Moron at the gun shop.....

my guess is that this was an amateur, what i mean is, that person does not participate
in any pistol sports, none, and that the pistol drawn seldom comes out of the holster. no one
is an expert at the beginning, but.....

or we have a complete idiot on the loose.

I've seen customers inadvertently point the shop's guns at other customers and immediately get corrected... but damn, I would have ducked too if he pulled it out of his own holster!

I was personally lucky enough to have someone teach me basic range rules before I even purchased my own gun. Some are not so fortunate, and I agree need to be (politely!) corrected.

I don't go into gun shops much (life is boring with an FID) but of the dozen or so times I have been I have seen at least a handful of buyers not obeying straight and off the trigger, and flagging everyone and their mother with the guns in the shop. It's so strange to me, and very uncomfortable. In the military, they hammer it in like its nobodies business. It's to the point where if I pick up anything that even resembles a gun my trigger finger always lays straight against it, even if I go to pick up, say, a wiffle-ball bat. It is just second nature.

Mike

Had to call "cease fire" on the Trap range recently, as a new shooter was not exercising proper muzzle discipline.

He was embarassed, but I told him it's a learning thing, and all was well, as long as he learned not to do it again!
That being said, when I'm running the range, I watch ALL shooters! (Not that I'm distrustful by nature.....[smile])

I don't go into gun shops much (life is boring with an FID) but of the dozen or so times I have been I have seen at least a handful of buyers not obeying straight and off the trigger, and flagging everyone and their mother with the guns in the shop. It's so strange to me, and very uncomfortable. In the military, they hammer it in like its nobodies business. It's to the point where if I pick up anything that even resembles a gun my trigger finger always lays straight against it, even if I go to pick up, say, a wiffle-ball bat. It is just second nature.

Mike

It is always funny to see that - I've got pointed out for it, and it stands right out when you see other people doing it. The finger reflexively indexed along the receiver. I might have to count the number of times I hear at the next range day at work, "Finger outside the trigger guard, indexed along the receiver, thumb behind the hammer, holster and strap in...", although I think the thumb behind the hammer part is gone now that we don't use the M-9 anymore. Or "Finger outside the trigger guard, indexed along the receiver, selector lever in the 'safe' position...".

Even in training, if sweeping is inevitable, either the slide is removed or a non-gun is used. It is, like you said, hammered into our thick skulls that the finger stays outside the trigger guard, indexed along the receiver, and thou shalt not point the open end at anything not needing to be perforated, at any time, for any reason. While most basic firearms safety courses certainly cover this material, and emphasize it as much as possible, they just can't possibly do it with as much reinforcement or enough to develop it into habit. The courses just couldn't be long enough to.

my guess is that this was an amateur, what i mean is, that person does not participate
in any pistol sports, none, and that the pistol drawn seldom comes out of the holster. no one
is an expert at the beginning, but.....

or we have a complete idiot on the loose.

I'm going with the complete idiot. So far I've taken the NRA basic safety course and even I know not to do the crap this guy did!

Back
Top Bottom