• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Move out of country, what to do with firearms?

I may have an opportunity to move to Europe for a year or two and am wondering what I do with my firearm collection. I probably would keep my house but I am not sure.

I don't have any firearm friendly friends here in MA that I could leave my guns with. Am I still a "resident" if I temporarily move to another country? Can I leave them secured in my home? Do any FFLs provide cost-effective long term storage? I have some off list guns I won't part with.

Chris

I may have an opportunity to [strike=-]move to[/strike] visit Europe for a year or two and am wondering what I do with my firearm collection. I probably would keep my house but I am not sure.

I don't have any firearm friendly friends here in MA that I could leave my guns with. Am I still a "resident" if I temporarily [strike=-]move to[/strike] visit another country? Can I leave them secured in my home? Do any FFLs provide cost-effective long term storage? I have some off list guns I won't part with.

Chris

FTFY

I have family in NH, but then I could not move them back.

Chris

Why couldn't you??

Rent a storage unit in NH, put your firearms in a strong safe in there (behind a lot of other things), auto-pay the bill (or pay it for the year up front) and don't worry about it. Have a friend, or family member, you trust periodically check up on the unit. When you come back state-side, move to NH and leave the commie state behind. [smile]

Or sell all the MA only guns you have before you leave, move to a free state when you return, and tell MA to FOAD!! [rofl2]

Whether you are moving or visiting, I wouldn't think it would matter. If you store them with family in NH, you are storing them with them. They are still yours I woulddn't think you would need to do a transfer back to yourself even if your LTC expired.
IANAL, IANAMR, YMMV

Whether you are moving or visiting, I wouldn't think it would matter. If you store them with family in NH, you are storing them with them. They are still yours I woulddn't think you would need to do a transfer back to yourself even if your LTC expired.
IANAL, IANAMR, YMMV

I guess what I am wondering is if I expatriate myself (pay taxes in Europe and MA I guess) is my LTC invalid and the local PD will come looking for my guns?

I am going to need to talk to an attorney about the overall deal regarding citizenship, but I don't know about firearm-specific stuff.

Not worried about ammo and accessories.

Chris

Why couldn't you??

Rent a storage unit in NH, put your firearms in a strong safe in there (behind a lot of other things), auto-pay the bill (or pay it for the year up front) and don't worry about it. Have a friend, or family member, you trust periodically check up on the unit. When you come back state-side, move to NH and leave the commie state behind. [smile]

Or sell all the MA only guns you have before you leave, move to a free state when you return, and tell MA to FOAD!! [rofl2]

This. Storage outside of state and you should be fine whatever happens. After you renew your LTC or become a MA resident again you can bring them back. Of course, if storage for 2 years is too much of the value of your firearms, you might be better off selling them off first.

Worst case scenario you could most likely pay an FFL to keep them.

Sure, what do I do with my super dangerous firearms like the Colt Python shown in my avatar? Do they have to log them into their books if they keep them?

Chris

I guess what I am wondering is if I expatriate myself (pay taxes in Europe and MA I guess) is my LTC invalid and the local PD will come looking for my guns?

I am going to need to talk to an attorney about the overall deal regarding citizenship, but I don't know about firearm-specific stuff.

Chris

you can ex-pat yourself all you want. You're still a US citizen and a MA citizen. Your LTC wouldn't become invalid. I'd just put the guns in climate controlled storage in a safe. or put a safe in your NH family's house. I'd not give this a second thought.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure, what do I do with my super dangerous firearms like the Colt Python shown in my avatar? Do they have to log them into their books if they keep them?

Chris
you give the Colt Python to me.

Why not? Won't they give them back to you? They're still YOUR GUNS, whether you put them in NH or Timbuktu.

Chris
Overthinking this... consult a tax attorney, sure, but why are you even THINKING of giving up your citizenship?

And for G-d's sake, you've been a member here for years - have you ever READ the legal section? Even if you move to NH and then come back to Marxachusetts, JUST BRING YOUR GUNS WITH YOU. You don't have to transfer them, you don't have to register them, you don't have to say ****ing "Mother, may I?". Just be sure that your LTC doesn't expire while you're away. Keep your house so you can have your LTC at the same address and not have to deal with a new PD who may or may not give you an LTC-A.

Why not? Won't they give them back to you? They're still YOUR GUNS, whether you put them in NH or Timbuktu.

Overthinking this... consult a tax attorney, sure, but why are you even THINKING of giving up your citizenship?

And for G-d's sake, you've been a member here for years - have you ever READ the legal section? Even if you move to NH and then come back to Marxachusetts, JUST BRING YOUR GUNS WITH YOU. You don't have to transfer them, you don't have to register them, you don't have to say ****ing "Mother, may I?". Just be sure that your LTC doesn't expire while you're away. Keep your house so you can have your LTC at the same address and not have to deal with a new PD who may or may not give you an LTC-A.

I am not thinking about giving up my citizenship, I just don't understand my legal status if I am living and employed elsewhere.

If I sell my house, I guess this would complicate the issue.

Chris

Just be sure that your LTC doesn't expire while you're away. Keep your house so you can have your LTC at the same address and not have to deal with a new PD who may or may not give you an LTC-A.

The big question is when does OP's current LTC expire? If he just got it and it doesn't expire until 2020 I would say he's golden (if he only plans on staying in Europe for a few years anyways).

Definitely leave the guns with someone you trust, rather than sticking them in a storage unit, if you have the options. Even in a climate controlled storage unit I would still worry about corrosion somehow setting in on one or more of them. Case in point: I keep my guns very clean and oiled down with CLP. However, sometimes I'll shoot a milsurp gun with corrosive ammo and not get every millimeter of area affected by the corrosive salts. I think it's all oiled down and good but I'll open the safe not long after putting the gun away and "oops!", there's a little orange frosting near the muzzle or something.

If I were going to be away from my stuff for a long period of time, I'd want someone I trust to have them so they can pull them all out once a month or something and just check to make sure there's nothing creeping in. I'd leave them with a tub of CLP too. [wink]

I am not thinking about giving up my citizenship, I just don't understand my legal status if I am living and employed elsewhere.

If I sell my house, I guess this would complicate the issue.

Chris

You've already been given the best advice by others here. Even if you sell your house in MA, leave every single last gun you own with family/friends in NH, stay in Europe for 10 years, come back to the states and resume residence anywhere, you still should have no problems moving back to MA (if you so wish) with all your guns. You would of course have to apply for a new LTC at that point. This is all based on current MA laws though. Who knows what may change in the coming years but I can't imagine they'd pass a law that says you can't bring any guns into the state that weren't already "registered" here. [thinking]

Chris

Any gun that comes into their inventory is logged in. I'm pretty sure yours would be logged in, but not sure how that matters.

A lot of shops will hold your guns if your about to lose your LTC and need safe storage. I'm sure some will help in this case. PM me if you can't find any other way.

My Brother kept my guns for me when I lived and worked in the Bahamas for 2.5 years.
Told him he could shoot the ammo, just not the red tipped ones. (Tracers)

Malodave

I live in NH and have plenty of room in the basement - get a safe here, lock it, come back a couple of years later, unlock it, get your stuff. I will check it before you lock it to make sure it's only hardware and nothing that would be illegal in NH, then never open it - don't even want to know the combination.

Will charge you in hard liquor for the rental of the basement corner - your family should do the same thing for free.

You are seriously over-thinking your situation - MA has no jurisdiction over your legal possessions. If your LTC expires and you live out of MA, who gives a hoot? You just need to get your LTC again if and when you move back in.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-55633.html

I would think having your family hold it can constitute as borrowing.

There are no guns you can have here that you can't have in NH so you should be fine. I also think ma transport laws (locked in a case) aren't too different from Nh so I would say driving it up there shouldn't be a problem but IANAL.
As for ammo, it has a shelf life of 6 months so I'd be more than happy to take them off your hands. Jk!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-55633.html

I would think having your family hold it can constitute as borrowing.

There are no guns you can have here that you can't have in NH so you should be fine. I also think ma transport laws (locked in a case) aren't too different from Nh so I would say driving it up there shouldn't be a problem but IANAL.
As for ammo, it has a shelf life of 6 months so I'd be more than happy to take them off your hands. Jk!

Transport laws for NH?? [rofl2] Easy, if you don't have a NH P&R, keep the pistols and rifles unloaded. If you have a P&R, you can carry the pistols loaded (keep rifles unloaded). No locked container stupidity in NH.

Before thinking about a storage unit, the question would be do you already have a good safe? Then the cost of a 5 x 10 foot climate controlled unit is about $60 a month. Electric for a goldenrod heater may or may not be available. So is the cost worth what is stored? You're looking at maybe $1400 to $1500 for the two year period.

Might be worth thinking about selling off the lesser items and storing the truly valuable ones with family. Or store them all with them even if you have to get a decent safe and put it there.

Chris
Why would you not be able to bring them back? Your NH family members will "borrow" them for awhile then they give them back.....assuming your family members are not PP and can legally posess fire arms. You come home and they give them back to you.....what is the problem?

Stupid and yet still light years better than MA.

The rifle reg's are from game laws (no hunting from inside/on a vehicle). Still, you can have the magazine right next to the rifle without issue.

BTW, zero licenses are needed in NH to own firearms. Another case of being light years better than MA (or other nanny states).

The rifle reg's are from game laws (no hunting from inside/on a vehicle). Still, you can have the magazine right next to the rifle without issue.

BTW, zero licenses are needed in NH to own firearms. Another case of being light years better than MA (or other nanny states).

Agreed. I remember selling a gun with just a bill of sale to a friend in indiana. I hope that was legal. It was awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see why you couldn't have your relatives in NH "barrow" them while your gone. You have not handed in you MA drivers license for another state license. You just don't have a permanent address for a couple years. Get a PO BOX or have your mail forwarded to a friends place. Technically you still have a license and shouldn't need to transfer anything to anyone.

Agreed. I remember selling a gun with just a bill of sale to a friend in indiana. I hope that was legal. It was awesome.

I've bought a few guns in VT FTF... in parking lots. Got a receipt for one but didn't bother with the others... Of course, now that I've got the FFL, I need to do NICS checks on stuff that's not my own personal collection.

Back
Top Bottom