• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MOVING to Massachusetts? Read Here First!

Mod: If you like this one, please sticky it. Seems that we get people moving to MA, despite all the warnings, every week.

So, for some reason you've decided to move to Massachusetts. As you may find on a search, this is highly discouraged by many people living here or people who have escaped this state. However, you've decided that you need to move here anyway for work, school, or whatever. You're wondering what you need to do to be able to own firearms in MA, what guns you can and can't bring, etc. Here's the rundown.

Moving with firearms.

This will come as a shock to many, but you must have a license to own any firearms, ammunition (including components) and large capacity magazines. In MA, there is the FID, which is shall-issue but only allows you to own low-capacity rifles and shotguns, and the LTC-B and A. Forget the B, it's useless. Go for the A, as it costs the same as the two other licenses and lets you own everything MA legal (the others don't) except machine guns, plus allows concealed carry if unrestricted.. So, getting one is your first priority on moving.

You can bring your firearms with you when you move, and this may be desirable as this is the only way you can get your firearms into the state without having to file registration forms on them once they're here. Bring them with you, immediately lock them up on arriving, and then start the LTC process. You have 60 days to apply for your license from the time you move in with firearms, but you want to do it as fast as possible so you can receive it within that 60 days.

As soon as you arrive, go to the RMV, get your car registration and license switched, and send in a voter registration, set up utilities and update your bank statements to your MA address. This should be enough to prove residency so you can start the application process with your town's PD.

If you choose to leave your firearms and bring them later, you will need to file an FA-10 form with the Criminal History Systems Board for each firearm brought in later (plus any firearms you buy in MA). These forms can be obtained from your local PD.

Most people will argue that you should move to a "Green" town, or one that is known to issue unrestricted licenses to carry. This is a good idea.

Also, if you have any criminal record or the like and are unsure if it will affect your suitability for a license (Massachusetts is shall issue on FIDs for low-capacity long guns and shotguns, but "may issue" based on suitability for licenses to carry (large capacity long guns and all handguns), make sure to consult with a qualified attorney who is expert on firearms matters. Forum members Cross-X, jcohen, and Scrivener (who is on vacation) are some of the best firearms lawyers in the state.

What Can I Bring?

There are a few classes of firearms that are not allowed in Massachuetts. So called "assault weapons," which have the same definition as under the old, expired Federal Assault Weapons Ban, cannot be brought in unless they were in AW configuration before 9/13/1994.

Thus, using an AR-15 as an example, your rifle has to have been a preban receiver with bayonet lug, flash hider, folding/collapsible stock, grenade launcher, or a threaded muzzle, etc made before that date to be legal in MA. If it was manufactured after that date, you'll have to cut off the bayonet lug, permanently pin any collapsible stock, and remove the flash hider and threads or permanently cover the threads with a muzzle brake. This also goes for any other rifles, such as post-ban AKs, which may have these features.

Basically, for a rifle with a detachable magazine or fixed magazine holding over ten rounds, (other than a fixed, tubular magazine .22 rifle), you can have one of the following: Pistol grip, flash suppressor, threaded muzzle or flash suppressor, collapsible/folding stock, bayonet lug, grenade launcher.

Also, you can't bring post-ban "assault pistols" that weigh over 50 ounces. Thus, without massive surgery, AR pistols and the like are out.

Certain classes of semiautomatic shotguns are also covered.

Violation of the above is a felony.

Other than that: Boston has a ban on the FN 5.7 pistol, SW500 revolver, Barrett .50BMG, and its own assault weapons ban that is more restrictive in certain ways (NO AR-15s, FALs, AKs, SKSs, period), as well as a ban on possessing any long gun magazines holding over ten rounds or shotgun mags holding more than 6 shells. This is a "home rule" regulation that only applies to residents of Boston, according to a vacationing attorney.

That's pretty easy to comply with. However, possession of large capacity magazines made after 9/13/1994 is a straight felony. There are ways to tell with some mags, others may be more difficult to tell. Do a search and you'll come up with some hits on how to identify some mags as pre-ban. If you have any newer mags, you'll have to sell them before you come, or leave them with someone, and buy ten rounders.

Now, you'll read some stuff about MA compliance. For guns you're bringing in, other than the above notations for "assault pistols", this does not affect what you can bring. MA compliance applies only to handguns sold to you by a Massachusetts FFL dealer, not to guns you already own and are bringing in, nor to guns you may purchase privately once you arrive in MA. For more information, do a search, this is covered on almost a daily basis. Basically, don't worry about it, you can bring your handguns in (although you may not bring any post-9/13/1994 magazines as noted above.

What to do once I get here?

Make sure you're an NRA member and a member of the Massachusetts GOAL (Gun Owners Action League). Make no mistake, the Massachusetts government has very little respect for your gun rights, with the exceptions of a minority of state reps and senators. Everyone needs to contribute.

Join a gun club. Some PDs will require you to join one anyway, but there are a LOT of very nice clubs in MA. You'll meet some great people.

Become a subscribing NES "Green" member. You'll get a lot of discounts, opportunities at group buys, NES shoots, and will help support this site.

Most of all, use the "search" function to help find answers to your specific questions. NOTE: The search function requires the query to contain at least four letters. Remember that all advice given here on the forum is subject to your own verification, and that with the exception of a few, none of us are lawyers and will not be held responsible if you don't understand something correctly. If you still have questions, contact a qualified attorney.

I have a scenario that I don't think is covered in this explanation. I bought a .22 rifle in the 80's in NY state. I was in the Air Force for 24 years and just took the rifle with us as we moved around the country. In 2001 my father gave me his .22 revolver before he died. I moved to Mass that year, I never registered either weapon as I did not have an LTC or FID. We just locked both of them up and never used them. This past summer we got our LTC's and want to register these weapons. Do we just complete the FA-10 and submit it?

I have a scenario that I don't think is covered in this explanation. I bought a .22 rifle in the 80's in NY state. I was in the Air Force for 24 years and just took the rifle with us as we moved around the country. In 2001 my father gave me his .22 revolver before he died. I moved to Mass that year, I never registered either weapon as I did not have an LTC or FID. We just locked both of them up and never used them. This past summer we got our LTC's and want to register these weapons. Do we just complete the FA-10 and submit it?

You could register them but it’s not required by law so personally I wouldn’t. I did register the Sig I brought in cause I thought it was required.

I’m sure Mass will soon have a red flag confiscation law so why make it easy for the gun grabbers.

Why would you register them? You own them, you owned them previously.

Why would you register them? You own them, you owned them previously.
I guess I thought registration was required by law. We've heard news reports about individuals being arrested for having unregistered firearms. Sounds like we don't have anything to worry about.
thanks

I guess I thought registration was required by law. We've heard news reports about individuals being arrested for having unregistered firearms. Sounds like we don't have anything to worry about.
thanks

Thanks for changing the word weapon to firearm. I thought you had a real badass tacticool 22 rifle after reading your OP.

thanks
YES, legally everything has to be registered UNLESS you brought the guns in with you when you moved to Mass! That's what the law says and includes creating a gun from an 80% or a block of aluminum/plastic! What people do is up to them.

YES, legally everything has to be registered UNLESS you brought the guns in with you when you moved to Mass! That's what the law says and includes creating a gun from an 80% or a block of aluminum/plastic! What people do is up to them.

Uh Len? From his original post, (bolding added): "I was in the Air Force for 24 years and just took the rifle with us as we moved around the country. In 2001 my father gave me his .22 revolver before he died. I moved to Mass that year, I never registered either weapon"

The way I read that, he exactly meets that "UNLESS" clause you reference which means that he does NOT have to register either firearm.

Uh Len? From his original post, (bolding added): "I was in the Air Force for 24 years and just took the rifle with us as we moved around the country. In 2001 my father gave me his .22 revolver before he died. I moved to Mass that year, I never registered either weapon"

The way I read that, he exactly meets that "UNLESS" clause you reference which means that he does NOT have to register either firearm.

Thanks for all the feedback, sure glad I didn't take them to a gun buy back where they probably would have been destroyed.

IANAL but I believe you are correct.

Thanks for all the feedback, sure glad I didn't take them to a gun buy back where they probably would have been destroyed.
Buy-backs are all about destruction of private property that is turned in. That is the fate that all such turn-in guns are supposed to meet.

I have a similar situation listed above. When I first purchased my firearm (almost 10 years ago) I was living it Maine. I moved to Massachusetts about 4 years ago, but I have left it at my parents house (still in Maine) since then. I'm trying to understand everything that I need to do to bring it "home".

Seems like the first thing would be to take a firearms safety course.

I honestly have no idea where to start, but I want to make sure I get everything in order. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a similar situation listed above. When I first purchased my firearm (almost 10 years ago) I was living it Maine. I moved to Massachusetts about 4 years ago, but I have left it at my parents house (still in Maine) since then. I'm trying to understand everything that I need to do to bring it "home".

Seems like the first thing would be to take a firearms safety course.

I honestly have no idea where to start, but I want to make sure I get everything in order. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, first take the MSP Certified BFS course, then fill out the form (online at FRB website) and take a copy of the certificate (only the MSP BFS Cert, not an NRA cert), your filled out form (keep a copy yourself) and a check for $100 to the PD. Do what they tell you and then wait several months. Once you have the LTC in-hand, drive to Maine, retrieve your guns, bring them home and fill out eFA-10s for each one (same website as the LTC application), enjoy.

Just leave any post-9/13/1994 large-capacity mags in Maine (they are felonies in Mass) and if you have any ARs/AKs/etc. make sure that they are "massafied" by a gunsmith in Maine before bringing them into MA (unless they were built on/before 9/13/1994).

Moving back to Mass. Looking for clarification on pistols. Bringing in my existing pistols, do they need to meet a safety or weight on trigger pull guideline, or because I already own them does it not matter as long as I don’t exceed magazine capacity of 10?

Moving back to Mass. Looking for clarification on pistols. Bringing in my existing pistols, do they need to meet a safety or weight on trigger pull guideline, or because I already own them does it not matter as long as I don’t exceed magazine capacity of 10?

Correct. The limitations are on what FFL's can sell you not what you can own. The mags must be pre 94 or 10 rd capacity.

Thank you. Last question, my FN 5.7 is fine to bring in? I read somewhere that it’s banned in Boston?

AFAIK Boston has a ban on AW which would be considered legal elsewhere in Ma but nothing more unless you consider they have an ordinance about knives over 2.5 inches long.

The FN 5.7 I don't believe has any preban magazines at all. 10 rd only

If I am moving from one town where my unrestricted LTC was issued to another town where they do not issue unrestricted LTCs (within Boston city limits) do I notify the town's PD? Do I need a new LTC?

If I am moving from one town where my unrestricted LTC was issued to another town where they do not issue unrestricted LTCs (within Boston city limits) do I notify the town's PD? Do I need a new LTC?

I'm not a lawyer, not a Mass gun law expert - but quick google got me this from the Mass Gov site:

Massachusetts General Law Chapter 140, sections 129B and 131 state: A cardholder shall notify the licensing authority that issued such firearms license, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction such cardholder moves, and the commissioner of the Department of Criminal Justice Information Services of any change of address within 30 days of its occurrence. Failure to notify any of these entities shall be cause for revocation or suspension of the license.

Entire Document: https://www.mass.gov/doc/change-of-address-notification/download

Page that got me to that form: Change of Address Notification | Mass.gov

Hey guys, so I'll be moving to MA in about a month for my job. I have an AR15 and a Glock19 lol, so if I understand this correctly since I don't have a preban lower receiver if I bring my AR15 over I'll need to pin the stock and pin and weld the muzzle break correct? I have a regular magazine release which is okay? BUT I will not be able to bring my post ban high cap magazines and can only use post ban 10 rounders right?

Now in terms of the Glock19, I know that its in the roster but FFLs in the state wont sell to you. How does that apply to me since I already have it?

Also my company is paying for my move, is it better to have the firearms travel with me on the plane or leave it locked up in storage where the moving company is transporting it to MA?

I'll be starting my LTC-A application as soon as I land on MA to get the ball rolling.

Hey guys, so I'll be moving to MA in about a month for my job. I have an AR15 and a Glock19 lol, so if I understand this correctly since I don't have a preban lower receiver if I bring my AR15 over I'll need to pin the stock and pin and weld the muzzle break correct? I have a regular magazine release which is okay? BUT I will not be able to bring my post ban high cap magazines and can only use post ban 10 rounders right?

Now in terms of the Glock19, I know that its in the roster but FFLs in the state wont sell to you. How does that apply to me since I already have it?

Also my company is paying for my move, is it better to have the firearms travel with me on the plane or leave it locked up in storage where the moving company is transporting it to MA?

I'll be starting my LTC-A application as soon as I land on MA to get the ball rolling.
Correct on the AR. Ignore the list. It means nothing to you. The G19 is fine but no post 94 mags over 10 rounds so leave the 15s behind and get 10rders or prebans

The list/roster has no impact on what you can legally own, just what an FFL can transfer to you. No issue owning a Glock 19 (of any gen) in MA, with an LTC.

Until Healey's illegal "reinterpetation" of a decades old law gets tossed, Don't tell anyone about the rifle. Supposedly registration is required. But they won't allow registering anything AR class.
As for transpo, flying into Boston with checked firearms is extremely risky. Fly into Manchester NH and rent a car to drive south. Boston might not be as evil as NY yet. But better to be safe than risk it.

I made the move here from TN about 10 years ago. The laws are a PITA but there are tons of clubs and competitions. Be prepared to burn through a lot more ammo LOL.

You are correct regarding your AR and mags. If you are able to find preban mags now, I suggest that you stock up.

No issues with the Glock, bring it. Buy more if you like. Just be sure that mags are 10 round or less or are preban.

Movers typically won't transport firearms, especially the commercial ones hired for relocation. I brought mine in a vehicle.

Once they are at your new home, keep them in the safe until you have your LTC.

Until Healey's illegal "reinterpetation" of a decades old law gets tossed, Don't tell anyone about the rifle. Supposedly registration is required. But they won't allow registering anything AR class.
As for transpo, flying into Boston with checked firearms is extremely risky. Fly into Manchester NH and rent a car to drive south. Boston might not be as evil as NY yet. But better to be safe than risk it.
Wow. The misinformation here is staggering.

Yes you can register. If you bring the gun in with you it is not required. If you bring it after you move registration is required. There are no magical blocks on registering ARs. Healey press conferences are not law and have no impact on the eFA10 system. There are no monsters under your bed.

It is not legal for you to posses/transport without a license but if you can teleport it to your new house locked up that would be legal.

Logan does not GAF about firearms. I have brought luggage with firearms into and out of Logan more times than I can count and NEVER shown an LTC and never had my bags questioned when returning. I am not advocating bringing guns in via method other than teleportation, but Logan is very low risk.

Others covered all this but also you might want to buy stuff now that is harder to get in Mass, stuff not on the roster.

Some will tell you you have to register firearms you bring into the state, but others say you don't. I'd go with not registering them.

Registration is required of a MA resident acquiring a gun, but not of someone moving in.

But, the 60 day exemption does not apply to high cap weapons (See Comm. v. Cornelius), so you have to get those once you are a MA resident and have an LTC. Only way to legally move in with the high cap guns is to get a non-resident LTC, then apply for resident once you get to the DPRM.

Registration is required of a MA resident acquiring a gun, but not of someone moving in.

But, the 60 day exemption does not apply to high cap weapons (See Comm. v. Cornelius), so you have to get those once you are a MA resident and have an LTC. Only way to legally move in with the high cap guns is to get a non-resident LTC, then apply for resident once you get to the DPRM.
No, that is not the only legal way to move in with large capacity guns/mags. I teach the workarounds to this in my Mass Gun Law by and for Non-Lawyers Seminar!

Back
Top Bottom