Moving during the application process in MA

Mesatchornug

NES Member
Question from a student/friend:

Let's say you live in a town that takes longer than 40 days to process your application. While your application is being processed, you move to another town in MA. What do you do about the LTC app?

My guesses are:
1) wait for it to complete, then immediately inform as normal
2) request that the old town cancels the application (and refunds your check?) and reapply in your new town.

Anyone?

The moment you become a resident of a new town the application would most likely become invalid and you would have to resubmit through your new town. So wait.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

"Most likely"....."I think"..."IANAL"..."I would"... etc etc... No offense, OP, and no offense to anyone here, but if I've learned one thing over the years in MA, it's to never fully trust "hearsay", even by kind, helpful, cool, GOOD, well-intentioned fellow members of a gun forum...

If you want actual REAL legal advice, contact someone who IS actually "AL"..and you will definitely get some great lawyers referred to you by fellow members. Please don't hesitate to call one, even if it costs a buck (cuz you'll definitely spend two or three if your LTC gets" messed up" because someone "most likely"/"I would "etc

"Most likely"....."I think"..."IANAL"..."I would"... etc etc... No offense, OP, and no offense to anyone here, but if I've learned one thing over the years in MA, it's to never fully trust "hearsay", even by kind, helpful, cool, GOOD, well-intentioned fellow members of a gun forum...

Yup.
I would call your PD from a friends phone and ask the question in the most general sense lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup.
I would call your PD from a friends phone and ask the question in the most general sense lol

Tinfoil much?

Simply wait it out if it was submitted more than a few weeks ago and then do a change of address per MGL when you receive it.

If it was submitted a week or two ago, I'd call PD (from your own phone) and explain and ask if they can cancel the application. Doing so you may lose the $100, since it is an application fee not a license fee (license is "free") and if they processed it thru MIRCS, the PD WILL get billed $75 for your application.

I 'know a guy' whos renewal took 6 months. In that time he decided to put his house on the market, fixed it up, sold it, and moved in state. He went with choice one and did the address change the day he got the new ltc. Even though he did his c&r and driver licence changes month before. So far no one has busted down any doors....
(Oh and no way in h3ll you will get a refund from the original town, if you tell them the app is no longer valid you automatically forfeit the money)

Tinfoil much?

Simply wait it out if it was submitted more than a few weeks ago and then do a change of address per MGL when you receive it.

If it was submitted a week or two ago, I'd call PD (from your own phone) and explain and ask if they can cancel the application. Doing so you may lose the $100, since it is an application fee not a license fee (license is "free") and if they processed it thru MIRCS, the PD WILL get billed $75 for your application.

I 'know a guy' whos renewal took 6 months. In that time he decided to put his house on the market, fixed it up, sold it, and moved in state. He went with choice one and did the address change the day he got the new ltc. Even though he did his c&r and driver licence changes month before. So far no one has busted down any doors....
(Oh and no way in h3ll you will get a refund from the original town, if you tell them the app is no longer valid you automatically forfeit the money)

Fortunately, they haven't started the application process yet, so this is navel-gazing right now. Thanks all for the comments.

I did this exact thing. I applied in Marlborough in January, and ended up moving to Quincy in February before the LTC came in. When it came in, I simply had to drive to Marlborough to pick it up and mail a change of address form to Marlborough PD, Quincy PD, and DOJ. Worked out fine.

I have a buddy who was in a similar situation, he ended up moving weeks after the app was processed, the city he applied thru was very easy at the time (after they got sued)
Let's just say, the licensing officer didn't take it kindly ( and I'm putting it light terms here) when my buddy informed them he was moving.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom