his home as Brookline. Brookline took his $100. 00 for the license and he paid $50.00 to someone to run Brookline's mandatory firing range test at Moon Island.

Yup.

wow charging $50 for that test is absurd.

Riverside what step of the process are you at? I would like to hear your plan to get an unrestricted license. I have seen a couple people explain the way they are going about it, but never seen any follow up if they actually got a Class A with no restrictions. I hope you are able to get one. There would be hope for the rest of us.

I'll be out there again in March for the third time. I love the water and the harbor and it's a pretty cool place. In March, very cool, and usually windy. If you are going out in Winter, just remember

"The difference between adversity and adventure is attitude."

There are many BPD officers who believe in the RKBA and don't at all agree with the policies of their superiors. Just about the last thing they would do is post here.

If the test was so hard, Boston license applications would not be up 49% in the last year - which they are! We got ourselves some activists!

wow charging $50 for that test is absurd.

Really?

Ammo is free!

Targets are free!

Guns and gun repairs are free!

ROs work for free!

If someone does this as a business, $50 would be dirt cheap and they wouldn't make any money on it never mind pay for someone's time to be there. Oh yeah, many gun clubs hit up instructors for a fee per student too (typically $10) so I guess Boston PD should absorb the cost of providing a service to Brookline PD? [Keep in mind that $75 of that $100 application fee goes to the state, so the town does whatever they do on $25 gross!]

I'll agree that a test should not be necessary, but since it is, one should be a realist that time/consumables/repairs/capital costs all have a real dollar cost to someone.

The numbers of gun owners who continue to speak favorably about the "hoops & hurdles," such as Moon Island testing, placed in front of other gun owners, never ceases to amaze me. My goal is to be able to have a full and complete LTC without restrictions, not to have the rest of the state forced to institute the "restrictions" imposed on Boston residents.
Best regards.

U.S. Supreme Court agrees that reasonable restrictions imposed by states are lawful. Restrictions that limit possession by felons or patients just discharged from mental hospitals are appropriate in my mind. I also support Boston's requirement that all applicants demonstrate basic knowledge of how to handle a firearm safely.

When I was a kid, you could buy anything and shoot anywhere. There are way more people living on earth these days. Way more nutjobs also. Restrictions are the price we pay. You just can't drive down the road at 120mph+. If you want to drive 120mph, move to Utah.

U.S. Supreme Court agrees that reasonable restrictions imposed by states are lawful. Restrictions that limit possession by felons or patients just discharged from mental hospitals are appropriate in my mind. I also support Boston's requirement that all applicants demonstrate basic knowledge of how to handle a firearm safely.
What is "safely?"

In the progressive mind, guns kill on their own, so even owning one puts everyone around you at risk.

This is how poll tests happen. Of course we'd all like to ensure that anyone who votes has a clue what they are doing, but you give the state that power and they use it exclude dissent as they strip away everyone's rights.

Driving is not a fundamental right of self defense. There is no analogy there.

U.S. Supreme Court agrees that reasonable restrictions imposed by states are lawful. Restrictions that limit possession by felons or patients just discharged from mental hospitals are appropriate in my mind.

If someone is so dangerous or so sick that we can't trust them in public, we have much greater things to worry about than them following legal licensing procedures.

I also support Boston's requirement that all applicants demonstrate basic knowledge of how to handle a firearm safely.

How does a marksmanship test do that? What if the applicant has a physical disability that makes it impossible for them to pass the test?

Driving is not a fundamental right of self defense. There is no analogy there.

Even if it were, the requirements for obtaining and renewing a driver's license are far less onerous.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom