• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

More Shots Fired in NO

JonJ said:
Fox News now reporting that shots are being fired at military helicopters in NO.

Wonder if the guys in the choppers are allowed to fire back... that would stop that sh*t real quick.

[roll] I watched the news last night, it was the same. People in the inner city were bitching that the goverment wasn't doing anything for them, and the people in the suburbs were just happy to be alive.

You know because I'm sure all the emergency services people aren't overwhelmed right now.

Uncle Sugar is pulling in folks from all over for the rescue work.

I've been corresponding with a guy stationed in San Diego in one of the helicopter rescue units who's going to buy a bike fairing from me and I got this message this morning:

Man, I'm sorry to say this but I just got back a couple days ago and they're re-deploying us to the east coast with two helo's to help with the relief efforts. I can't send you payment right now, I just found out we're leaving tomorrow morning and I have a shit load of preparations to take care of. I'm told we'll be gone for 2-3 weeks but that is not confirmed.

Needless to say, my reply to him was that the fairing would be waiting for him...

derek said:
[roll] I watched the news last night, it was the same. People in the inner city were bitching that the goverment wasn't doing anything for them, and the people in the suburbs were just happy to be alive.

You know because I'm sure all the emergency services people aren't overwhelmed right now.

I have to say. That doesn't suprise me. They have relied on the Gov't for so long they don't know how to make it on thier own. Did you see the news reports where the National Guard moved people from their flooded homes, to an offramp where they are dry. And, instead of moving toward somewhere they could go for supplies. They are just stittin there and dying. They had dead bodies right next to them, and they were bitching that they state of Louisiana was responsible for the deaths of these people.

Who called in the people that just moved you from dying on your roof, to a location where you can get around?

This isn't going to happen in no time. It's a logistical nightmare, and I think that they are doing what they can.

It's a shame.

One part of the problem is that the people who felt they had something to lose generally made plans to get out of the city. On the other hand, people like the drug addicts and the gang members, who don't have much of an instinct for self preservation, stayed. So, a lot of the people remaining in the city after the storm passed and the evacuation began are the very dregs of society. No matter how trashed NOLA looks to everyone else, to them it's a gold mine--a chance to loot all those things that they've never been able to buy.

Just thought that up last night. The vast majority of honest New Orleans is outside of the city at this point and denied reentry. The vast majority of those remaining are criminals.

C-pher said:
This isn't going to happen in no time. It's a logistical nightmare, and I think that they are doing what they can.

It's a shame.

It is a nightmare, they are completely overwhelmed with the size of the warzone, and the amount of people in need of help.

John Jay, you're right about the people who left vs the people who stayed.

Be aware that Fox News reported (2 days ago) that the gov't in NO had to evacuate the jails as the water rose, first to a highway overpass with guards watching them.

Later the hotels announced that the reporters (and guests) should pack up and leave as the gov't was about to RELEASE ALL THE PRISONERS and could no longer vouch for peoples' safety. This was reported by Fox News by one of the reporters who was told to get out.

That is a good part of what is going on down there right now.

They are reporting that the evacuation of the Superdome is being hampered by gunfire, and people are freaking out because there are armed people around there.

Why is anyone surprised? They disarmed all the people sheltering in the Superdome before they were allowed in!!! They searched them for "knives, guns and drugs".

Yeesh.

I just read this article on The Register about a web hosting company in downtown New Orleans that has stayed operational throughout the disaster and who has staff staying in their 10th floor offices to keep things running. The blog is amazing, describing the total breakdown of law in the city. This guy also talks about the efforts he's made in locking down and securing access to their offices (apparently he's a Veteran).

Here's an entry from 2:15am this morning:

It is a zoo out there though, make no mistake. It's the wild kingdom. It's Lord of the Flies. That doesn't mean there's murder on every street corner. But what it does mean is that the rule of law has collapsed, that there is no order, and that property rights cannot and are not being enforced. Anyone who is on the streets is in immediate danger of being robbed and killed. It's that bad.

Some other interesting ones:
You know, this crisis is going to end. One day it is going to be over, and people are going to have to live with themselves and the knowledge of how they behaved. The cowards, the thieves, the murderers. We're getting a guy on cam right now stealing tires from one car and putting them in his car. What a bunch of monkeys. No respect at all for their fellow man. Like I said, one day this is going to be over, and I hope the shame overwhelms these bastards.

And an update to the above:

Edit: It's sad that I have to add this disclaimer, because some people are so hypersensitive to language, but "monkeys" and "animals" has NO racial undertones at all in the above, as was suggested by some dipshit in the comments section. If you're watching the cam you'll note that there are WHITE people, BLACK people, and HISPANIC people looting. It's interesting to note that I see no ASIANS looting, but I'll leave that observation to the sociologists to explain. Back to the point, don't bring your PC bullshit to this blog. This crisis is not about race, but about inhumanity. Got it?

Looting: The police are looting. This has been confirmed by several independent sources. Some of the looting might be "legitimate" in as much as that word has any meaning in this context. They have broken into ATMs and safes: confirmed. We have eyewitnesses to this. They have taken dozens of SUVs from dealerships ostensibly for official use. They have also looted gun stores and pawn shops for all the small arms, supposedly to prevent "criminals" from doing so. But who knows their true intentions. We have an inside source in the NOPD who says that command and control is in chaos. He reports that command lapses more than 24 hours between check-ins, and that most of the force are "like deer in the headlights." NOPD already had a reputation for corruption, but I am telling you now that the people we've been talking to say they are not recognizing the NOPD as a legitimate authority anymore, since cops have been seen looting in Walmarts and forcing people out of stores so they could back up SUVs and loot them. Don't shoot the messenger....

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/01/new_orleans_hosting_survivors/

The article has links to the blog and to a page of photos from the offices (although I think the photo page is a bit overwhelmed).

NBC News has guns

The liberal anti-gun news media now needs guns to protect its employees. Here is a quote.
"NBC sends armed guards to lawless Gulf Coast

NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) - NBC News has sent private security personnel to the increasingly dicey Gulf Coast region to help keep its employees safe while covering the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.
The private security officers, usually former soldiers or police, are licensed to carry firearms and are trained to keep the situation under control so that journalists can do their jobs safely. That's becoming increasingly difficult in New Orleans and in Gulfport, Miss., where there aren't enough police or National Guardsmen to keep the streets safe."

Let's see how they bash gun owners once this situation is over.

Re: NBC News has guns

Paladin said:
The liberal anti-gun news media now needs guns to protect its employees. Here is a quote.
"NBC sends armed guards to lawless Gulf Coast

NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) - NBC News has sent private security personnel to the increasingly dicey Gulf Coast region to help keep its employees safe while covering the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.
The private security officers, usually former soldiers or police, are licensed to carry firearms and are trained to keep the situation under control so that journalists can do their jobs safely. That's becoming increasingly difficult in New Orleans and in Gulfport, Miss., where there aren't enough police or National Guardsmen to keep the streets safe."

Let's see how they bash gun owners once this situation is over.

I'll bet $100 that they're just as bad if not worse once this is over.

Back
Top Bottom