• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mossberg MVP

SS1

Looking at the Patrol in 308 for a home/deer rifle. Will be putting a 3-9x40 scope on it for the 100/300 yrds
Anyone have one?

Thank's for any insight.

I posted a similar thread recently asking for opinions on an MVP vs. a Savage. The few people I know that have an MVP don't mind it. Like most things on the internet, there are factions on both sides (Worst bolt gun ever vs. best bolt gun ever). I have heard the bolt is a little rough cycling it but just don't be gentle with it. Can't beat the price.

I had one. Nice rifle. Light, accurate at 100. Takes any 308 mag variant. It's a work rifle. Nothing special.......quality is ehhhh! For hunting. Perfect.

had an MVP in 5.56. looked like it was built in an 8th graders shop class. Savage model 10 or Ruger american in 308 are far superior bolt guns, especially the Savage.

had an MVP in 5.56. looked like it was built in an 8th graders shop class. Savage model 10 or Ruger american in 308 are far superior bolt guns, especially the Savage.

Interesting; not to discount your experience, but mine's totally different. I also have one in 5.56, won it at an NRA dinner. Had a LOT of trouble cycling the bolt at first - so much in fact that I thought that it was defective and got help from friends. It required oil and some working in to make it cycle correctly. It's as though they didn't quite finish lapping it in. Once that was resolved, I've been very pleased with it. Shoots accurately out to 400 yards, which is the longest range I've had it on. It's light, "nimble", and fun to shoot.

One thing that really attracted me to it is that it takes the AR-15 mags. Which of course has no bearing on the OP's .308 question.

I have a MVP Talo in .308 and love it. Had a issue with it at first but Mossberg took care of it right away. Had my rifle back in under a week.

Practicality over what if.......
Ask a hunter what his go to rifle would be
And I'm thinking a Barnes VOR-TX 168grn ttsxbt

Back
Top Bottom