Moving to MA - What would you buy?

Search function didn't land a similar thread, so here is the question:

If you were moving to MA from a free state, what would be on your priority buy list before the moving trucks came?

(Please no "don't move here" type replies, the question assumes a MA move in)

This a great question and one I have thought about many times. While you can find almost anything here, for the right price, there are rare items that will never be on the list. Couple interesting ones:
Coonan
Rhino

People may say a certain Glock but honestly you can find any Glock you want. Any semi auto can be transferred in as a frame only and then joined up with the slide, so revolvers would be high on my loist.

Forget about anything that is characterized by Mass as an assault weapon. Unless they are preban you are in questionable legal territory.

Good inputs so far. You guys would go nuts at a real gun show (in a free state)... One man's junk...

I was thinking about a new Gen 5 Glock 26. I have done the 10 round limit deal in a M9 while in CA and don't care for the waisted capacity, size, and weight.

I didn't know if there were any 1911s or revolvers that were hard to find...

Thanks

Forget about the Glock. Not getting the premium they used to get. As indicated above, get yourself a bunch of AKs before you move. They might cost you $400-$700, but you can get close to $2K for a good one here now.

Search function didn't land a similar thread, so here is the question:

If you were moving to MA from a free state, what would be on your priority buy list before the moving trucks came?

(Please no "don't move here" type replies, the question assumes a MA move in)

G19 prebans - can sometimes be found for $15 outside MA and are worth 5-6 times that inside.

To me just buy what you want, don't buy just cause it's hard to find here, what's the point in that? It's not like you can resell it here for that much money, since a lot of people here already know how to buy off-list stuff. It's also questionable to buy a lot of stuff and resell it here - ignore the MA AG but don't mess with the Feds.

Definitely research what isn't ILLEGAL but can't easily be bought here that you might ever have an interest in owning.

Glock. XD (or didn't those make the list?). That funky "square cylinder" revolver. Chiappa Rhino.

upload_2018-10-18_8-46-19.jpeg

I've wanted one of those for a while.

Remember you don't have to FA-10 firearms that you move into the state with.
True, and there is some comfort knowing that what you bring in isn't in MA's database. But remember, they should arrive with you on "moving day". If you go back to get them a day later, technically you have to tell the state about them (FA-10).

G19 prebans - can sometimes be found for $15 outside MA and are worth 5-6 times that inside.

To me just buy what you want, don't buy just cause it's hard to find here, what's the point in that? It's not like you can resell it here for that much money, since a lot of people here already know how to buy off-list stuff. It's also questionable to buy a lot of stuff and resell it here - ignore the MA AG but don't mess with the Feds.

To be clear, I am not looking to flip or circumvent the law. While I don't consider myself a "Fudd" (hadn't hear that term until this forum, I think it is a non-free state thing), I am a utility focused person with a minimalist approach. I have too many other hobbies to be a collector and have stuff collecting dust and rust.

I was interested in availability of Glocks, Springfields, M&P 2.0s with 10 round magazines. The XD-s and Shield work if the above aren't available.

Try to predict what you might want in 5 years.
I regret not getting an evil black rifle earlier and now they are stupid-expensive and opinions vary as to how legal the pre-Healy ones are to transfer, or if they will stay legal.

Keep in mind you can't have "commerce" in mind. Then you're an FFL (or should be).

But if you're stuck moving here and realize ahead of time you'll be limited in what you can acquire once you ARE here, think ahead and buy it before you come here.

Nothing says you can't change your mind and later sell off a Glock or two, but don't bring in 10 Glocks and plan to sell 9 of them, or you won't have to worry about bed and board for around 10 years.

OTOH, nothing says you can't own 100 pre ban magazines and sell THOSE when you get here.

To be clear, I am not looking to flip or circumvent the law. While I don't consider myself a "Fudd" (hadn't hear that term until this forum, I think it is a non-free state thing), I am a utility focused person with a minimalist approach. I have too many other hobbies to be a collector and have stuff collecting dust and rust.

I was interested in availability of Glocks, Springfields, M&P 2.0s with 10 round magazines. The XD-s and Shield work if the above aren't available.

If I personally had the ability to pick up items to bring to MA from a free state, I'd go:
  • P365 (heard chatter that Sig has little interest on jumping through compliance hoops in MA).
  • Glock 26/19/17 (although, P80 kits are kind of making this a moot point)
  • XDS Mod 2.0 (still haven't seen one in the in the flesh yet)
  • MP5 (they are absurdly expensive here)
  • Preban mags
Most polymer and steel Springfields, M&P 2.0's, gen 1 XD's and Shields are available everywhere here, new and used, with 10- mags.

So for the OP in case he asks, what about him bringing in the post ban mags that his firearms came with or any other post ban mags he has.

I would buy my way out of moving here.

That said a pile of glocks, kimbers, colts and maybe a few dozen derringers . Everyone I know wants a pocket cannon.

True, and there is some comfort knowing that what you bring in isn't in MA's database. But remember, they should arrive with you on "moving day". If you go back to get them a day later, technically you have to tell the state about them (FA-10).

That’d be like putting your NH purchases on your income tax.

If I personally had the ability to pick up items to bring to MA from a free state, I'd go:
  • P365 (heard chatter that Sig has little interest on jumping through compliance hoops in MA).
  • Glock 26/19/17 (although, P80 kits are kind of making this a moot point)
  • XDS Mod 2.0 (still haven't seen one in the in the flesh yet)
  • MP5 (they are absurdly expensive here)
  • Preban mags
Most polymer and steel Springfields, M&P 2.0's, gen 1 XD's and Shields are available everywhere here, new and used, with 10- mags.

Not sure what’s the difference buying an MP5 and bringing it in vs buying one online and transferring it in? $25?

Keep in mind you can't have "commerce" in mind. Then you're an FFL (or should be).

But if you're stuck moving here and realize ahead of time you'll be limited in what you can acquire once you ARE here, think ahead and buy it before you come here.

Nothing says you can't change your mind and later sell off a Glock or two, but don't bring in 10 Glocks and plan to sell 9 of them, or you won't have to worry about bed and board for around 10 years.

OTOH, nothing says you can't own 100 pre ban magazines and sell THOSE when you get here.

Order 100 of these. If 25% are prebans you’ll score.

GLOCK Model 19 15rd 9mm Magazine Used

Not sure what’s the difference buying an MP5 and bringing it in vs buying one online and transferring it in? $25?

I don't personally have much experience with that end, but I was assuming that OP has the ability to skip FFL transfer if he hasn't moved already. Sure, not much money for the transfer, but just one less hassle of moving if you can just bring with you. Any MP5 I've come across that is already in state is typically priced like it is a it's gilded in gold and diamonds. I've never looked them up online myself, so maybe that's something I should start pricing out. That's my dream gun.

Back
Top Bottom