• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

mossberg 590a1 issue

btnh6668

NES Member
I have an issue with my 590a1 im hoping the NES brain trust can help me with. Let me start by saying I have very little experience with shotguns. When shooting the shotgun the "elevator" becomes loose inside receiver. In other words the end of the elevator there are two notches that set in place on either side of the receiver. When shooting they get loose and come out of place causing me to not be able to eject the round. I had to disassemble the whole gun to be able to extract the round. The elevator seems like it should have more tension. The shotgun is about 7 years old but only has about 40 rounds through it. Bought it brand new. Im wondering if there is a more improved part i can use in its place or if there is another issue causing the elevator to move while shooting. mossberg elevator.jpg

i dont know how to explain it , but you need to round off, bevel and polish the forward piece on the flip side. The little tit that sticks out on the inside and the curved piece on the leading edge.

Interesting, you’re saying the lifter is coming loose whilst shooting? I’ve seen people dropping 500/590’s directly on their side and inducing an issue.

View: https://youtu.be/LsZaLmijSpg

Sounds like you might need a replacement lifter?
I have a 590 that I’ve put a couple hundred rounds through in about a year. No issues whatsoever. Contact Mossberg and see what they say. Photos help as well.

Interesting, you’re saying the lifter is coming loose whilst shooting? I’ve seen people dropping 500/590’s directly on their side and inducing an issue.

I have a 590 that I’ve put a couple hundred rounds through in about a year. No issues whatsoever. Contact Mossberg and see what they say. Photos help as well.

I didn't bother taking photos before taking it apart. Since i couldn't open the action you could not see anything other than the notch coming out of the holes on the receiver. If i get a chance ill give mossberg a call and see if they have a fix for it. My limited interactions with their customer service was negative in the past. Hopefully i have better luck this time.

I didn't bother taking photos before taking it apart. Since i couldn't open the action you could not see anything other than the notch coming out of the holes on the receiver. If i get a chance ill give mossberg a call and see if they have a fix for it. My limited interactions with their customer service was negative in the past. Hopefully i have better luck this time.

It’s that same issue though? Not enough Detent/spring tension with the lifter arms to keep those pins in the holes in the receiver?
If so, that’s my fear, though it’s been a non issue. Seems like an odd design flaw for such a prominent shotgun.

It’s that same issue though? Not enough Detent/spring tension with the lifter arms to keep those pins in the holes in the receiver?
If so, that’s my fear, though it’s been a non issue. Seems like an odd design flaw for such a prominent shotgun.
correct, same issue.

My buddy had a new 500 a couple years ago that had the same issue. Failed when I shot it. I laughed at him and called his shotty a piece of junk🤣 then whipped out the wingmaster!🤣

But same deal. Lifter was floppy. Shell got stuck inside. Had to take it apart.

I'll see if he ever fixed it.

... ...

Nope, he never fixed his😂

Last edited:
just an update: Mossberg asked me to ship the elevator to them for a replacement. If that doesn't work they want me to ship the whole shotgun. I asked if they had a new improved part for it and was told no. Of course they were quick to let me know that i only have 3 years left on my warranty.

This IS an issue with these guns, I've been able to recreate it just like in the video. It is a definite design flaw and never should have been released for production or sale as is.
Those pivots for the lifting arm should have been designed with some type of low profile screw from the outside of the receiver wall.....which is exactly how I'm going to do mine, or should have been made out of a stronger spring steel that would hold enough tension so those pivot points couldn't dislodge from a simple drop or bump.

There are a few problems, OP I think your problem stems from the elevator catching that edge I was trying to explain. I no longer have my 590 so I cant show what I did. I bought the 590 in a small estate of guns. Im just not a 500/590 fan so Owner ship was short lived for me.
Its sort of a shit design and the cheap stamped elevator is probably part of the problem.

This IS an issue with these guns, I've been able to recreate it just like in the video. It is a definite design flaw and never should have been released for production or sale as is.
Those pivots for the lifting arm should have been designed with some type of low profile screw from the outside of the receiver wall.....which is exactly how I'm going to do mine, or should have been made out of a stronger spring steel that would hold enough tension so those pivot points couldn't dislodge from a simple drop or bump.

My first thought was something akin to anti-walk pins like those found in many AR trigger packs. I understand you can’t have a pin run all the way through the 500/590 receiver, but I imagine it wouldn’t take that much effort (assuming one has the proper tools) to drill and tap them to get something to provide some extra security in there.

My first thought was something akin to anti-walk pins like those found in many AR trigger packs. I understand you can’t have a pin run all the way through the 500/590 receiver, but I imagine it wouldn’t take that much effort (assuming one has the proper tools) to drill and tap them to get something to provide some extra security in there.

Yes, a hardened, black oxide finished, 6x32 low profile, allen, round head screw with a head wider than the hole in the receiver. Drill and tap the pivots and use a washer if needed to bring them just above the outside surface of the receiver so the screw is not touching the receiver surface.
How a gun designer didn't see this boggles my mind.

Back
Top Bottom