• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mossberg MVP

Fair enough with all the replies. Thanks.

I'm just as guilty, BTW. I'd love a Ruger Scout, even though I don't fully understand why I want it.

I know that feeling. I'm currently playing with the J-Frame I picked up today, that I don't know why I bought, hahaha

I have a Savage model 10 in 308. The barrel is cut down to 16". Apparently one can weld the feed lips of the Savage mag to the body of a G3 mag.... oh my list of projects!

Can someone explain this new style of rifles to me? The Ruger Scout, Mossberg MVP, etc. (I know they aren't exactly the same, but they're close - high cap magazine fed bolt guns).

Basically, for the price you pay, you could buy an AR platform instead of the MVP and you're pretty close to an AR10 price for the Scout, and you don't get the accuracy of a long range bolt gun.

I'm not saying anything bad about buying these guns - people should do what they want with their money. I'm just asking someone to explain this trend to me.

You can't buy an upper for what i'm getting my brand new mvp for.... never mind an entire AR....

As for your question.... going up to the line at monadnock group shoots with a 4rd magazine was pissing me off.... so i'm selling the savage and getting the varmint.... now i'll be the a-hole on the line with the bolt action/beta mag :)

ETA:

update 11/3

actually i wanted the predator, not the varmint... the V has a bench rest style stock.... i didn't want that....
the FIRST thing i did after getting it home was to search for an extended mag release....

that lead me to the mossberg mvp forum....

a couple of guys there are doing some CAD work on aftermarket parts....
an extended mag release, aluminum trigger guard, improved extractor (i guess steel cases have been ripping the extractors up)
and they're starting work an improved magwell....

i know, i know.... s*** that the rifle should've come with in the first place.....
but let me tell you, i got the extended mag release in today, slapped it into the rifle and OMFG.....

i'm writing Mossberg and telling them that they should've shipped the rifle with that MFer....

if you have (or want) an MVP, i suggest you check these guys out:
CrossHair Precision LLC

Last edited:
Fair enough with all the replies. Thanks.

I'm just as guilty, BTW. I'd love a Ruger Scout, even though I don't fully understand why I want it.

LOL Keeping your distance from why you don't need something makes the buying experience much more pleasurable (until the buyers remorse sets in).

Back
Top Bottom