Mosin M39 Cracked Stock

I bought a M39 and realized that the stock is cracked near the tang.
I'm not sure if this is acceptable or not. There is no movement in it, it doesn't go all the way across the stock.

Is this safe to shoot?
Just let it sit in the safe?
Contact the seller and try and get a replacement?

Opinions?

2w3ory8.jpg

2v3mulk.jpg

2mh6jrl.jpg

If you bought this from someone who represented it as 'very good to excellent' condition, and I'm betting you did, they should replace it for you. I wouldn't accept that.

I recognize the tag. Yes, contact that supplier. There should be another shipment and I'd be surprised if they did not make a swap to rectify the problem. Cracks were noted as possible, but one at the tang such as above could become a functional issue. I would not wait to request replacement- their last truckload sold out in less than an hour.

Send it back. It's due to a bad fit at the tang. I'm surprised a vendor would sell one on that shape. Usually they're discounted when they have a crack.

The Finns would repair rifles with cracks in the tang area with either wooden plugs or nails. However if it was sold with no mention of the crack you can send it back. The second choice is make them an offer and make the repairs yourself. M39s are getting harder to find. You can also buy shimes from a member on the collector forum focused on Mosins.

Back
Top Bottom