Mossberg mvp patrol rifle.

Just want some input on this rifle. I've been long at this rifle for some time now and it's a toss up between this and the Remington 700 tactical. I've been on youtube and watched videos and stuff on it. I would like to get a 308 version of this rifle. If anyone has any hands on time with this weapon could you please tell me if you liked it and what the max distance was fired. I've heard several different things based on it barrel length. Any help is much appreciated.

i briefly had a mossberg MVP in 5.56. it's built like a mossberg, which means every part rattles and the finish appears to have been completed by a drunk gypsy with can of spray paint.

personally if I were getting back into a pricy chambering like .308, I would drop some coin and go with a CZ or Tikka. The Remington 700 just seems boring and slightly overpriced to me.

YMMV.

i briefly had a mossberg MVP in 5.56. it's built like a mossberg, which means every part rattles and the finish appears to have been completed by a drunk gypsy with can of spray paint.

personally if I were getting back into a pricy chambering like .308, I would drop some coin and go with a CZ or Tikka. The Remington 700 just seems boring and slightly overpriced to me.

YMMV.

There's also Savage. If I was going to build or buy a tactical bolt action rifle, it'd be a Savage. Savages have almost as big of an aftermarket available as the Remington 700. The only advantage the Mossberg has is that it takes M1A/M14 and AR/M16 mags, whereas Savages take Savage mags - if you get a 90s Savage, it'll probably have a blind mag.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11Scout

05f4509b856295e2dee088921cd526c3_e25e21bc4d95d034e39235e6340ed879.png

As someone looking into the bolt guns for my next venture.
After shooting the mvp for the money I would rather pick something off the used rack at the LGS shop with a Japan made erra Bushnell on it.

That said I know a few people with savages who really like them. I only have the savage rascal and for the money it's got a nice trigger and as accurate as most 22s out there in the range of 2-400

I for the most part want a accurate rifle. I do not consider mossberg to be "accurate" . I think they will do what intended to do. Compact and somewhat light for hauling around and minute of toroso accuracy....or hit on target type shooting.
I would say with a good shooter and a nice scope 500 yards should be no problem for a mpv. The one I was shooting had a 500$ leupold standard duplex reticle and capable of 3" groups with remington core lock. With federal GMM getting close to 2"

The barrel length will shed velocity.
This "patrol" rifle is a quick handling say sub 300 yd gun.
Also what scope you use can really change how this gun feels. I forget what my friend had was either 2.5x8 or fixed 6x the other one I tried in 223 had a big obnoxious "tactical " 8x32x50 scope on it. Really ruined the feel of the rifle when moving it about.

You really don't find a lot of accuracy test reviews for the 308. I think this is because many of the shooters who buy the mpv or any sub 800 "scout" style rifle will just put the cheapest ammo through it anyway.

In the end the mpv reminded me why I do not buy anything mossberg

Last edited:
I bought the mossberg mvp preditor in 308.
+The feel of the gun
+takes ar10 mags (dpms style I believe)
- I was told "out of the box dead accurate" knowing I had to adjust it a little probably I took it to the 50 yard lane. It was so far off I was afraid I possibly shot the first round over the berm at 50 yards.
*i don't think the patrol comes wth a scope so hopefully you won't have this issue. After some much needed adjusting I started hitting close to center, still needs some more work, but had fun with it in the end.

I have a MVP Talo edition. Pretty much a patrol with a slightly different stock and a bipod. I had some early on issues with the rifle, but after being contacted by Mossbergs Director of Marketing, and sending the rifle back it was all taken care of. Very quickly too! Only took about a week to get it back.

For what I do the rifle has been great, I was able to do half dollar sized grouping with no effort at 200 yards with Federal XM80 and a cheap BSA scope. I havent really tried any of my match grade ammo yet but you can fit 180gr SP bullets into the magazines. It does feed M1A and M14 magazines, I have a old USGI 20 rd mag and while it does feed, it isnt smooth, but that could be my magazine. My gun LOVES Pmags, smooth as butter, can actuate the bolt with one finger if needed with those. The MVP does come with the LBA trigger, which is adjustable, mine out of the box was set at 3lbs and all I can say is wow! Very little effort, just about zero take up and a very clean brake.

The one thing to remember it is only a 18.5" barrel so that will limit distance compared to some of the others with 20-28" barrels. If you dona search you might find issues with the bolts on the 5.56 models, but the 7.62 model does NOT use the same design.

Attachments

• 20150623_201454.jpg
    20150623_201454.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 79
Savage, Tikka, CZ.

I have 3 Savages and a CZ. All are excellent, well made rifles. The CZ is slightly better made with a beautiful walnut stock, but took a bit more work to get the best groups out of. Torque specs on both the action screws and the barrel were incorrect from the factory. After correcting both the groups sizes tightened up nicely. It's also more finicky on ammo.

My savage centerfires (.223 and 6.5 CM) are both sub 1/3 MOA guns for 5 shot groups with match grade hand-loads. The 6.5 is new, i expect sub 1/4 MOA when i'm done tweaking it.

I think the modern 700s are hit or miss. A good friend of mine spent close to 25 years behind a 700, most of those as a swat sniper using a 20" LTR. He was a die hard Remington guy, and he will not touch the current production 700s. I've seen some that are 1/3 MOA guns, and some that can't shoot MOA. Personally i won't take the risk.

As for Mossberg...no thanks. Maybe some people have MVPs that shoot, or have been able to figure out how to make them shoot, but on the whole they're not known for accuracy or build quality, and for me that's priority # 1. I don't know if they're making or sourcing their barrels, but i just don't trust that they're up to the level of the three mentioned above.

Anything that isn't sub-MOA (with the exception of a fighting carbine with no magnification and bulk ammo) is just boring. If the plan is a red dot or irons and cheap ammo, the MVP is probably a decent choice.

Last edited:
I looked into the Mossberg MVP at one point. It has a lot of desireable features, but one thing that irked me was that the stock was made of compressed wood/resin mix. I'd rather have straight polymer stock than that. Or plain old wood.

awesome guys. thanks for the advice. im gonna be looking into savage now lol. i just would figure i'd come here cause everyone has helped me with all of my decisions thus far gun related. on to savage which one should i be looking into?

awesome guys. thanks for the advice. im gonna be looking into savage now lol. i just would figure i'd come here cause everyone has helped me with all of my decisions thus far gun related. on to savage which one should i be looking into?

All depends on you. If you go to KTP or a local gun store and buy one used, you can build it any way you like. Just make sure you get the right size action. A two digit model number is short action, i.e. .308 or .223. A three digit model number is long action, like a .30-06 or a .338 Lapua. Just make sure you get the right sized bolt face if you want to change calibers. Savage also sells receivers only.

The one I posted back on page 1 seems to be the closest new model to the MVP, it's a .308, has peep sights and a scout scope mount and a 18.5" barrel. Savage also used to make a nice tactical rifle in a digital camo stock, the Savage 10 Precision Carbine. I held one at Kittery and it was sweet, if I had the $700, I would've bought it on the spot. It was made up until recently and was kind of a similar concept to the MVP, but was supposed to be extremely accurate.

FYI pull out the mounting hardware and loctite it on day 1 and don't rely on the threads being bore concentric... Other than that its a cool gun.

I have the 5.56 / .223 version model 27731 with the scope. I put 80 rounds through it so far.
It's really a good gun. It's accurate, no issues, and it's fun to shoot.

If I wasn't moving to Charleston SC, I would keep it but since I'm moving I will be selling it before the fall.

I have a Savage 10P-SR that I happened upon in a LGS a couple years ago.
It has a 16" threaded, bullish BBL that I haven't bothered to put a muzzle device on.
Came with the accu trigger and a nice over-sized knurled ALU bolt handle.

It's my first and only bolt gun, and I don't see the need for any others (which doesn't seem to be the case with pistols or semi-auto rifles...)

I have a cheap Redfield 3-9x (battlezone, I think?) scope on it , and it is dead balls on at 100yds.
I know that's not saying much, but I've only shot it at Braintree and that's the max option there.
Sweet gun for the $500 I paid brand new.

This thread just got me to google it and I just discovered 10 rd mags are allegedly avail direct from Savage. Gonna call tomorrow and see if that's true!

The gun came with a single 4-rd mag, which almost made me go for a Ruger Gunsite scout, but that was more like $800.

Good luck with whatever you go with!

AA

I have the Ruger gunsite in .308. I love it. Did you consider one?
+ 1 on the Ruger GSR. I own one in .308 and love it. It's built like a tank, and for philosophy of use, I think Ruger got it right. Yeah, the magazines are pricey, but I have handled some of the other manufacturers variants and have yet to find one better built. YMMVH..

BTW- I do not agree with the Nutnfancy review.. I get the impression he is an anti-boltgun kind of shooter.

Just make sure you get the right size action. A two digit model number is short action, i.e. .308 or .223. A three digit model number is long action, like a .30-06 or a .338 Lapua.

Almost but not quite. My Savage deer gun in .308 is marked model 111 which is their Trophy Hunter package. It's basically their model 11 but because it was sold with a scope they stamped it model 111.

Another vote for the Ruger Gunsite Scout. A bit more pricy than the Mossberg, perhaps. 7.2 lbs empty, it's a handy size.

Polymer mags from Ruger are available in 3, 5, and 10 rds. The standard metal 10-rounder seems kludgy (but works fine).

Std sling swivel studs.

Adjustable length of pull so you can fit it to you.

Threaded muzzle comes w/ a2 flash hider or you could swap it.

Peep sites work fine, or you can add a scout scope or dot sight on the forward rail, or standard scope over the action.

I've only shot it to 200 yds, and it's plenty accurate (I hit an apple @ 200yds first try).

Very versatile gun. If you're only gonna buy one bolt gun this one does many things very well, if none of them perfectly (it's not a match gun).

Back
Top Bottom