• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mossberg shockwave

The ATF is clear that it is a firearm under the GCA and not a firearm under NFA. They do say they get to make a new determination should you carry it concealed BUT it does not say it is an AOW if carried concealed. Do you have another reference after this guidance that does declare it an AOW under the NFA in the case of concealed carry? I could not find one.
The way it escapes being an AOW is by not being able to be concealed, decidedly by the arbitrary 26"oal , If you make it less than 26" = AOW, over 26" and concealed no longer meets the definition of firearm. Not sure what guidance or more you are looking for seems pretty strait forward

you can read it hear.

If you compare a shockwave to a stocked shotgun, it is indeed practically useless.
If you compare a shockwave to a pistol, it makes a little more sense.
If you can find a stripped shockwave receiver, you may be able to get an FFL in Mass to transfer it for you.
Mossberg will confirm its a factory shockwave receiver if you contact them with the serial number.

If you compare a shockwave to a stocked shotgun, it is indeed practically useless.
If you compare a shockwave to a pistol, it makes a little more sense.
If you can find a stripped shockwave receiver, you may be able to get an FFL in Mass to transfer it for you.
Mossberg will confirm its a factory shockwave if you contact them with the serial number.
Not being a dick. Just wondering. How many stripped Shockwave lowers are out there? Is it a thing?

Not being a dick. Just wondering. How many stripped Shockwave lowers are out there? Is it a thing?
before the gun buying craziness of the past year and a half they were all over gunbroker, shock waves where only a few hundred new, the parts..... stock, trigger group, barrel, bolt etc... brought more money sold individually, bought a Shockwave and a Tac 14 receiver for under a hundred each shipped and transferred

Thanks. Dodnt know they were out there. Now ill check the classifieds. Im a buyer!
Factory SBS receivers are pretty common too, complete less barrel on gunbroker, dealers selling department trade in's without the atf paperwork hassle. technically there is no reason why this couldn't be registered again as an SBS in MA,

Yes, at least before the panic they were on gun broker.
Not a lower, just a receiver, but i think we are talking about the same thing.
Before the Panic, shockwaves in Mass were 4 figures if you could find one. Im sure the prices havent come down.
I Built one for less than retail back then.

Last edited:
The way it escapes being an AOW is by not being able to be concealed, decidedly by the arbitrary 26"oal , If you make it less than 26" = AOW, over 26" and concealed no longer meets the definition of firearm. Not sure what guidance or more you are looking for seems pretty strait forward

you can read it hear.

That is just their marketing literature and not guidance from the ATF. They are reasonably being cautious in their literature since it is a bad business practice to turn your customer into potential felons.

I linked the actual ATF letter which just says it may get a different classification if carried concealed. So as shipped which is over 26” OAL it is a firearm and not NFA. If carried concealed it is unknown as the ATF did not provide a determination. I was curious if their was subsequent ATF guidance that supported the firm statement about it being an AOW if carried concealed.

Yes misspoke. Reciever
Yes, at least before the panic they were on gun broker.
Not a lower, just a receiver, but i think we are talking about the same thing.
Before the Panic, shockwaves in Mass were 4 figures if you could find one. Im sure the prices havent come down.
I Built one for less than retail back then

I linked the actual ATF letter which just says it may get a different classification if carried concealed. So as shipped which is over 26” OAL it is a firearm and not NFA. If carried concealed it is unknown as the ATF did not provide a determination. I was curious if their was subsequent ATF guidance that supported the firm statement about it being an AOW if carried concealed.
Given the ATF's guidance that a SBR can become a regular rifle temporarily by putting on a long barrel, and in that configuration can be transported across state lines, does that mean that if I register a Shockwave as an AOW but don't make any other changes to it, it is only an AOW when it is being concealed? Transportable across state lines without paperwork (as long as you open carry)?

Not volunteering to be a test case here, just exploring the options. I really only have it to ride shotgun in my UTV when the bears are hungry.

Given the ATF's guidance that a SBR can become a regular rifle temporarily by putting on a long barrel, and in that configuration can be transported across state lines, does that mean that if I register a Shockwave as an AOW but don't make any other changes to it, it is only an AOW when it is being concealed? Transportable across state lines without paperwork (as long as you open carry)?

Not volunteering to be a test case here, just exploring the options. I really only have it to ride shotgun in my UTV when the bears are hungry.
I think we just don't know the treatment if concealed. The ATF guidance said "Please note that If the subject firearm is concealed on a person, the classification with regard to the NFA may change." So all we have is conjecture on whether it will change and if it changes, what it changes to. Yes, it might be AOW, BUT I don't see how that is supported in the regulations; not that this has stopped the ATF before. Mossberg says AOW it concealed which is clearly a hedge your bets approach to keep them and their customers out of trouble. We just don't know.

Why did we link this old thread? The ATF is approving all SBS applications w/o issue these days. I know many people that have submitted and received stamps. They are using virgin receivers in some cases and using non-virgin receivers that THEY got as just receivers (have to be careful of sawed off shotgun law in MA, so don't start with a shotgun. But if someone else breaks the gun into pieces and sells you the receiver...) Also seems off topic...

Why did we link this old thread? The ATF is approving all SBS applications w/o issue these days. I know many people that have submitted and received stamps. They are using virgin receivers in some cases and using non-virgin receivers that THEY got as just receivers (have to be careful of sawed off shotgun law in MA, so don't start with a shotgun. But if someone else breaks the gun into pieces and sells you the receiver...) Also seems off topic...
Quoting from the other thread, as I did not see this particular detail in this thread
"A MA dealer cannot transfer a SBS because MA considers it a "firearm" (handgun), and since it's not on the Approved Forearms Roster, it's not dealer-transferrable.
The FRB set out letters to all dealers earlier this year "clarifying" this point because they had a lot of questions about transferring Mossberg Shockwaves and Remington TAC 14s."

By MA law, it has been for a long time that an SBS in MA has to have been an SBS from the factory. Seemed like there was consensus on here that there was no way around this in MA law.

I linked to the other thread as it covered a lot of what this thread has discussed, but had comments from a few members that usually have the most definitive detail on the laws in MA.

If it is possible to get one again, I might start down that road myself.

Quoting from the other thread, as I did not see this particular detail in this thread
"A MA dealer cannot transfer a SBS because MA considers it a "firearm" (handgun), and since it's not on the Approved Forearms Roster, it's not dealer-transferrable.
The FRB set out letters to all dealers earlier this year "clarifying" this point because they had a lot of questions about transferring Mossberg Shockwaves and Remington TAC 14s."

By MA law, it has been for a long time that an SBS in MA has to have been an SBS from the factory. Seemed like there was consensus on here that there was no way around this in MA law.

I linked to the other thread as it covered a lot of what this thread has discussed, but had comments from a few members that usually have the most definitive detail on the laws in MA.

If it is possible to get one again, I might start down that road myself.
The quoted piece is correct. A MA dealer cannot transfer a SBR or SBS. But we can transfer a receiver or frame and you can build it yourself. The path to an SBS starts with a receiver...

The quoted piece is correct. A MA dealer cannot transfer a SBR or SBS. But we can transfer a receiver or frame and you can build it yourself. The path to an SBS starts with a receiver...
Some dealers frame transfer glocks of course.

But under normal conditions (inventory available)
What is stopping a dealer from just keeping a complete “free state” inventory, dividing it up and frame transfer everything?

Some dealers frame transfer glocks of course.

But under normal conditions (inventory available)
What is stopping a dealer from just keeping a complete “free state” inventory, dividing it up and frame transfer everything?
Why do you think this is not already happening?

It requires two dealers to be done safely so think for a moment where you can go in MA where you have two or more dealers in the same location...

To be clear, if you have a dual residence via owning property in MA and another free state and you purchased a shockwave from a free state dealer, could you bring it to MA legally or must it remain in said free state?

To be clear, if you have a dual residence via owning property in MA and another free state and you purchased a shockwave from a free state dealer, could you bring it to MA legally or must it remain in said free state?
It’s legal to possess and own if you can acquire it. The prohibition is on dealers selling them.

hey folks, found this thread with the search feature and just want to be 100% on this. I have a 590 with a pistol grip, just ordered a shockwave raptor handle as the pistol grip rather blows on it. I saw a reference on the first page to buying a 14" raptor barrel kit, just want to make sure that is legal to do in Massachusetts, and the only banned/illegal part is actually buying the firearm as is, so i will be fine to "build it"?

Watch your overall length, you are walking a fine line between the legal definition of a shotgun and a "firearm"

and if you think the pistol grip blows, ask the people who own shockwaves what they think about them

Are you at least 26" overall?

26" overall and longer, minimum 18" barrel and it is a shotgun.... but I would not want to be the test case in MA if things went south

and putting a barrel less than 18" on an existing shotgun is a huge no no

hey folks, found this thread with the search feature and just want to be 100% on this. I have a 590 with a pistol grip, just ordered a shockwave raptor handle as the pistol grip rather blows on it. I saw a reference on the first page to buying a 14" raptor barrel kit, just want to make sure that is legal to do in Massachusetts, and the only banned/illegal part is actually buying the firearm as is, so i will be fine to "build it"?
My understanding is this is a no go in Mass, as it runs afowl of the Mass sawed off shotgun law, as shortening the barrel (or installing a shorter barrel) on what Mass considers a shotgun is verboten.

MGL definition is as follows;
“Sawed-off shotgun”, any weapon made from a shotgun, whether by alteration, modification or otherwise, if such weapon as modified has one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length or as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

My advice is find a stripped receiver and build a shockwave that way.

Back
Top Bottom