Moral quandary.

The friend of your friends downward spiral is spinning.
Stay as far away as you can.
I agree with those above that it is a self-correcting problem, this guy will do himself in sooner rather than later.

Med Card + LTC soon will = No LTC.

Do you have a source on this? As far as I know you can be legally denied a firearm purchase if the FFL finds out you have an MMJ card, but MA has not said anything about being ineligible for both an LTC and MMJ card. It is illegal to be a marijuana user and purchase a firearm, but not illegal to be a marijuana user and have a firearms license (as ridiculous as that sounds).

Do you have a source on this? As far as I know you can be legally denied a firearm purchase if the FFL finds out you have an MMJ card, but MA has not said anything about being ineligible for both an LTC and MMJ card. It is illegal to be a marijuana user and purchase a firearm, but not illegal to be a marijuana user and have a firearms license (as ridiculous as that sounds).

Lol, fed case law says you're a prohibited person in this circumstance. This went to court and failed already.

Basically if an LE org that controls your LTC or whatever finds out you have an MMJ card, they can revoke your license(s). And there's absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Now, HOW that works on the ground in MA or not is another story. If an MMJ card is protected medical info and LE doesn't have access to
it, this only becomes a problem if you're dumb enough to keep that card in a place where someone can see it or you run your mouth.

I have not heard a single account of someone getting whacked in this condition in MA. Yet.

-Mike

Read it and weep. note the term 'possession' https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/o...-letter-marijuana-medicinal-purposes/download

Now, HOW that works on the ground in MA or not is another story.

That's what I was getting at. As far as I know, there is no sharing of that information and FFLs don't have access to the MA MMJ cardholder database.

I was referring to the state level (MA), not federal. Marijuana, even medical, is federally illegal, so all those laws are outright. I mean at the state level, MA, as far as I know, does not prevent you from getting an LTC if you have an MMJ card nor does MA revoke your LTC if you have one and then get an MMJ card.

There is a question on the LTC application about substance use, but it references having a record (getting busted) for having those substances as defined under MGL, not USC, and nothing about current use or anything relating to MMJ.

WRT that ATF letter, it seems it would be illegal to possess a firearm as an MMJ cardholder, but legal to have the LTC. Having an LTC doesn't mean you own a firearm necessarily.

Attachments

• 9873cPi.jpg
    9873cPi.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 9
Push him away from the side of your boat. Whether he swims or sinks is totally up to him. I suggest not getting involved.

What does his friend (your friend) think of his behavior? If he doesn’t have a problem with it, maybe you need a new friend.

I know how much we are judged by the actions of gun owners, lawful or otherwise.

I know a friend of a friend who is vocal on social media about their opiod prescription addiction, their MJ use, their MJ grows, their MJ buying and selling, their desire to "put holes in mf'ers who cheat them" (especially on above deals) AND their membership in a Hells Angels affiliated club.

When do you tell them to knock it off? Or at least tone it down? Unwanted attention could blow back on lawful owners, and that would make a monkey flinging poopfest seem like the ascension of a new pope by comparison.

Or is this a "mind your own business" scenario?
+1 on the myob. This stuff always blows back on those that get involved.

Back
Top Bottom