Most efficient short term food...

So I was going though my truck yesterday, resupplying my SHTF bag and my winter vehicle "snowday" box and got to thinking about food. I used to have a couple day supply of mountain house food shoved under the back bench seat. What about Peanut Butter?? A can of it, unopened is probably good until 2020 and in terms of calories you cant really beat it. Any reason not to just through a jar in my bug out bag, any downside to 3 or 4 days of just PB?

So I was going though my truck yesterday, resupplying my SHTF bag and my winter vehicle "snowday" box and got to thinking about food. I used to have a couple day supply of mountain house food shoved under the back bench seat. What about Peanut Butter?? A can of it, unopened is probably good until 2020 and in terms of calories you cant really beat it. Any reason not to just through a jar in my bug out bag, any downside to 3 or 4 days of just PB?

Lots of calories, good for a long time, and even useful as bait for meat snacks if you're stuck for a longer period of time.

I'd add a couple cans of beans to the bag though, to keep the works operating smoothly if you have to rely on this for any amount of time. Can't imagine that you'd want to deal with serious constipation on TOP of whatever other "situation" you're in. Weird to think about, but... [hmmm]

only problem with leaving things in a vehicle up here in the Northeast is the winter...the stuff will freeze over and over...probably not a good thing.

Twinkies.

Can't go wrong with them.

Survive nuclear fall out, ice age, whatever is thrown at them.

While that pack will help out a lot when you are hungry and stranded, 1200 calories a day is not enough! In a short term emergency, having any food is helpful for mental reasons as much as nutritional. Longer term you need to fuel your body.

According to a couple studies I pulled up on the net the average American eats between 3700-3900 calories a day.

According to a couple nutritional calculators on the web, the basal metabolic rate for a 5'9" 30 year old man who weighs 190 pounds is 1920 calories - that's how much he would burn without activity in a day. Add in the caloric needs for a physically demanding job and he should be eating 3,600 calories a day to maintain his weight.

A 5'4" 110 pound 30 year old woman would have a basic need of 1285 calories and with physical labor would need 2,450 calories a day.

Short term, anything helps. But when people are planning for long term storage it would be a good idea to figure out these numbers for yourself and your family, and then to track your eating for a week or so to see how many calories you really eat now. I bet you're underestimating by a lot.

</rant>

Back to the original topic my car kit for years has had tuna and peanut butter, and sometimes some snack bars like Luna's or something. If you're really concerned, pick a random weekend and just eat the stuff you have in your car. Unless at some point in your life you have had the I-don't-want-to-prepare-anything-and-I-live-alone's and know that you have already made do with those choices. [rolleyes]

+1 on upping your estimate of calories needed in an emergency situation. Last weekend I was chatting with a woman who leads extended backpacking excursions for the AMC. She advised that you should double your expectation for calories when planning food for such a trip. For example, one of those Mountain House freeze-dried entree pouches that says "2 servings" is really only 1 serving for a backpacker. I think the same planning should apply for anyone stocking a BOB.

4000 calories a day is a ton of food unless it is McDonalds. Think 40 cans of tuna! This is why our country is fat. I have packed 10 days of food out into the back country before. 4000 calories is way too much to carry per day. The average person has plenty of fat stores to supplement the food they stash or carry. A container of powdered sport drink or my favorite, Tang, could keep you going for days. Water is more important than food.

Most efficient food. I vote for sardines, peanut butter, Tang, Ramen Noodles, and instant spuds. Pepperoni is nice too. Very high in fat/calories.

Pick up one of these:

Mainstay Emergency Ration Bars

310OK1i1CBL._SL500_AA234_.jpg

9 pack of 400 calorie bars with a good mix of vitimins and such. Not to bad tasting with a kind of lemony flavor. But best of all, it will remain good in environments that get real warm like a vehicle interior. Most foods will not last in summer heat.

4000 calories a day is a ton of food unless it is McDonalds. Think 40 cans of tuna! This is why our country is fat. I have packed 10 days of food out into the back country before. 4000 calories is way too much to carry per day. The average person has plenty of fat stores to supplement the food they stash or carry. A container of powdered sport drink or my favorite, Tang, could keep you going for days. Water is more important than food.

Most efficient food. I vote for sardines, peanut butter, Tang, Ramen Noodles, and instant spuds. Pepperoni is nice too. Very high in fat/calories.

I agree. With the winter- tuna, sardines, herring, clams, oysters-all packed in oil hold up pretty well in the cold and do not freeze. PB, while it does not freeze will lock up pretty tight. It is a good stash of food supplement though-one I may add to the BOB. I do keep 3 of those Mt House 2 person meals in it in addition to half a dozen assorted cans o' fish bits in it. Dollar a can at Ocean State-good forever.

I would say living in the northeast you should have a little more than just food in your trunk. But I would suggest an emergency food bar or a MRE which are both easily found. Along with a source of hydration such as a gallon of water which can also be used anytime for filling an over heated radiator.

Last edited:
They also have smaller pouches - I cracked open a 1200 calorie one and ate one of the "cookies." Not bad. Tastes like a somewhat dry lemon cookie. And it led me to many hours of satisfaction - no browsing for something else too eat for quite some time, and looking into dinner now because it's time and not because I'm starving. I give it an A.

I believe this is what you are looking for; http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_FM R360_A_name_E_MAINSTAY™ 3,600 Calorie Food Bar

3600 calories per pouch divided into 9 400 calorie portions for 3 days worth of food. And it don't taste too bad either. I usually have one for breakfast when I'm in a hurry. And 3 days worth of survival food is not bad for $6.

I'd second the beans mentioned in the second post, but seriously, lose the cans. Get dried beans. If you don't have clean water to rehydrate them, you've got much bigger problems than food.

Ken

I'm preparing dinner from dried beans right now. I got them soaking last night after dinner. It takes more planning, but it's not rocket science.

Just buy some high energy candy/cookies/crackers and bottled water and rotate your stock.
If you have kids these are good to keep them calm if you are running late for meals and can be a "lifesaver" in those instances as well.
[cheers]

Dried Bean, Rice and Honey can make for a great, high-energy meal when you have the time to prepare them, but for a field food, go with something that you can prep and eat more easily/quickly. If you're in the field, you certainly don't want to be waiting 12 hours to let the beans rehydrate.

For home long-term storage survival food though, vacume sealled dried beans and rice plus sealed containers of honey keep VERY well over long periods of time and make pretty filling meals.

Back
Top Bottom