Moon Island

wow charging $50 for that test is absurd.

Riverside what step of the process are you at? I would like to hear your plan to get an unrestricted license. I have seen a couple people explain the way they are going about it, but never seen any follow up if they actually got a Class A with no restrictions. I hope you are able to get one. There would be hope for the rest of us.

I'm all set for another 6 years. I have no plans. Set your own course. and Good Luck.

U.S. Supreme Court agrees that reasonable restrictions imposed by states are lawful. Restrictions that limit possession by felons or patients just discharged from mental hospitals are appropriate in my mind. I also support Boston's requirement that all applicants demonstrate basic knowledge of how to handle a firearm safely.

When I was a kid, you could buy anything and shoot anywhere. There are way more people living on earth these days. Way more nutjobs also. Restrictions are the price we pay. You just can't drive down the road at 120mph+. If you want to drive 120mph, move to Utah.

WOW! You support Boston's restrictions on the LTC. Why do you believe that Boston residents should have to prove proficiency at Moon Island while most other licensing jurisdictions don't require anything else beyond the Safety classes? Is it your belief that Boston residents, other than yourself, are not responsible or safety conscious as those living outside of the city?
You're not a proponent of equal and fair treatment.

Last edited:
WOW! You support Boston's restrictions on the LTC. Why do you believe that Boston residents should have to prove proficiency at Moon Island while few other licensing jurisdictions don't require anything else beyond the Safety classes? /
That to my mind is the gist of the argument.

That to my mind is the gist of the argument.

I edited "few" to most. I must have been "fewming."
The Moon Island requirement is just one more of the inequities built into the Licensing system.
Boston and a few other local towns are making it difficult and discouraging for some applicants.
Moon Island is a lovely place. If it were open to the public for recreational shooting, I'd go often.
Passing the Moon Island Shooting Test should mean an un-restricted LTC-A will be issued.
However, passing the test doesn't get you anything much beyond a feeling of accomplishment and relief.
Best regards.

The numbers of gun owners who continue to speak favorably about the "hoops & hurdles," such as Moon Island testing, placed in front of other gun owners, never ceases to amaze me. My goal is to be able to have a full and complete LTC without restrictions, not to have the rest of the state forced to institute the "restrictions" imposed on Boston residents.
Best regards.

So your all set for another 6 years meaning you have or do not have restrictions on your LTC?

My comment was a criticism of posters who approve of "Moon Island" and Restrictions on Boston residents.
Some posters who are gunowners themselves have stated that "Moon Island" requirements "filter out" potential owners. I doubt any of those posters would like to voluntarily submit to a "Moon Island" test complete with surrendering their LTC should they fail.
My goal is NOT to have the rest of the state licensed the way Boston runs it, rather have Boston forced to license the way most of the Commonwealth does, without restrictions. I was not nor am I talking about my own LTC.
Best regards.

WOW! You support Boston's restrictions on the LTC. Why do you believe that Boston residents should have to prove proficiency at Moon Island while most other licensing jurisdictions don't require anything else beyond the Safety classes? Is it your belief that Boston residents, other than yourself, are not responsible or safety conscious as those living outside of the city?
You're not a proponent of equal and fair treatment.

NRA Basic Pistol is an 8 hour course that requires shooting a revolver and a pistol. NRA MANDATES that this course be taught with .22LR handguns (some instructors add on other calibers, but that is actually NOT part of the official course. NRA also mandates that the shooting is at ~15'.

Boston's test for people who have never shot before or only shot the .22s per NRA Basic Pistol puts them at an extreme disadvantage and the distances just add to that. It's intentional by those in power (not the ROs at Moon Island) to dissuade some people and fail others thus minimizing the number of Boston residents with permits!

My comment was a criticism of posters who approve of "Moon Island" and Restrictions on Boston residents.
Some posters who are gunowners themselves have stated that "Moon Island" requirements "filter out" potential owners. I doubt any of those posters would like to voluntarily submit to a "Moon Island" test complete with surrendering their LTC should they fail.
My goal is NOT to have the rest of the state licensed the way Boston runs it, rather have Boston forced to license the way most of the Commonwealth does, without restrictions. I was not nor am I talking about my own LTC.
Best regards.

See above.

What other fundamental constitutional right should be subject to a "filter"?

Every time I read these posts, I fear for our future. If people supposedly on our side don't get it, how will our opponents ever get it?
Good point. I'm brainwashed. Thanks for the reality check.

This is your first post. How nice is it to come here and announce that you're a Superstar? Do you know what happens to young Superstars? They grow older. Yet they continue on in life and accept challenges that they shouldn't have to endure. For many, one of those challenges is at Moon Island.
Did someone put you in charge of scoring?
The BPD officers at Moon Island do not "Pass" anyone who doesn't qualify.
It takes a minimum score of 210.
The lady next to you was shaky-someday if you live long enough you may understand what that's like. You think it is scary that she passed? What I think is even scarier is your lack of maturity as reflected by your comments.
Congratulations on your high score.
Best regards.

welll., i am very pleased with my score, and yes that was my first post, and did i SAY i was a superstar, no i didnt , and i didnt want to go to ms. i went because i had to , and the instructor who was outside scoring placed everyones scores on their targets in big bold letters and was yelling it out to all the shooters, so we all heard everyones scores, and the other instructor who said that every had passed wasnt even outside during the shoot, the shaky lady next to me shot a 198, she couldnt have been more then early 30's,. i dont come here trying to shit all over other peoples post on this forum, i just posted to let others know of my experience there and if someone where to go there someday that reads this theyll know that its not that bad and theres nothing to be anxious or nervous about,,, so why dont you stop being a DICK and if you have something to say to me, you can ALWAYSS PM me, i really dont care what your opinions are if your being a dick, but if your nice, i would listen and see the errors where i could have sounded cocky in my post, i wrote that when i was still pretty excited, and i doubt that you yourself have never written something that hasnt made you sound cocky,,

So the Brookline PD charged you $50? Boston's range fee was rule unlawful back in 1991 in MacNutt v. Boston, so I'm surprised that Brookline is doing this. You should demand your money back.

Very good point made here. The license fee is supposed to be $100. That is why I posted the original question about the fee structure.

welll., i am very pleased with my score, and yes that was my first post, and did i SAY i was a superstar, no i didnt , and i didnt want to go to ms. i went because i had to , and the instructor who was outside scoring placed everyones scores on their targets in big bold letters and was yelling it out to all the shooters, so we all heard everyones scores, and the other instructor who said that every had passed wasnt even outside during the shoot, the shaky lady next to me shot a 198, she couldnt have been more then early 30's,. i dont come here trying to shit all over other peoples post on this forum, i just posted to let others know of my experience there and if someone where to go there someday that reads this theyll know that its not that bad and theres nothing to be anxious or nervous about,,, so why dont you stop being a DICK and if you have something to say to me, you can ALWAYSS PM me, i really dont care what your opinions are if your being a dick, but if your nice, i would listen and see the errors where i could have sounded cocky in my post, i wrote that when i was still pretty excited, and i doubt that you yourself have never written something that hasnt made you sound cocky,,

Did you read through the other postings in this thread? Perhaps if you do, you may get a sense of why your post got the reaction it did. I was being nice. Your first post reflects a lack of maturity. Your second post reflects about the same.

Best regards.

I will just point out that I know Riverside and she is a very nice lady, not a "dick."

A friend of mine is taking the test soon and I'm helping him make sure that he's ready. Probably going a little overboard, but better that than the alternative. I know it's a 4" .38 revolver, but what brand/model? Something like a S&W Mod 10?

they were rugers, not sure of the model, when i did mine three separate times over the last 12 years.
i didn't even practice before the first one, i had shot before but not much at all.
i'm by no means a great shot and i scored 255-257 all three times (i've renewed twice).

A friend of mine is taking the test soon and I'm helping him make sure that he's ready. Probably going a little overboard, but better that than the alternative. I know it's a 4" .38 revolver, but what brand/model? Something like a S&W Mod 10?

Some people have reported Rugers, others S&W and I think a few said Colt.

Any of the 3 revolvers should do the trick as they all function almost identically (from the point of view of an applicant only the cylinder release is different and important to know).

Police guns typically have a groove rear sight.

I suspect that the S&Ws used are Model 10 (blue) or 64 (if SS).

No idea what they would use for Colts . . . maybe almost antique Police Positives?

Sweet, thanks for the info. He has practiced with my 4" Ruger Security 6 with target sights and factory grips and did pretty well for a new shooter. It's kind of silly that they give you a gun with a less than ideal double action pull- then they make you use it.

Anyone out there this morning? Six people took the test. There was one young woman who recently joined BRP (she'd belonged to Harvard before) and a young man from Southie applying for his first LTC.

Nice guys at the range, stressed that safety was first and tried to keep everyone relaxed. I managed to put two rounds directly above the scoring rings. resulting in my lowest (but still passing) score yet.

Contrary to the experience of some others, the pistol I had seemed to be very well maintained and accurate. The trigger pull was no problem either double or single action. Haven't fired one in years - I may have to buy a revolver!

I'm heading to Moon Island tomorrow morning. Anyone else taking the test then?
I'm hoping they don't cancel because of the snow, I've been waiting long enough for this.

Their last issued revolvers were Rugers in Stainless. I forget the number. Before that I think they had S&W Model 64s in various lengths.

I'm resurrecting this thread because a friend of a friend is apply in Brookline for a LTC and needs to go to Moon Island to qualify. He asked me if I'd help him practice. What I need to know what the course is, distances, type of target and so on. I'm sure it's in this thread, but if someone can point me to the post, it would save me from some searching.

Thanks.

Police guns typically have a groove rear sight.

I suspect that the S&Ws used are Model 10 (blue) or 64 (if SS).

No idea what they would use for Colts . . . maybe almost antique Police Positives?

Their last issued revolvers were Rugers in Stainless. I forget the number. Before that I think they had S&W Model 64s in various lengths.

I'm resurrecting this thread because a friend of a friend is apply in Brookline for a LTC and needs to go to Moon Island to qualify. He asked me if I'd help him practice. What I need to know what the course is, distances, type of target and so on. I'm sure it's in this thread, but if someone can point me to the post, it would save me from some searching.

Thanks.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...steps-on-how-to-apply-for-a-license-in-Boston

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom