• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

moving need help with gun laws

im moveing from pa to ca and wonderd driveing there are there any gun laws i should be aware of for takeing guns in my van?

Neither PA nor CA are in our little zone.

Second, transport requires compliance with FOPA, meaning you have to be legal for possession in both the state of origin and destination. Further, the guns must be in locked cases, unloaded, with ammunition separately secured.

I suggest you make sure you are legal in CA - that means REAL research; not expecting competent legal counsel, free, from anonymous sources on websites not familiar with either state's laws.

Get rid of any "assault" style rifles before you arrive in CA.They don't allow the sale,transportation or importation of "assault" rifles.If you had an "assault' rifle,you would be importing them into the state,which is a big no-no.

Get rid of any "assault" style rifles before you arrive in CA.They don't allow the sale,transportation or importation of "assault" rifles.If you had an "assault' rifle,you would be importing them into the state,which is a big no-no.

They also don't allow any "high capacity" magazine (anything over 10
rounds) to be imported as well. Note that this is worse than the MA
ban... the only "exemption" in CA is that people that owned them before
2000 can keep the ones they have.

-Mike

They also don't allow any "high capacity" magazine (anything over 10
rounds) to be imported as well. Note that this is worse than the MA
ban... the only "exemption" in CA is that people that owned them before
2000 can keep the ones they have.

-Mike

Ya,I'm thinking we are going to be facing the same laws as CA very very soon.

No cosmetically incorrect semi-automatic firearms (AKA "assault weapons") are allowed. The California list of firearms discriminated against based on their appearance is considerably longer than the former federal list or the current Massachusetts list. Also, when you get there, you're going register all your handguns with the state within 60 days. The information and a link to the required form is on the California AG's site, here.

Ken

I suspect that he sees so many dumb questions that he's just continually simmering about them. I can understand it; I used to do that... and still do when I'm overdue for a vacation.

Nowadays, I just try to let it roll off. I'm much happier when I'm not focusing on how stupid the questions I get are! [grin]

I suspect that he sees so many dumb questions that he's just continually simmering about them. I can understand it; I used to do that... and still do when I'm overdue for a vacation.

Nowadays, I just try to let it roll off. I'm much happier when I'm not focusing on how stupid the questions I get are! [grin]

the ONLY stupid questions are the ones that are not asked. or at least that what I was taught. CA and especially Ma gun laws are written in such a way so no one can really understand them

Last edited:
the ONLY stupid questions are the ones that are not asked. or at least that what I was taught. CA and especially Ma gun laws are written in such a way so no one can really understand them
Good point about "stupid" questions. Let me rephrase that to "easily answered questions with the answer readily available to anyone who does a search".

And as for how the laws are written... my English teachers would flunk me for every one of those laws if I'd ever had the nerve to submit such horridly-written prose. And deservedly so. And when our legistraitors modify they laws they only make it worse by adding in new sentences and not re-writing the whole thing to make them readable by the average citizen.

Ya,you also have to take in account a whole bunch of people are really new to the internet and discussion boards in general.I'm sure some people are overjoyed with he fact they actually got a post to appear,much less figure out searching for the answers.

I like Scrivener,he is like me,only a lot smarter.[smile]

Hell,I'm looking at a SIG P229 carry model and I was thinking of making a post asking if it was "legal" yet here in MA,but I was sure LenS would swoop out of the sky,chastise me,lock the post, add a bunch of exclamation points and tell me to search for the answers myself.[wink]

This forum is intimidating.

Last edited:
Ya,you also have to take in account a whole bunch of people are really new to the internet and discussion boards in general.I'm sure some people are overjoyed with the fact they actually got a post to appear,much less figure out searching for the answers.[smile]

Anyone with sufficient skill to start a new thread has MORE than enough skill to run a simple query. How difficult is typing a word in the "Google" block and hitting "Enter?" [rolleyes]

As is obvious - and sometimes even stated - many of these people are just too lazy to look and expect the world to hand them merely because they want it to. For such, a reality check is long overdue.

Anyone with sufficient skill to start a new thread has MORE than enough skill to run a simple query. How difficult is typing a word in the "Google" block and hitting "Enter?" [rolleyes]

As is obvious - and sometimes even stated - many of these people are just too lazy to look and expect the world to hand them merely because they want it to. For such, a reality check is long overdue.

What did these people do before Al Gore provided them with the internet for easy research?

Hell,I'm looking at a SIG P229 carry model and I was thinking of making a post asking if it was "legal" yet here in MA,but I was sure LenS would swoop out of the sky,chastise me,lock the post, add a bunch of exclamation points and tell me to search for the answers myself.[wink]

This forum is intimidating.

What ever gave you that idea??[laugh2] [rofl]

Very much like those addicted to sarcastic comments. They remained irritating, but were only annoying to those in their immediate proximity. Now they, too are exponentially a nuisance. [shocked]

Ken

Very much like those addicted to sarcastic comments. They remained irritating, but were only annoying to those in their immediate proximity. Now they, too are exponentially a nuisance.

Especially when advertising their test scores.......

They remain a source of both information and amusement, nonetheless. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom