Moved out of MA

I recently moved out of MA, and I know I need to submit the change of address form, but my question is: to whom do I send it?

My permit was issued in Dedham, but I moved to Hudson a year ago. (I sent out all the notifications then, as well.) Do I notify Dedham, Hudson, or both?

And, since I've left the state, do I still notify the FRB? (I assume the answer is yes.)

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Do you really have to notify them?

You probably don't "have" to.

Unless you think that there is any remote possibility of your returning to this state and you want to renew your license.

You are free to do whatever you want to do.

And you are also free to face the consequences.

Choose...wisely.

I may be wrong, but isnt there some strange twist where if you dont notify and are found to to carrying later on, its a misdemeanor not a felony?

Might matter if you're not a Mass res. anymore. Len would know. Jack.
MGL requires notifications Failure to do so, PD can revoke and you may never get any MA LTC ever again and you lose the legal protection against a felony if ever caught with a spent .22 case inMA.

MGL requires notifications Failure to do so, PD can revoke and you may never get any MA LTC ever again and you lose the legal protection against a felony if ever caught with a spent .22 case inMA.
So if you envision being in MA from time to time after a move out of state, its best to notify? I thought it was the other way around for some reason. (if you didnt notify it was a slap on the wrist while if you did notify it was a more serious charge)

Christ, I'm reading this 10 years after I gave the middle finger to MA and moved the heck out without saying boo to anyone. Guess what? The boogie man didn't come knocking on my door.

Prisoners trying to leave a good impression on the prison staff in case they ever need to come back to prison.

I think it may have been @Rob Boudrie that said if you’re caught carrying on an expired LTC it’s a misdemeanor and not a felony??
I never said any such thing. I said it was a civil violation punishable by only a fine, not a misdemeanor :D . In order to qualify for the protection you must (a) Not have become a prohibited person, and (b) Not applied for a renewal and been turned down.

Police can't even take action against an expired LTC. Unlike an unexpired LTC it cannot be revoked or suspended. Being cognizant as to the import of this is left as an exercise to the reader.

Christ, I'm reading this 10 years after I gave the middle finger to MA and moved the heck out without saying boo to anyone. Guess what? The boogie man didn't come knocking on my door.

Prisoners trying to leave a good impression on the prison staff in case they ever need to come back to prison.
:rolleyes:

I never said any such thing. I said it was a civil violation punishable by only a fine, not a misdemeanor :D . In order to qualify for the protection you must (a) Not have become a prohibited person, and (b) Not applied for a renewal and been turned down.

Police can't even take action against an expired LTC. Unlike an unexpired LTC it cannot be revoked or suspended. Being cognizant as to the import of this is left as an exercise to the reader.
Sorry Rob. I was way off. I just knew you said something about getting caught carrying on an expired LTC

Sorry Rob. I was way off. I just knew you said something about getting caught carrying on an expired LTC
I was the one who mentioned a misdemeanor.

So if I move out of state, dont notify, my LTC expires and I am caught carrying on a return trip to MA its a civil violation. If the circumstances are the same except I had notified the state of the move, Im now subject to a felony charge?

Nonsense. Some of us plan to escape but from time to time return to shoot in competitions etc. While it's unlikely that someone will get tripped up in MA, in the unlikely event something does happen it would be good to know the best strategy to avoid the worst charges.

So if I move out of state, dont notify, my LTC expires and I am caught carrying on a return trip to MA its a civil violation. If the circumstances are the same except I had notified the state of the move, Im now subject to a felony charge?
With all caveats about this not being legal advice, me not being a member of the bar (though I did patronize several bars and even tried cases [of beer] when I was younger) pay a lawyer to have someone qualified advise you , etc., here goes:
  • If you move out of state and report, they will probably do nothing.
  • If the state takes action it will be to "Expire", not "Revoke" the LTC.
  • In MA parlance, ending an LTCs validity early is "Expiring" is unless it is a revocation or suspension
  • You lose the expired LTC protection if the LTC was revoked or suspended for any reason other than file a change of address. Yes, really.
  • Do NOT expect local police to know this. You may need a lawyer to straighten this out for you.
  • There was one prosecution (I think it was a long expired FID) where the state argued the law did not apply to very old expirations (I think it was 15 years or so). The state lost and the defendant was protected.
  • Keep proof of your expired LTC (good quality copies). If you use this once, you probably will not regain physical possession of the FID or LTC but that does not change your status as someone with an expired FID/LTC.
There are several subtleties in MA that work in favor of the gun owner that the system does not like, therefore, it tends to be light on training police officers on the nuances of expired licenses; on vs. off you person on school grounds; or why a SBR can be carried loaded anywhere you can carry a handgun (but a full sized AR cannot).

No offense taken, but when it comes to the law subtle things like "civil violation" vs. misdemeanor; "CWOF vs conviction"; etc. can make a very significant difference. It pays to be precise.

I'll give you an example. You are changing a tire on your car in a local school parking lot. A police officer stops to ask if you need assistance and sees a gun case in your car. You decline to open it, (s)he gets a search warrant, finds the gun and charges us under MGL269-10j. Get an attorney, you are in the clear if the gun was in a locked case, or for some guns, has a trigger lock, and the state cannot prove beyond a reasonable doubt you carried in "on your person" on school property. Now consider the same scenario but you try to impress the officer with how responsible you are and say "I know it was not legal to carry on school property so I locked the gun case and put it in the trunk. Guess what - you have just admitted to carrying a firearm "on your person" on school property and turned a frustratingly (for the police) bogus charge into a conviction that brings lifetime prohibited person status. All because of one little detail the hypothetical individual in question was not aware of, combined with the traditional advice of STFU without your attorney present.

Last edited:
Now, how to obtain this wonderful uncancelable expired LTC while also holding a valid LTC because I still live here. I doubt it’s possible, even if I move towns. Unless of course the license before renewal is considered “expired” even while I also have a valid renewed LTC.

Does an expired FID do anything? I could always apply for one to hold concurrent with the LTC then let it expire.

Edit: MGL 140 129B (12) has very similar language. I’ll be applying for an FID and never renewing it, just as insurance. Sure it only applies to some guns, but better than none.

Last edited:
Nonsense. Some of us plan to escape but from time to time return to shoot in competitions etc. While it's unlikely that someone will get tripped up in MA, in the unlikely event something does happen it would be good to know the best strategy to avoid the worst charges.
If you plan on returning to MA with firearms, I can see considering notifying whoever you are obligated to. I’ve done all that I can to not step foot in that state since I left, and I don’t regret not informing the guards that I escaped.

im-calling-the-police-randy-marsh.gif

Well, I was incorrect about the exemption for revocation due to not notifying, you don't lose that protection if caught with something in the car.
Syntatically speaking, not losing that protection is not conditioned on being caught with something in the car, so the second half of the sentence is content free.

It's the equivalent of a computer geek writing code like "if True and A > B" 😥

I would update your address. Nothing in the MGL voids out a locally issued license if you move out of state. It’s still valid and you can buy ammo in MA with it, something you can’t do on a 131F license (non-res).

I would update your address. Nothing in the MGL voids out a locally issued license if you move out of state. It’s still valid and you can buy ammo in MA with it, something you can’t do on a 131F license (non-res).
I am no longer a MA resident. Notified as above. Still have an active resident LTC that shows my non MA address. The FFL where I transferred a preban Ak in MA was a little confused when he gave me my MIRCS paperwork.

Back
Top Bottom