Moving to MA in about a year from FL

Hey everyone! Been lurking for a while, just created an account.

Moving to MA in about a year, thinking I might grab some firearms that I won't have access to again. I already grabbed a glock 19, but was thinking about building out an AR with a pre-ban lower. When you look up the phrase "pre-ban" of course you only find the lowers with a high cost. I can't imagine all AR-15 lowers in Florida are that expensive if made before the AWB. Any ideas on how to find one for a reasonable cost?

Also, anything else you recommend grabbing while I still live here?

(PS. New to this site, i searched for list of rules before posting but couldn't find anything. My bad if I'm breaking any rules by asking.)

Figure out how to not move here, it's likely about to get demonstrably worse for people afraid of lawrs. Outside of that the only thing not easily obtainable here are off list revo

Don’t , just don’t.
I’m moving to Afghanistan because, like you, I make terrible life choices.

All ball busting aside. This state is not friendly to firearms or their lawful owners. Be forwarned.
Hahaha. Yeah. Honestly, I love Massachusetts. Lived there before, happy to come back. Except for the gun laws (and cost of living). Putting a 10 round mag in the glock 19 already feels wrong.

Hahaha. Yeah. Honestly, I love Massachusetts. Lived there before, happy to come back. Except for the gun laws (and cost of living). Putting a 10 round mag in the glock 19 already feels wrong.
The gun laws should be the least of your concern. Keep your eyes peeled this state is about to become festooned with illegals. There are already lily white suburbs that now feature CVSes with locked up toilet paper, cop patrols and all the attendant problems. And this is just the tip of the shit-berg. The blue dog dems that used to run this state and keep that shit secretly under wraps are all dying off, giving way to radicals and other communist shitbirds who are basically perpetually annoyed that mass isn't as communist as NJ, NY, CT etc.

Because Florida might want him in Mass...
He lived here before and he likes it other than cost of living and gun laws

Cost of living - he doesn't state it's the taxes, massive welfare giveaways, and crushing regulation that causes the prices to skyrocket. No it's just how those things negatively effect him that he doesn't like.

Guns - buys a G19 and, maybe, a preban AR. A gun person if forced to move to Mass would already have most of those commodity guns in the safe so they would be looking to bring in some of the harder to get, less common guns.

Mass doesn't really offer much natural beauty or weather that you can't find elsewhere with much less of the government boot on your throat. The only thing Mass does offer is deep blue legislative paradise. Yes, job market is pretty decent but with differences in cost of living that's not a key reason to choose to move to Mass.
In the end, the attraction to Mass comes down to a well oiled boot on the neck of those living there for those that are into that type of governance.

Because Florida might want him in Mass...
He lived here before and he likes it other than cost of living and gun laws

Cost of living - he doesn't state it's the taxes, massive welfare giveaways, and crushing regulation that causes the prices to skyrocket. No it's just how those things negatively effect him that he doesn't like.

Guns - buys a G19 and, maybe, a preban AR. A gun person if forced to move to Mass would already have most of those commodity guns in the safe so they would be looking to bring in some of the harder to get, less common guns.

Mass doesn't really offer much natural beauty or weather that you can't find elsewhere with much less of the government boot on your throat. The only thing Mass does offer is deep blue legislative paradise. Yes, job market is pretty decent but with differences in cost of living that's not a key reason to choose to move to Mass.
In the end, the attraction to Mass comes down to a well oiled boot on the neck of those living there for those that are into that type of governance.
I respect the opinion!

To counter: Massachusetts has a fantastic job market, the it is one of the safest places to live, actually has a working public transit system for eastern MA, has Cape Cod, has the best best selection of food, great schools both public and private, all for pretty much the same price as Florida.

Also, wages are low while cost of living is still high! At least you guys get somewhat compensated to live in expensive Massachusetts! Down here, they pay you dogshit and still charge insane prices.

Cost of living in Florida is damn close to Massachusetts, while having nothing of the things I mentioned above. Instead we have gang violence, high cost of living, lower wages, unbearable heat, traffic to match Boston,(with no transit) and significantly MORE illegal immigrants than Massachusetts does.

I mean just a few months ago some kids shot up a Walmart trying to kill someone and hit like 6 innocent people in the process like a mile away from my house. People get shot on the highway in road rage incidents all the time. 1/5 drivers here have no car insurance, which means it’s the highest auto insurance premiums in the country. Don’t even mention the home insurance.

Also, the police don’t even try to catch the bad guys around here. Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate how “free” Florida is in some respects, but I can’t raise my kid here.

If you have to come up from FL for work in MA, consider renting in southern NH and commute..

A New Hampshire border town will have the same climate and real estate/rental should cost about the same. If you work in MA, though, you'll still pay their income tax plus pay higher NH property taxes if you buy.

Besides the Massachusetts hate, I’ve been seriously interested in a 10/22, a good hunting rifle & shotgun, but I can buy those anytime, anywhere.

Been looking at AR’s that might be easier to make State-compliant, as I think it will be more cost effective to do it now rather than when I actually move.

Also, it will be very sad to lose access entirely to PSA when I’m there.

I respect the opinion!

To counter: Massachusetts has a fantastic job market, the it is one of the safest places to live, actually has a working public transit system for eastern MA, has Cape Cod, has the best best selection of food, great schools both public and private, all for pretty much the same price as Florida.

Also, wages are low while cost of living is still high! At least you guys get somewhat compensated to live in expensive Massachusetts! Down here, they pay you dogshit and still charge insane prices.

Cost of living in Florida is damn close to Massachusetts, while having nothing of the things I mentioned above. Instead we have gang violence, high cost of living, lower wages, unbearable heat, traffic to match Boston,(with no transit) and significantly MORE illegal immigrants than Massachusetts does.

I mean just a few months ago some kids shot up a Walmart trying to kill someone and hit like 6 innocent people in the process like a mile away from my house. People get shot on the highway in road rage incidents all the time. 1/5 drivers here have no car insurance, which means it’s the highest auto insurance premiums in the country. Don’t even mention the home insurance.

Also, the police don’t even try to catch the bad guys around here. Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate how “free” Florida is in some respects, but I can’t raise my kid here.
Florida is not nearly as free as New Hampshire and has more off limits places to licensed concealed carriers then Massachusetts. My sister lives in Jupiter. She likes the beach but has had enough and is coming home to New Hampshire where she belongs. Rye actually and she can sell her house and make an even exchange for a NH house that is larger because it has a basement. She told me everything there is licensed permitted and zoned. Far more restrictive than anything I’ve ever heard about mass. As others have said, try NH

Florida is not nearly as free as New Hampshire and has more off limits places to licensed concealed carriers then Massachusetts. My sister lives in Jupiter. She likes the beach but has had enough and is coming home to New Hampshire where she belongs. Rye actually and she can sell her house and make an even exchange for a NH house that is larger because it has a basement. She told me everything there is licensed permitted and zoned. Far more restrictive than anything I’ve ever heard about mass. As others have said, try NH
I’m about an hour away from Jupiter. It is wild. It seems to really be a county to county problem. Broward, Dade, and palm beach county’s are still scarred from the 80’s, I think. 5 day waiting period for firearms without LTC where I’m at.

I wish I could do NH. Wife is setting up a practice in Boston proper, and my job will be close to the city as well. The traffic will already be horrible, let alone coming from MA

It sounds like you've made your mind up about Massachusetts. I don't even like visiting anymore, but to each their own. As others have said. Buy whatever guns you enjoy. A glock 19 is rather boring in the grand scheme of things...pick up a Cabot 1911 or a Freedom Arms revolver.

Why would you want to come to this oppressive state when so many are trying to leave?
well, if you are that hellbent on coming here and living behind enemy lines, at least GO GREEN. Make it official.......
If I had a full choice, I’d go New Hampshire. But due to family in the south shore, and my wife’s career, I’ll need to be closer to Boston than I’d like.

At least you will get 2 more republican voters when we get there! Also, what’s go green mean? Still new here

I respect the opinion!

This is rapidly changing - there is enough suburban population to offset the inner city shitholes.
If you think our public transit is working - that says enough.

Food - yeah, the food used to be great before covid. Now most restaurants just don't have the quality or service to make going out to eat an enjoyable experience. Small ethnic bodegas serving Caribbean/Hispanic cuisine are still great but for the most part they put you in the not safe category

So you are living in a Florida Big Dump City and comparing that to Boston? What part of metro Boston are you talking about?
White affluent towns that are safe
Or Ethnic/immigrant areas that are relatively cheap

You can't have both.

Just because you don't see it in the headline news here doesn't mean the same damn things aren't going on in Mass - you see the local crime because it's local

If you think the police don't do anything down there, you have something coming if you move here.
Sheriffs in Florida tell homeowners that punching a criminals ticket is their preferred option to reduce their workload and costs
Here if you do anything to defend yourself you are considered worse than the criminal.

As far as schools, Mass is running on their reputation. Most public schools simply suck now unless you are in an affluent small town. And that situation is only going to get worse with the influx of "migrants" that will crush the budgets of every school district they end up in.

MA housing market is completely bonkers. We escaped back in 2008. No way we could afford to by the house we sold back then. There is nothing within a 1 hour commute to work or 1 hour drive to Striper fishing that is under $600K that doesn't need $200K in repairs or updates.

Back
Top Bottom