Mosin sear/trigger reset

je25ff

NES Member
So I can't tell if this is a problem with the sear, the trigger or both Basically the trigger won't reset and any forward movement of the bolt with fire a round without the trigger being pulled. Dangerous situation. Anyone have an idea? Maybe I have the bolt assembly screwed up...

34ytclc.jpg

Last edited:
Make sure the sear wasn't modified or have the washer put under the screw( too thick ) or you wont get proper engagement. A small washer under the sear screw shouldn't do this.

Last edited:
Have you done anything to the rifle prior to shooting it. Did this rifle rifle function fine at one point.? More pics of the internals the bottom of the bolt and the sear poking through the reciever..... I suck at pictures so the best you can do.

If the sear was installed right I can think of only two things that would cause this . .
Sear has been bent .
Or some one filed it to make the sear and the the cocking nub sq to each other .(simple mosin trigger job) and done one filed it wrong . So it's just riding over it .

It worked fine after I picked it up and gave it a cleaning 3 range trips with no issues and no monkeying with anything after trip 3.

when you put it back together did you check your firing pin depth with the bolt tool?

Not saying it has to do with it - sounds more like the action, but you should check it.

[video=youtube_share;dBn4_CyWDuc]http://youtu.be/dBn4_CyWDuc[/video]

I took it apart completely, cleaned it all with some rem oil, put it back together and the firing pin still won't reset. I suppose I'll see if I can find a cheap replacement trigger assembly and see if that fixes it.

Did you test it out of the stock ?
If the sear doesn't have a chip or the nub on the bolt nub doesn't have a chip . Only other thing it could be is the sear got bent or some thing is holding it back in the stock.

Did you make sure the sear is between the pivot pin and receiver . I messed up one time and tried to put in under the pin.

I know it’s 8 years late from the OP but maybe it’ll help others who find this in search engine results… at least as it pertained to my rifle, i just needed to tighten the flathead screw on the bottom of the barrel assembly as mine had walked out a little. Added some blue loctite to hopefully prevent. Problem was very obviously solved for me as several dozen cycles subsequently went flawless.

Back
Top Bottom