More HAM questions from a complete noob

So what do I do when I get this thing? Do I need to program in things like I did my scanner? Or do you just turn it on and start scanning for people talking?
I downloaded CHIRP already but not even sure what to do with it, I don't have any info to program into my radio yet. It is showing up tomorrow and I am getting excited to see what it can do. I know I wont be able to talk and chat yet until I get my lic., but it looks like there is going to be a big learning curve.

And yes, I did order the cable to connect to my PC.

You will have to program the radio to the freqs you want to listen to and scan. There is a yahoo site for the Baofengs that has all the questions answered. I think they also have some examples of "hoiw to fill in the blanks" in CHIRP.

I'll have to look up the site and send it to you.

The site is called:

baofeng_uv5r-Baofeng UV-5R

Last edited:
With Chirp you can directly enter repeaters from one of the repeater sites (repeaterbook.com, I think). That saves a ton of tedious hand entry with the associated mistakes.

Start with the repeaters close to home and work out.

Chip also has pre-canned files with the set-up for the FRS and GMRS frequencies. Note that it's illegal to transmit on those "walkie talkie" frequencies because the UV-5R has a detachable antenna and too much power.

With Chirp you can directly enter repeaters from one of the repeater sites (repeaterbook.com, I think). That saves a ton of tedious hand entry with the associated mistakes.

Start with the repeaters close to home and work out.

Chip also has pre-canned files with the set-up for the FRS and GMRS frequencies. Note that it's illegal to transmit on those "walkie talkie" frequencies because the UV-5R has a detachable antenna and too much power.
but you can listen. In chirp you can also block transmit on a saved feq. though I cannot remember how right now. I've done that on mine with the WX feqs. as well as the local police freq.

Thanks again! A lot to learn to say the least. Think I will bring my radio to class with me and see if they can help me as well. I know my neighbor messes around with HAM's too.

Back
Top Bottom