• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mouse over thread preview

I've searched and found that others were having this problem right after the forum upgrade, I'm still having it but only on one laptop.

Using Chrome on my desktop and Chromebook I can hover the mouse over the thread title and a preview pops up, which is awesome for filtering posts with misleading titles etc. On my laptop it doesn't work. Any ideas? Using the same version of Chrome with the same addons across all three computers, signed in on the same google account. Regular google search doesn't turn up anything.

It's a Chrome/Windows/Internet in general quirk regarding touch-capable computers. If your browser sends along a string saying that your monitor is touch-capable, the forum software changes a bunch of things around which are not supported in a touch-only environment, such as that hover-over.

The problem is that the browser doesn't differentiate between touch-capable, and touch-enabled/tablet mode enabled... so even if you aren't using the touch features at all, these things get disabled.

There's really no good way of dealing with it from my side, unfortunately - there's some workarounds built into 2.0 of the forum software, but that's not in a state which we can use just quite yet.

I don't have a touch screen nearby to test on, but maybe disabling touch just for Chrome would put it back (as perhaps Chrome won't send along the flag that you're on a touch enabled device) ?

Google Chrome - How to disable touch input

Of course, that assumes you don't want to be able to use touch in Chrome elsewhere.

I don't have a touch screen nearby to test on, but maybe disabling touch just for Chrome would put it back (as perhaps Chrome won't send along the flag that you're on a touch enabled device) ?

Google Chrome - How to disable touch input

Of course, that assumes you don't want to be able to use touch in Chrome elsewhere.

I will try this tomorrow when I'm in the shop. Thanks!

I tried and it didn't work on my Surface... I'm thinking they detect touch through the O/S flag, rather than the browser tag. I've got a couple ideas to override it from the server side that I'll give a go tomorrow.

I have a win7 w/ firefox, and a win10 with touchscreen and chrome and it works on both.

The win10 is a work computer. They do have their own custom win10 config that they made, so may be the difference there.

Tried the touch disable in Chrome but it didn't work. The thread preview does work on m4carbine.net and ar15.com with the laptop in question so I'm thinking it's software specific.

Back
Top Bottom