• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Motorola MT 2000 - worth the effort?

I have been very curious about getting into radios for quite some time. I was recently given a Motorola MT 2000 and it is currently programmed with some of the police and fire channels in MA, but not really anything in my immediate area and definitely not anything I could transmit on even with a license. From doing a bit of googling, it looks like this is not going to be easy for me to reprogram without spending some money.

Does anyone here know anything about this radio, and if it is worthwhile for me to use as a starter? Would I be better off getting something else inexpensive to start off with and see if I get into this hobby, and if so, any units in particular I should look at?

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Moto's are tough for hobby guys. Programming them is very difficult unless you know someone (@Sprocket maybe), and even then it's a one trick pony because it will only do what it is programmed for. If you want to start playing with HAM, I would get an actual dual band HAM radio that is actually user friendly. An FT-60 or something comparable is a great place to start unless you want to go super chicom cheap.

Find out what bandsplit / options it is first, otherwise it's pointless to proceed otherwise if it's not actually going to get you down into 440. (I'm guessing this is a UHF radio). Even then, 440 these days is dead as a stump most of the time.

I wouldn't mess with it myself unless this is a deal where you can get a bunch of other ones or you want to deal with the infrastructure to program it.

-Mike

I have and still use an MT2000. High quality public safety grade radio, but getting a bit old at this point. Motorola has stopped selling batteries for them, but plenty of aftermarket batteries are out there.

There is a common issue with the version with the display and keypad on the front where the display segments stop working. It can sometimes be corrected if you do some surgery on the radio (not recommended for most people)

Programming will require a $20 cable from ebay, a very old computer running windows 9X with DOS in the background and the software (which you can probably find floating around the internet).

As drgrant mentioned, these radios come in different bandsplits (the frequency range it functions in). Any one radio will have just a single frequency range it is capable of. Under the battery on the back is a label with a long "model" number. Something like H01SDH9AA7AN. Post that and it can be decoded into the bandsplit and some other features of the radio.

If you have a battery and can turn the radio on, I'll tell you how to get the firmware version to see if your radio can do the splinter frequencies which were created when the FCC narrowbanding happened.

As drgrant mentioned, these radios come in different bandsplits (the frequency range it functions in). Any one radio will have just a single frequency range it is capable of. Under the battery on the back is a label with a long "model" number. Something like H01SDH9AA7AN. Post that and it can be decoded into the bandsplit and some other features of the radio.

If you have a battery and can turn the radio on, I'll tell you how to get the firmware version to see if your radio can do the splinter frequencies which were created when the FCC narrowbanding happened.

I do have a working battery (and charger) and can turn it on. I will get the full model number later tonight.

Thanks guys. From your replies it's pretty clear that a) this radio isn't worth the time or money for me, and b) I have much to learn. Thank you for saving me the aggravation.

Probably a very mature assessment of the odds, but see below.

Motorola has stopped selling batteries for them, but plenty of aftermarket batteries are out there.
I'ma go out on a limb and claim that means Amazon is flush with them.

There is a common issue with the version with the display and keypad on the front where the display segments stop working. It can sometimes be corrected if you do some surgery on the radio (not recommended for most people)
Either your gift radio has the problem or it doesn't.
Don't freak out until/unless you see that it actually does.

Of course, even if it doesn't, either it will develop the problem or it won't.
So don't build your life around the radio and then discover it gets teh disease.
(But you have a mature assessment of the odds, so you won't).

And even if it has non-working display segments,
either it can be fixed (by you, or a fanboy; see below).

Assuming the fix itself is not a folk tale
like the wart cures in Tom Sawyer.

No disrespect to @MRE intended.
Sometimes rank speculation gets passed around the Intarwebs as truth,
and people go nuts sprinkling spunk water and swinging dead cats
in hopes that it'll fix their rig, This Time For Sure.

Programming will require a $20 cable from ebay, a very old computer running windows 9X with DOS in the background and the software (which you can probably find floating around the internet).

Or a GEMOTO fanboy with the software and cable.
Maybe you'll find someone that loves programming Other Peoples' Radios.

Normal people add extra frequencies to their normal radios'
memories in a continuing process.
But those public service bricks get treated differently -
More than once I've overheard the drama play out
of some starry-eyed newbie who's just bought one dirt cheap at a flea
being told "tell me what you want in the memory and I'll program it".
It happens so often, I literally can't remember who the generous people are.

I'm not saying everyone has Motorola brick cables,
but sometimes it seems like when someone buys one of those H/T's,
people come running, waving cables, as if it's the end of a relay race.

Heck, even if you score the software and cable,
it's probably coming from someone like that,
and any how-to guide will have been written by one.

Huh, who knew?

Motorola Jedi Series: Model Numbers & Bandsplits

(Most kind).

All of the above may leave you at the same conclusion,
but punt because it's not worth your time and effort -
not because you think you can't succeed with some help.

And if it doesn't dishonor the intent of your benefactor,
you can find someone else to sell the radio to for a little money.
(No, not me).

Assuming the fix itself is not a folk tale
like the wart cures in Tom Sawyer.

No disrespect to @MRE intended.
Sometimes rank speculation gets passed around the Intarwebs as truth,
and people go nuts sprinkling spunk water and swinging dead cats
in hopes that it'll fix their rig, This Time For Sure.

You can only fix your display with a dead cat if you stand facing due North at midnight on holy ground. Cat didn't cooperate, tore me to shreds, would not attempt again.

However I have gotten the displays on 2 or 3 of these radios back to fully functional with a soldering iron set to very low temperature and run over the display ribbon cable where it is adhered to the keypad PWB. Getting the radio apart so you can access this area, and being able to apply enough heat to get the adhesive to soften but not enough to melt the insulation on the cable, can be difficult though. Hence the cautionary note.

Or a GEMOTO fanboy with the software and cable.
Maybe you'll find someone that loves programming Other Peoples' Radios.

Normal people add extra frequencies to their normal radios'
memories in a continuing process.
But those public service bricks get treated differently -
More than once I've overheard the drama play out
of some starry-eyed newbie who's just bought one dirt cheap at a flea
being told "tell me what you want in the memory and I'll program it".
It happens so often, I literally can't remember who the generous people are.

Agree. That's why I described what was necessary rather than just offer to do it myself. Though I'd be happy to help, it usually takes multiple programmings to get a radio the way you want it, and of course to add new frequencies in the future.

I know a lot of people who already have a cache of old computers hanging around, enjoy playing with this type of stuff and wouldn't mind spending $20 for a cable. No idea if this describes the OP or not, but didn't want to scare them off when it isn't really that difficult if you are a technical person.

I do have a working battery (and charger) and can turn it on. I will get the full model number later tonight.
Turn your radio on, and within 10 seconds push the side button just above the push to talk button 5 times quickly. the radio will display the firmware and some other information on the screen. It goes quick, so you may have to do this a few times to get the info.

If your firmware is 2.11 or higher, it can be programmed to the splinter frequencies.

Thanks for the ongoing info guys. It is all very helpful.

As far as being technical and having old computers - I work in IT, and decades ago had a career as an auto mechanic, so tearing the radio apart to fix connections or digging out an old DOS/Win95 machine don't intimidate me. On the other hand, I value my time and have other projects waiting for attention, so I can't say I'm necessarily looking for another big project. And I do want to learn and understand what I am doing, but I don't see much point in investing the time and effort to learn the ins and outs of a radio that may be too limited.

The display seems to be working fully. At least for now. The only dead cat I have access to has been cremated so I wonder of the repair procedure may be simplified by a sprinkling of ashes should the problem arise down the road.

My firmware is 2.00. And MRE, you really weren't kidding about the info going by quickly! I got the firmware number easily enough, but the other stuff flew by so I didn't bother with it for now.

The full model number is H01SDD9AA4AN. From the link above, this decodes as 146-178 MHz, 4-5 watts, programmable channel spacing, conventional/simplex operation.

The display seems to be working fully. At least for now. The only dead cat I have access to has been cremated so I wonder of the repair procedure may be simplified by a sprinkling of ashes should the problem arise down the road.
That sounds closest to the ol' "burn the unblooded half of a split bean
at midnight in the dark of the moon" method.

(But Compound W for me).
ETA: For wart removal - not for fluxing solder joints.

Thanks for the ongoing info guys. It is all very helpful.

The full model number is H01SDD9AA4AN. From the link above, this decodes as 146-178 MHz, 4-5 watts, programmable channel spacing, conventional/simplex operation.

The "S" in the model number equates to 450-520 MHz bandsplit. 146-178 MHz is usually designated "K".

The second D indicates the "standard control/display", I'm guessing your radio has the small display on top near the knobs? I bet that was hard to read the model number from!

The "S" in the model number equates to 450-520 MHz bandsplit. 146-178 MHz is usually designated "K".

The second D indicates the "standard control/display", I'm guessing your radio has the small display on top near the knobs? I bet that was hard to read the model number from!

Thanks for double checking me MRE! Yes, I messed up on the meaning of S, which makes a pretty big difference.

Yup, I just have a small display up by the knobs. It went by so fast that I didn't even realize that the rest of what was being displayed is the model number until you pointed it out. I had gotten the model number from the label under the battery before checking the firmware version so I didn't kill myself trying to keep up with the rapidly changing display.

Back
Top Bottom