Moving from MA to CT licensing question

Born and raised in CT, move to MA 4 years ago. Personal reasons are forcing my move back to CT. I never carried a pistol permit in CT, but now have an LTC in MA so I would need to apply. Would it behoove me to apply for a non-resident first, then change it to a resident when I move? Or should I wait until Im legally residing in CT again to apply? I did a search and could not find an answer. Thanks guys.

If you have time, apply before you move. The permit is the same, just a different address (not like the DPRM where the non-resident permit is a different beast)

Is there some sort of process after moving where it needs to be approved by the town I plan on living in?

If you apply has a nonresident you can skip the town and go straight to DESPP. There has been some scuttlebutt that some towns are jerking applicants around.

When I applied last month I was told the wait was four months.

Bob

Is there some sort of process after moving where it needs to be approved by the town I plan on living in?

If you're a resident of CT, you obtain a temporary permit locally, (from your PD or selectman) that's good statewide first, then use that to obtain your five year state issued permit.

If you're a non-resident, you apply directly to the state for your state issued permit. Once you have your state issued permit in hand, you simply renew it as necessary. If you change your address you notify the SLFU. They tell you to put a label on your existing permit with your new address on it.

Get your nonresident CT permit now. As others have mentioned there are many unfriendly 2A towns in CT which will hold up the process for any reason they desire. Yes, there is a defined time period where the permit must be processed, but no penalties for the offending municipalities. Yes, you can appeal to the BFPE, but you’ll probably be waiting upwards of 3 years for a hearing. Apply directly with the State via the nonresident process and get your permit before the leaves change color. Once you move into the State, I believe you just need to make an address change with the State on the permit although I’m not certain if new laws changed that.

Thanks for the answers. I have a packet I recieved from the DESPP with everything to apply. Will send it in ASAP
Ensure you take the correct course too as the standard MA LTC course does not qualify. You want the NRA Basic Pistol (with live fire).

I just thought I'd second the idea of getting a non-res if possible first.
Unlike a resident permit, its an all state process, with no dependence on a local issuing authority.

If you move to a town like East Windsor, which is known to turn around applications in 2-3 weeks, the state process will slow you down. If you are moving to Bridgeport (DON'T!!!) then spending the extra money for a non-res first is money well spent.

Don

p.s. care to share what town you are moving to? I may be able to provide input.

Sorry Don, I did not know that you replied. I moved 2 weeks ago to Windsor Locks. Due to my lack of follow through and the state's lack of ability to actually send the packet I now have to apply as an in state resident. Any knowledge on Windsor Locks and how they process applications?

I just thought I'd second the idea of getting a non-res if possible first.
Unlike a resident permit, its an all state process, with no dependence on a local issuing authority.

If you move to a town like East Windsor, which is known to turn around applications in 2-3 weeks, the state process will slow you down. If you are moving to Bridgeport (DON'T!!!) then spending the extra money for a non-res first is money well spent.

Don

p.s. care to share what town you are moving to? I may be able to provide input.

Incidentally, non-resident applicants end up paying less for their permit than resident applicants. In that sense, it's not extra money spent.

Sorry Don, I did not know that you replied. I moved 2 weeks ago to Windsor Locks. Due to my lack of follow through and the state's lack of ability to actually send the packet I now have to apply as an in state resident. Any knowledge on Windsor Locks and how they process applications?

I don't really know. But the towns in that area tend to be pretty good.

If you use facebook, I suggest you join the CCDL and CT Carry groups.

I assume nothing has changed since 2018 in switching non - res permit into a res permit if moving to CT? Just notify the state authority that I am changing the address.

Update: Tried calling and received an automated response to email the state authority. It's now been one month since I've called and emailed and I haven't heard anything from them. What else should I do?

I would call the phone number the state lists for firearms transfer approvals. It will get you to the nice ladies who actually handle that stuff and you will get to speak with one of them in just a few minutes.

they will take care of you.

DPS has gotten so backed up they are doing transfer authorizations for FFL's via email lol

At the beginning of the moo goo gai pandemic they were quarantining physical mail for 2 weeks

DPS has gotten so backed up they are doing transfer authorizations for FFL's via email lol

At the beginning of the moo goo gai pandemic they were quarantining physical mail for 2 weeks
Thats insane. What is their turn around time on an email?

I remember in the 2013 panic, large dealers just kept giving names, taking up a line pretty much all day.

I was at Hoffman's at the time because even though I was a FFL I couldn't get a certain Ruger Mk3. This version was about to be outlawed by the AWB. (pistols with threaded bbl are AWs per PA13-3). So I didn't care about paying wholesale.

I left the gun with the sales guy. Mine was like 18th in queue with their guy on the phone with the DESPP. I went and got lunch and I was like 7th in queue.

I was doing this as a retail transfer with a 4473 and NICS check. I asked the guy if he would do a dealer transfer? He said "Oh god yes" and we did the paperwork and I was gone. The next day I called right at opening and transferred it to myself. ha.

I just had one done via e-mail. Took a few days but this was over the holiday weekend.

That's encouraging.

A buddy of mine who has a CT resident permit told me last night that he fcked up royally. His permit expires next week and he just sent in his renewal paperwork.

Back
Top Bottom