Mosquito Traps?

Michael J. Spangler

NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Are bug zappers still a thing? Haven't seen one for a while.
I see some now and then. Seems the new traps are all the rage though. My wife’s aunt had one of the propane ones and it worked great. They have pretty mediocre ratings online though.
Some other brands have killer reviews.

Michael J. Spangler

NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I'm going to build and install a couple of bat houses this month. A bat will eat its weight in mosquitos every night. Can't use chemical solutions because of the beehive.
That’s a damn good idea. I do have a decent amount of bats in the area. I’m guessing keeping them in your backyard is even better

MarlboroughMan

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used a "Mosquito Magnet" (Liberty Model) for years at my Cape house and when it's used right it does a heck of a job. Without that thing we have a ton of mosquitos in the yard to the point where you wouldn't want to be outside in the evening without one of these things. It wasn't cheap but it's very good.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
The MM attract the females they're the ones that bite,my late uncle had an MM took a couple of weeks but it did a very good job of eliminating the mosquito populatio,lived in ME at the time in an area I called mosquito central. The bat house is a great idea also,had a few bats near my house and watching fly was wild wings flap but almost no noise.

cmcgraw2

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 MMs and never had a problem as long as they're used properly. Without them I'd be housebound for most of June. I used to use a fogger but that was awful.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you elaborate on how to use them properly and what to avoid doing please?
You want them far away from you. They are mosquito attractants that then suck them into the trap. So if you place it close by, you are in a swarm of mosquiots tracking down the co2 source and they find you. Also remember they are a cycle breaker, the do help at first, but they give results over time by catching the a**h***s before they reproduce and end up reducing the overall population in your area.

cmcgraw2

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you elaborate on how to use them properly and what to avoid doing please?
Yeah, you have to blow CO2 through a valve to clean it after every tank-full, and change the octenol cartridge. It's picky about batteries too, depending on the model. (I acutally sent one back for repair once, but it was the batteries it didn't like.) The new Executive model uses a rechargeable battery which also needs to be recharged occasionally. The new model I have can turn off and on depending on temperature and time of day, which saves gas. Expensive but effective. They have discounts on the web site occasionally but probably not til off-season. Good luck,

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want them far away from you. They are mosquito attractants that then suck them into the trap. So if you place it close by, you are in a swarm of mosquiots tracking down the co2 source and they find you. Also remember they are a cycle breaker, the do help at first, but they give results over time by catching the a**h***s before they reproduce and end up reducing the overall population in your area.
^This. Don't use active CO2 traps unless you have a good size yard where you can stick it as far away as possible. They attract mosquitoes in your yard, but may also bring in ones that weren't already in your yard, so you don't want to be anywhere near it. It's crazy how effective they are though for reducing local populations. The biomass is incredible when cleaning them out.

There are other cheap DIY solutions. The coke bottle one is pretty cool:

I actually didn't know Bob Vila was still alive.

djbradles

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I picked up a Dynatrap Decora full acre series a few weeks ago. I set it up on the corner eave of my garage by the woods away from competing lights and running 24/7 about 40 feet from the back deck. Every year since I built that deck 3 years ago I would be attacked by skeeters as soon as the sun began to set. Flies were a problem too. Well, since that trap was set up I have not had one skeeter hover around nor have I been bitten and I’ve now been outside on that deck almost every evening into the late night. The trap is loaded with bugs now most of which appear to be skeeters.

LuvDog

NES Member
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I have read that its not easy to get bats to move into a bat house. There is one on the edge of the woods in my yard from the previous owner. Ive never seen a bat near it.
Yup.. that's why I said its easier said than done.

You need to have the right amount of hours in sun/dark, certain height, proximity to water, etc etc.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I'm going to build and install a couple of bat houses this month. A bat will eat its weight in mosquitos every night. Can't use chemical solutions because of the beehive.

That math don't play.

Think about it this way. You introduce wolves into a remote area that has no wolves but plenty of. . . .caribou, let's say.

In time, the wolves decimate the caribou. Destroy them almost to extinction.

Then what do the wolves do??? They move on to find more.

What happens to the caribou population??? It rebuilds. No change. And you caribou has a lifespan of, say, 10 years. Your skeeters can do this in weeks.

But that isn't really what Mommy Nature usually does. In fact, she's pretty good at this. (Except for humans. See: Agent Smith)

Instead, the # of wolves would be under control to ensure there are enough caribou to support the den.

So bringing in more bats - even if you really could - either means that they'll just move on when food stores get "low" or not ever grow into a sufficient mosquito-destroying population.

Besides - bats eat other insects, too. They are more likely to home in on a big-ass moth or something than a tiny mosquito. Just like the wolves would prefer caribou to field mice.

Everyone wants this thing to work. It just doesn't. It might cut your mosquito population down, but not to the point where you can enjoy an evening outside.

Me? I spray for the things in the trees around the house. Then I have those Off lantern things. HIGHLY effective. And the mosquito coils. Also very very effective. And possibly a breeze.

I know friends who had a huge fan they set up on the patio. Just kept the skeeters off by blowing them away. Above 5-8mph, your average skeeter is sorta screwed.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lake house, well a pond house where the house is up about 40 steps from the pond. Would placing one of those CO2 traps down by the pond work? We do have mosquitos that come up to the patio.

cmcgraw2

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lake house, well a pond house where the house is up about 40 steps from the pond. Would placing one of those CO2 traps down by the pond work? We do have mosquitos that come up to the patio.
Mosquitoes only hunt upwind from where they live (they don't travel far from their origin either). That way when they're laden with blood they're able to float back home more easily. So ideally you want the trap upwind of you.
Used to be able to buy dragonflies for mosquito control too, I don't know if that's still the case.

Edit: you can see some trap placement advice at mosquitomagnet.com/videos

Last edited:

FiremanBob

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
With the amount of wetlands around my neighborhood, there will be plenty of food for bats for a long time. Sort of like the first homesteaders setting up on the Great Plains.

cmcgraw2

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a Dynatrap Decora full acre series a few weeks ago. I set it up on the corner eave of my garage by the woods away from competing lights and running 24/7 about 40 feet from the back deck. Every year since I built that deck 3 years ago I would be attacked by skeeters as soon as the sun began to set. Flies were a problem too. Well, since that trap was set up I have not had one skeeter hover around nor have I been bitten and I’ve now been outside on that deck almost every evening into the late night. The trap is loaded with bugs now most of which appear to be skeeters.
That's pretty cool - "Ti02 titanium dioxide-coated surface" to produce CO2, if it works that's cheaper than filling a 20 lb. tank every few weeks. That will collect every type of moth too though apparently. I get Luna moths that would probably get assassinated.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i have a Mosquito Magnet that i was planning on bringing to the Transfer Station soon. it worked great, but Mrs. L decided to have the yard sprayed every 4 weeks instead. You can still get bait for it on-line, doesn't come with a propane tank. if you want it, let me know. you pick up in Pepperell ...

djbradles

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's pretty cool - "Ti02 titanium dioxide-coated surface" to produce CO2, if it works that's cheaper than filling a 20 lb. tank every few weeks. That will collect every type of moth too though apparently. I get Luna moths that would probably get assassinated.
Yeah, collateral damage unfortunately for the insect wars.

Top Bottom