Moving out of MA (to FL) - Timing & Law

Moved to FL in 2016 and had a FL non-resident license. Sent a letter to the town I left and one to the MA state commission. When in FL, all you have to do is log into the firearms license web site and change your address to keep the state informed of your address. My MA license will expire at the end of this year and I will just let it go. If I do a check of a gun transfer at the MA web site, it says my license is still valid in MA. The only difference is the address, it's FL. I did receive a bump stock letter, addressed to me in FL when that law went into affect. Hope this helps.

I put guns and ammo under the suv rear floor compartment and piled everything else on top when we made the move, guns stayed with me.
Thank you!
I’ll follow your steps, as it’s consistent with other prudent advice I received so far.
Thank you ALL!!!

Thanks Mike!
FOPA should cover me for transport there. Right?
I was thinking of getting a non-res FL license until fully settled, but you say it’s not even needed.

Thanks again,
- G
Drive OUT through Scranton PA. 84-81. Better drive. Avoids the most amount of danger zones you can.

Consider selling anything in MA which is non roster on the forum here. You will most likely give a fellow nes guy or gal a deal, keep a hard to find yummy in MA.

I sold two pistols when I escaped for about what it would cost me to replace them out of state (one was $250 below MA prices).

Don't forget to send your letter the week you get a FL drivers license. (You have 7-10 days to get a FL DL after moving.) And 30 days to mail you letter to the chief of police where you were issued, the COP where you LIVED last in MA and the PerpBoarsOfTrackers. (Certified)

I wouldn't send the letter until everything is out of MA. So don't like put it in storage up there for a while. Even ammo. Move it all down with You. Get to FL, switch DLs and car registrations and THEN send the required three pieces of certified mail to the Commonwealth and COPs.

You don't surrender it. Keep the piece of plastic in your wallet forever. There is a very remote chance it could get you our of a bind as holding the expires but non revoked LTC turns Felonies magically into Civil Matters. (Theo-probably).

MA is backwards from the rest of the world for insurance. You don't do the stupid RMV1 form shit. But you do need insurance. I'd suggest USAA. The process online is effortless. I have LM now, but when we move to FLA next summer, I will be switching to USAA car insurance as Liberty Mutual is trying to leave Florida as a company.

Congrats on getting our of the CommieHealth.

I changed my mind and have decided to comply (didn't realize the pitfalls of non-notification)...can anyone confirm that THIS is the correct form for an out of state move too? Seems like it's more geared toward in-state moves, but could just be a 'catch-all' I suppose?

I'm going to wait until Friday to mail it out because I don't want to get hemmed up on my way out the door on Sunday!

Attachments

• Change of Address Notification - rev 08.20.13.pdf
    173.4 KB · Views: 6
There is no required form. You can use the form from the state web site if you wish, but the statute doesn’t require you to use a form provided by the state. You could just write a brief letter instead with old address, new address, name, and your LTC number.

You need to send a change of address by certified mail to the chief of the issuing department and to the head of the Firearms Records Bureau. Note that the statute requires that the notification be sent by certified mail — Fed Ex or regular mail would not be in compliance with the text of the statute.

If you were moving to a different town within MA, you would have to send a change of address to the chief in your new town as well. Since you are moving out of state that part doesn’t apply.

My Florida carry permit took 21 days from the moment I put it
in the mailbox to the moment it arrived at my house.

Now I have another situation that could use some collective wisdom...

Fully moved to FL 2 weeks ago, got my FL CCW ahead of the move. Just sent out my “Change of Address” notice; all is good!
My wife’s MA LTC is somewhere in a box in storage and she doesn’t remember the number that’s needed for “Change of Address” form.
Is there a way to retrieve her LTC number? Online or call?

Thank you!
- Gusto

Now I have another situation that could use some collective wisdom...

Fully moved to FL 2 weeks ago, got my FL CCW ahead of the move. Just sent out my “Change of Address” notice; all is good!
My wife’s MA LTC is somewhere in a box in storage and she doesn’t remember the number that’s needed for “Change of Address” form.
Is there a way to retrieve her LTC number? Online or call?

Thank you!
- Gusto

Call your issuing PD? They've certainly got it logged someplace; it's just a matter of lucking into a time when the guy who knows where the log is has a free few minutes to get down to where it's kept, plus doesn't feel like being an a-hole.

Call your issuing PD? They've certainly got it logged someplace; it's just a matter of lucking into a time when the guy who knows where the log is has a free few minutes to get down to where it's kept, plus doesn't feel like being an a-hole.
Thank you!
I’ll give it a try; moved out of green town, so there’s hope... ;)

Back
Top Bottom