• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Movie Review: Stone Cold

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Fans of both Robert B. Parker and Tom Selleck will like this movie. Made from Parker's novel of the same name it is the story of Jesse Stone, ex-LA cop who is the Chief of Police of the small town of Paradise, MA. He is faced with a serial killer (killers?) and a gang rape incident. His handling of both makes for a riveting and very interesting story. There seem to be several minor departures from the book but not enough to ruin the plot lines.

You learn early on who the killer (killers) is/are and this makes the cat-and-mouse game more interesting as you watch both sides progress.

Selleck is excellent as the experienced but troubled cop and he has a strong supporting cast who help make the story believable. The serial killer(s) will make you shudder to think there are people in the world who could commit crimes in such a calculating manner.

I watched it on DVD and enjoyed it from beginning to end. So grab a scotch and settle in for two hours of a great movie.

Is it Tom Selleck with or without mustache?

It makes a big difference as to whether or not I'll be able to watch it. Too distracting when he doesn't have one. Makes his lip look funny.

And who ever won Quigley's rifle? It sure wasn't me. Fooey.

Necro-thread!

This Jesse Stone TV movie series was a complete surprise to me. I think I found it because I was looking for Quigley, or some other Selleck classic, on Netflix. Lo and behold, up pops this series I've never heard of before.

Currently on Netflix:
Jesse Stone: Night Passage
Jesse Stone: Stone Cold
Jesse Stone: Death in Paradise

2/3 are excellent, starting the 3rd right now.

I know the idea of a true peace officer in a small rich North Shore town in Massachusetts is pretty unbelievable, but it's a great role for Selleck. It's also nice to have someone who knows his way around a 1911, chastises his officers about trigger discipline, and casually comments about 40 grain .22 ammo, "Most likely ten buck a brick stuff".

In the prequel, it was also funny that when he first arrives as a new chief of police in "Paradise", MA, he tells his assistant that "I probably need a license for that", meaning his own gun. That's not Hollywood, that's Selleck knowing about BS Mass. laws.

He also loves dogs, and every woman in town throws her panties on the floor when he walks in. [smile]

Necro-thread!

This Jesse Stone TV movie series was a complete surprise to me. I think I found it because I was looking for Quigley, or some other Selleck classic, on Netflix. Lo and behold, up pops this series I've never heard of before.

Currently on Netflix:
Jesse Stone: Night Passage
Jesse Stone: Stone Cold
Jesse Stone: Death in Paradise

2/3 are excellent, starting the 3rd right now.

I know the idea of a true peace officer in a small rich North Shore town in Massachusetts is pretty unbelievable, but it's a great role for Selleck. It's also nice to have someone who knows his way around a 1911, chastises his officers about trigger discipline, and casually comments about 40 grain .22 ammo, "Most likely ten buck a brick stuff".

In the prequel, it was also funny that when he first arrives as a new chief of police in "Paradise", MA, he tells his assistant that "I probably need a license for that", meaning his own gun. That's not Hollywood, that's Selleck knowing about BS Mass. laws.

He also loves dogs, and every woman in town throws her panties on the floor when he walks in. [smile]
Very cool! Queuing these up right now!

Yes, there are six and I believe that they are working on a seventh. I liked them and bought them on DVD so I can watch them anytime.

Great movies. The series all follow in sequence--we have six of them (except for Innocence Lost, the most recent)--so it's all one story. I understand that a new one is to be aired on the 20th on CBS.
He does a great job as Jesse Stone.

Good series! Netflix has 7 of the episodes available on DVD. In order of release date:

Jesse Stone: Stone Cold (2005)
Jesse Stone: Night Passage (2006)
Jesse Stone: Death In Paradise (2006)
Jesse Stone: Sea Change (2007)
Jesse Stone: Thin Ice (2009)
Jesse Stone: No Remorse (2010)
Jesse Stone: Innocents Lost (2011)

The 8th one, Jesse Stone: Benefit Of The Doubt, should be out May 20th of this year. I'll be watching for it.

Good series! Netflix has 7 of the episodes available on DVD. In order of release date:

Jesse Stone: Stone Cold (2005)
Jesse Stone: Night Passage (2006)
Jesse Stone: Death In Paradise (2006)
Jesse Stone: Sea Change (2007)
Jesse Stone: Thin Ice (2009)
Jesse Stone: No Remorse (2010)
Jesse Stone: Innocents Lost (2011)

The 8th one, Jesse Stone: Benefit Of The Doubt, should be out May 20th of this year. I'll be watching for it.

iTunes has everything except Stone Cold (a curious omission). *edit* Turns out they have Stone Cold too; it just doesn't show up in the listings.

They're all purchase only, no rentals. The newest two are $14.99 to buy ($17.99 in HD), and the older ones are $9.99 (Sea Change is the only $9.99 title that is also available in HD for $17.99.)

I heard I'm getting an iTunes gift card for my birthday. I might have to spend it here.

And in other news - the Quigley rifle and other firearms owned by Selleck were at the NRA firearm museum when I was there last. The museum is totally worth going to and seeing, especially if you're a gun guy/gal. I just wish the shooting gallery was functioning. Hollywood guns, personal collections, national treasures are there galore - really an under-rated stop IMO

Back
Top Bottom