• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mossberg MVP

Love my MVP Varmint!

Love the fact it accepts AR mags. Good combo with your counterpart AR.

Ideally I use a 20 round mag over a 30 round mag when shooting.

I love the trigger and have not adjust it yet.

Nice 1 inch groupings with some patience about 200 yards out.

Overall I love this rifle.

Bought one on sale at Four Seasons today.
It's the Mossberg MVP Patrol with the scope and muzzle break.
Also got a couple of PMag 10s and a case of 5.56 ammo.
Looks like it's gonna be fun. Will try it out when the weather breaks.

I am seriously considering one of these, so I'm glad to see a discussion about it. Seems like a great value for a scout type rifle. Not quite as nice looking as the Ruger, but the price definitely makes it worth considering.

My experience with my Mossberg 630 12 ga was so bad I will never buy another one of their products.

mossberg_925.jpg

Bought one on sale at Four Seasons today.
It's the Mossberg MVP Patrol with the scope and muzzle break.
Also got a couple of PMag 10s and a case of 5.56 ammo.
Looks like it's gonna be fun. Will try it out when the weather breaks.

how is the scope that comes with it, i was thinking about picking one up, but won't be able to purchase proper glass for a bit.

I have been interested in one of these since they came out. Great precision rifle that is compatible with my AR. I like it

Neat rifle, on their website they want $700+ they have one on GA for $595. Whats the going rate in MA for one?

$569.95 plus tax. They took a little more off for cash. See post #10 in this thread for the ad.
The one with the flash suppressor has a threaded barrel that also comes with a cap to protect the threads when you want to remove it.

$569.95 plus tax. They took a little more off for cash. See post #10 in this thread for the ad.
The one with the flash suppressor has a threaded barrel that also comes with a cap to protect the threads when you want to remove it.

That's the scout.
The MVP is more money - There was one in Holbrook that was over $700 IIRC - that's why I asked.

Friend has one in 223.

Bolt is a little hokey, in the sense that it feels kind of cheap. It had trouble loading/chambering my 77gr SMK handloads that worked fine in my AR (tried several mags), but fed my 69gr Nosler CComps fine. The factory scope rail/mount is bolted on and came loose after about 75rds requiring him to remove the scope and rezero.

Aside from those things, it's pretty accurate and feels good to shoot. Trigger is nice. I wish it was a 223 Wylde chamber in 1-8 or 1-7 though.

I don't think I'd buy one personally, but they're not bad. I see why people go for them.

Last edited:
That's the scout.
The MVP is more money - There was one in Holbrook that was over $700 IIRC - that's why I asked.

No, that's the Mossberg MVP "Patrol".
The Mossberg MVP comes in different configurations, Patrol, Flex, Thunder Ranch, Predator, and Varmint, but not a "Scout".
The OP asked about the "Mossberg MVP", no specific configuration was mentioned.

I am very pleased w my MVP 5.56 patrol model. Its not a very refined rifle, but the barrel is excellent and it runs great on ar15 mags. If youre looking for a fancy rifle, look elsewhere. If youre looking for a bolt gun that runs on ar15 mags and is very accurate, then go for it.

Can someone explain this new style of rifles to me? The Ruger Scout, Mossberg MVP, etc. (I know they aren't exactly the same, but they're close - high cap magazine fed bolt guns).

Basically, for the price you pay, you could buy an AR platform instead of the MVP and you're pretty close to an AR10 price for the Scout, and you don't get the accuracy of a long range bolt gun.

I'm not saying anything bad about buying these guns - people should do what they want with their money. I'm just asking someone to explain this trend to me.

Some of my guns cost as much as if not more than what you would consider practical guns or guns that you would prefer to own. I have enough sensible, practical and purpose-built guns and wanted something different. I also like shooting single action revolvers and lever guns. I'm not a sniper, a hunter, a competitive target shooter or LEO. I bought my MVP Patrol purely for variety and fun.

Can someone explain this new style of rifles to me? The Ruger Scout, Mossberg MVP, etc. (I know they aren't exactly the same, but they're close - high cap magazine fed bolt guns).

Basically, for the price you pay, you could buy an AR platform instead of the MVP and you're pretty close to an AR10 price for the Scout, and you don't get the accuracy of a long range bolt gun.

I'm not saying anything bad about buying these guns - people should do what they want with their money. I'm just asking someone to explain this trend to me.

Why do you mean when you say a "long range bolt gun"? Something like an $1100 Rem 700 5R? Or something like a $2000+ custom 700 build? The Scout and MVP cost about 20-30% less than an AR-10 platform, (aside for maybe the PSA PA-10, which is still in it's infancy) and are on par with the accuracy of an AR10, but neither of those will touch the accuracy of something like the 5R.

If you handload, you can fireform the brass to a bolt gun's chamber and neck size only. You can't really do that with a gas gun. Granted, you're still limited on COAL due to the magazine, but fireforming and neck sizing should give you more consistent ammo than you can get in a semi.

From a suppressed standpoint, not having a gas system to worry about is nice too. No blowback, no tuning of the gas port size, buffer weight, etc...

I think there is a fudd aspect to them as well. Some people just don't like black rifles (weirdos... [smile])

It is my understanding that the "scout" rifle concept was derived as an all-around survival type rifle that is good for multiple jobs, but not perfect in any particular category. The original concept was to have a rifle that used a battle rifle cartridge (.308), magazine fed, had a carbine length for maneuverability/portability, and bolt action for ultimate reliability. For a survival type gun, you really don't need a semi auto for most situations anyway. These guns do have decent mid range capability, but they obviously weren't designed to be a "sniper" rifle, even though they are probably more accurate than most ARs.

Fair enough with all the replies. Thanks.

I'm just as guilty, BTW. I'd love a Ruger Scout, even though I don't fully understand why I want it.

I picked up a ruger gunsite scout last week from a member on this forum and couldn't be more pleased with it. My cousin and I have taken it to the range twice since then, the most recent time banging steel at 100yards with irons. Can't wait to put some glad on it and try it at 300 yards.

I have a Remington 700 VTR in .308 with 22" barrel which I love and deer hunt in VT with, but I wish it took magazines. A standard cap mag fed 5.56/.223 bolt gun with a 3-10x scope would be a hoot on the prairie in Montana.

Back
Top Bottom