• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MOVING to Massachusetts? Read Here First!

Yes, that will be an issue. You'll need to have your 'permanent' address for the application. You apply via your local PD- should be a thread or FAQ on that within the forum.

So I'm getting my upper receiver pin and welded with a muzzle brake on Thursday. I was thinking of ways to make it as compliant as possible while traveling from two states. In California you need a maglock for your lower receiver, in MA you don't need a maglock but need a pinned stock.

Can I just disassemble my lower receiver to save time and money? If so, can my disassembled lower be in the same case as my assembled upper receiver?

Disassembled will not protect you in MA against a felony prosecution.

So our flight goes from LAX to PHL(PA) then from PHL(PA) to BOS(MA)

I will have both AR-15 and G19 inside a pelican 1720 with 4 locks(non TSA). AR-15 will have a pinned stock, AR Maglock, and pin and welded comp. Each will have a couple of 10 rnd mags and no ammo.

As it stands that setup is both compliant in CA and MA. Once we arrive in MA that is going straight into storage and won't be opening until I get my LTC. Am I good to go? Do I need to worry about PHL(PA)?

I’ve just been offered a very interesting job in Massachusetts and am likely making the move from the free state of AZ to behind the Iron Curtain in the next 6 weeks. My family has had a home on Cape Cod for most of my life, so I know the area and what I’m getting into for the most part. I have all sorts of cool guns that I know are not Mass legal, and a few things like a preban AR and AK with provable preban mags that I believe are ok. Anything not mass legal and my class 3 stuff will be secured at my folks home in AZ, they are on my trust so it’s legal. Initially I will be moving into the house in Harwich and probably living there for at least a year before buying somewhere else, so I have a solid address in MA to use for my LTC application. My dad already has a non resident LTC-A for the house address, and his name is on the house but he will be in AZ when I move. If I’m reading this thread correctly and nothing has changed, it appears I can bring in most any pistols and preban rifles I own when I move into the state without registering anything, but have 60 days to get my LTC or I’ll have to move them to a buddy’s house who has a LTC. I have two friends with LTC-A that live on Cape.

I’ll have a bunch of specific questions, should I post them here or start a new thread?

So our flight goes from LAX to PHL(PA) then from PHL(PA) to BOS(MA)

I will have both AR-15 and G19 inside a pelican 1720 with 4 locks(non TSA). AR-15 will have a pinned stock, AR Maglock, and pin and welded comp. Each will have a couple of 10 rnd mags and no ammo.

As it stands that setup is both compliant in CA and MA. Once we arrive in MA that is going straight into storage and won't be opening until I get my LTC. Am I good to go? Do I need to worry about PHL(PA)?
You're good!

I’ve just been offered a very interesting job in Massachusetts and am likely making the move from the free state of AZ to behind the Iron Curtain in the next 6 weeks. My family has had a home on Cape Cod for most of my life, so I know the area and what I’m getting into for the most part. I have all sorts of cool guns that I know are not Mass legal, and a few things like a preban AR and AK with provable preban mags that I believe are ok. Anything not mass legal and my class 3 stuff will be secured at my folks home in AZ, they are on my trust so it’s legal. Initially I will be moving into the house in Harwich and probably living there for at least a year before buying somewhere else, so I have a solid address in MA to use for my LTC application. My dad already has a non resident LTC-A for the house address, and his name is on the house but he will be in AZ when I move. If I’m reading this thread correctly and nothing has changed, it appears I can bring in most any pistols and preban rifles I own when I move into the state without registering anything, but have 60 days to get my LTC or I’ll have to move them to a buddy’s house who has a LTC. I have two friends with LTC-A that live on Cape.

I’ll have a bunch of specific questions, should I post them here or start a new thread?
Please try reading the stickies in both the MA Gun Laws sub-forum and my training sub-forum. Most everything has been answered many times before here. Please do this before asking dozens of questions, which I'm sure that you will have.

On the brief side: If you do your part within the 60 days, just keep everything locked up until you get your LTC and you are GTG. No need to move them elsewhere and legally you can't touch them again until you get the LTC.

All handguns and long guns (non-NFA) that do not violate the MA AWB (and mag ban) or are mfd on/before 9/13/1994 are legal to possess in MA. Dealers suffer under additional prohibitions that mere mortals don't have to pay attention to.

I teach a 7 hr seminar on the intricacies of Mass Gun Laws (details in my sub-forum) but have no scheduled classes as of now until I secure a classroom location in NH (I'm moving out of MA after 47 yrs in the gulag).

On the brief side: If you do your part within the 60 days, just keep everything locked up until you get your LTC and you are GTG. No need to move them elsewhere and legally you can't touch them again until you get the LTC.
Len - Didn't Commonwealth v. Conelius establish that the 60 day exemption did not apply to high capacity firearms, rifles or shotguns or > 10 round mags?

".....
Question three: “Whether satisfaction of the firearm identification card exception set out in G.L. c. 140, § 129C( j) is a defense for a violation of G.L. c. 269, § 10( m)?”
The third question asks whether the new resident exemption contained in G.L. c. 140, § 129C(j ), provides a defense for violation of G.L. c. 269, § 10(m ), by knowingly having in one's possession, or knowingly having control of, in a vehicle, a “large capacity weapon or large capacity feeding device therefor,” without being in possession of a valid class A or class B license to carry firearms issued under authority of G.L. c. 140, §§ 131 or 131F.8
Section 10(m ) goes on to state that “[t]he possession of a valid firearm identification card issued under section 129B shall not be a defense for a violation of this subsection[.]” General Laws c. 140, § 129C, provides an exemption only from the firearm identification card requirement set forth in G.L. c. 140, § 129B, not the licensing requirements of G.L. c. 140, §§ 131 or 131F. In addition, G.L. c. 140, § 129C(j ), entitles new residents to own or possess “any firearm, rifle or shotgun and any ammunition therefor.” A large capacity feeding device is not among the list of items covered by G.L. c. 140, § 129C(j ). Also, the definition set forth in G.L. c. 140, § 121, for a “large capacity weapon” includes specific language that “[t]he term ‘large capacity weapon’ shall be a secondary designation and shall apply to a weapon in addition to its primary designation as a firearm, rifle or shotgun” (emphasis added).
The answer to question three is “no,” satisfaction of G.L. c. 140, § 129C(j ), does not provide a defense to a violation of G.L. c. 269, § 10(m ).

"

Rob, you are correct.

I teach some ways around this problem legally, but it is not something that I will share elsewhere.

Cornelius was a particularly stupid idiot and brought this to the forefront. Had he somehow applied for a LTC and received it, this issue at least wouldn't have come up and we'd still all be in dumb bliss.

It was much simpler in the old days before Cornelius and when you could mail order a non-resident LTC for $5. I arrived with my non-res LTC, declared residency, and obtained MA DL, license plates and LTC. And no, my non-resident LTC did not "self revoke" the day I de-facto declared residency by declaring for my driving license.

Please try reading the stickies in both the MA Gun Laws sub-forum and my training sub-forum. Most everything has been answered many times before here. Please do this before asking dozens of questions, which I'm sure that you will have.

All handguns and long guns (non-NFA) that do not violate the MA AWB (and mag ban) or are mfd on/before 9/13/1994 are legal to possess in MA. Dealers suffer under additional prohibitions that mere mortals don't have to pay attention to.

I teach a 7 hr seminar on the intricacies of Mass Gun Laws (details in my sub-forum) but have no scheduled classes as of now until I secure a classroom location in NH (I'm moving out of MA after 47 yrs in the gulag).

I posted here first because I have been reading and don’t plan on starting a dozen threads with questions. One think about a lot of the stickies is that they are from long ago, I’m wondering what may have changed in the meantime. I was thinking it might be wise to pay an attorney a couple of hours to review my collection and tell me exactly how to proceed. I have an assortment of NFA stuff that I assumed was a non starter for MA. I know the suppressors are right out, but I need to do more reading on SBR’s. Thanks.

I posted here first because I have been reading and don’t plan on starting a dozen threads with questions. One think about a lot of the stickies is that they are from long ago, I’m wondering what may have changed in the meantime. I was thinking it might be wise to pay an attorney a couple of hours to review my collection and tell me exactly how to proceed. I have an assortment of NFA stuff that I assumed was a non starter for MA. I know the suppressors are right out, but I need to do more reading on SBR’s. Thanks.
SBRs are nothing special except for the federal regulations requiing ATF approval for the move. They are covered by your LTC since they are arguably firearms. Rifles and Shotguns are not firearms in MA except while possessed on school grounds.

Are we talking pre 1994 SBR’s or any SBR’s? I have half a dozen AR platform SBR’s in 9mm, .223, and .300 AAC, one is on a form 4 and the rest are form 1, all papered since 2008. What about something like a CZ scorpion, SBR or pistol with a brace, I have both. I know it’s all 10 round mags, but does the braced scorpion qualify as a legal pistol?

Are we talking pre 1994 SBR’s or any SBR’s? I have half a dozen AR platform SBR’s in 9mm, .223, and .300 AAC, one is on a form 4 and the rest are form 1, all papered since 2008. What about something like a CZ scorpion, SBR or pistol with a brace, I have both. I know it’s all 10 round mags, but does the braced scorpion qualify as a legal pistol?

No go on any braced pistols, unless you have a fixed mag. The AWB outlines a 50oz weight limit for pistols, which means pretty much nothing qualifies if it has a detachable mag.

What exactly constitutes as moving? I rented an apartment in Quincy in March, but due to COVID I haven’t actually moved in yet. I have been staying in my house in RI.
I’ve been up to the apartment several times, and I may have to spend the night next week, but I still have my RI drivers license. So I am wondering when the 60-days officially starts.

Go for the A, as it costs the same as the two other licenses and lets you own everything MA legal (the others don't) except machine guns, plus allows concealed carry if unrestricted.. So, getting one is your first priority on moving.

Wait, I thought class A allows you to own large-capacity, but this quote makes it sound like it only allows MA-approved firearms. So does class A only allow the guns listed in the Approved Firearms Roster? Aren't those all non-large-capacity?

I recently obtained my RI blue card and am trying to buy my first pistol. But I'm not sure if I should buy a MA-approved one, or just a regular one. It's really hard to find a MA-approved anything these days. So I'm wondering if it's possible to just buy a regular pistol without needing to sell it if I do decide to move to MA full time.

To be honest I'm not sure if I ever want to transfer to be a MA-resident. I'm considering just keeping RI-residency.

Wait, I thought class A allows you to own large-capacity, but this quote makes it sound like it only allows MA-approved firearms. So does class A only allow the guns listed in the Approved Firearms Roster? Aren't those all non-large-capacity?

I recently obtained my RI blue card and am trying to buy my first pistol. But I'm not sure if I should buy a MA-approved one, or just a regular one. It's really hard to find a MA-approved anything these days. So I'm wondering if it's possible to just buy a regular pistol without needing to sell it if I do decide to move to MA full time.

To be honest I'm not sure if I ever want to transfer to be a MA-resident. I'm considering just keeping RI-residency.

The quote didn't mention the firearms roster at all. You don't have to worry about the roster, that's for FFLs only. If you have an LTC A you can have anything Mass LEGAL, meaning up to 10 rounds, OR pre ban large capacity mags.

If you're carrying in Mass, im fairly certain you need a nonresident LTC regardless of where you live.

ETA: I missed the part about the pistol. Fixed mag only unless you SBR it. It isn't hard to find a Mass legal rifle. Buy any rifle, pin the stock and weld the muzzle - Done.

Pistols are a different story. If it has a brace, it needs a fixed mag since it's over 50 ounces. Don't even bring a regular pistol into this state.

You will definitely need a non resident LTC. I don't know about Quincy. Look up Quincy LTC. Massachusetts is one of the few states with zero reciprocity. They want to account for every single firearm carrier in the state. The exception is if you're driving through and don't stop except for necessities, but that's a hard argument when you have an apartment here.

The roster is just to dissuade consumers and confuse FFLs. You can own any handgun that meets the legal requirements, FFLs just can't transfer you handguns that arent on the list. Ignore the roster.

Ask one of the guys on here about applying in quincy. You may be better off trying to get a resident LTC, I dont know. That's above my pay grade.

Last edited:
I feel like the decisions in Commonwealth v. Conelius are being overlooked on NES. Hasn’t this changed folks ability to move in state with “large capacity firearms” under subsection (j)?

“MGL - Part I - Title XX - Chapter 140 - Section 129C - (j)
(j) Any resident of the commonwealth returning after having been absent from the commonwealth for not less than 180 consecutive days or any new resident moving into the commonwealth, with respect to any firearm, rifle or shotgun and any ammunition therefor then in his possession, for 60 days after such return or entry into the commonwealth;”

Doesn’t the Conelius ruling now effectively prevent folks from bringing in previously owned “high capacity firearms” upon their move into state? No more Glock 19’s, preban AR’s / AK’s or any semiauto rifle/shotgun that is considered “high capacity” or easily convertible to (ability to accept 10+ mags).

Hoping someone can tell me I’m wrong here, otherwise a lot of guys are getting fed bad intel.

I feel like the decisions in Commonwealth v. Conelius are being overlooked on NES. Hasn’t this changed folks ability to move in state with “large capacity firearms” under subsection (j)?
It most definitely has. It doesn't seem to be causing problems because people generally STFU about their guns until they get the license.

With all the red tape in acquring a license when moving to Ma. It doesnt seem worth moving there , but I do like the state. Wonder what the state would say to my legally owned full auto M16

With all the red tape in acquring a license when moving to Ma. It doesnt seem worth moving there , but I do like the state. Wonder what the state would say to my legally owned full auto M16
It all depends on what the local licensing authority decides, as there is a MA license to possess a machine gun and about 3000 are in effect.

At minimum you will have to qualify as a bona-fide collector (03 FFL does it), as the only other reason the law provides for is trainer of law enforcement.

I am not aware of any cases in which an applicant denied a MG license on the basis of a blanket departmental policy was overturned upon appeal to the MA courts, however, there have been failed attempts.

Last edited:
As some licensing schemes go, it could be worse.

If you're serious about the rifle with the giggle switch, the comments above about different towns is spot-on. I don't know from where you hail, but Mass has 350+ towns/cities. Each has their unique way of observing (or not) firearm license laws.

Rob and Jack know whereof they speak.

Guy from across the industrial park from my work got his LTC in ~40 days from application, which he put in the week after he took the LTC course. Other towns are a PITA.

Appraiser makes a good point, depending on your job/aims/plans.

I have a friend who is moving from NJ to Mass. On the MA license application form it asks for two references. Do these references have to be from NJ, MA or can they be from any state? He doesn't know anyone in MA, so if the references have to be from someone in MA he has a problem.

I have a friend who is moving from NJ to Mass. On the MA license application form it asks for two references. Do these references have to be from NJ, MA or can they be from any state? He doesn't know anyone in MA, so if the references have to be from someone in MA he has a problem.
Anyone, anywhere.

Hi All, I have read through all of this. Very interesting and informative.

Some of the information I am interested in is a bit old though so would someone please confirm that upon moving to MA it is still legal to have a LTC licensed friend hold my guns (Henry Lever Classic, TX22 (which I understand is now on the roster) and a Glock Gen 3 G17, 10 round mags for both pistols) until I get my LTC, which in my case will most likely take longer than 60 days.

I am particularly interested/concerned about the G17 as it does not make the AG's cut. - can my friend hold it as well despite the fact that they cannot be bought or transferred in MA?

Thank you!
The roster is entirely irrelevant. The roster pertains to what dealers can sell and transfer. It has no bearing on you or what you can own/possess. Once you have an LTC, you can own and possess anything that is not an assault weapon.

ETA: The Glock can absolutely be bought, sold, and transferred in Mass, just not by dealers. As long as your friend does not have a Mass Dealer's License, it's a non-issue.

Some of the information/posts I am interested in are a bit old though so would someone please confirm that upon moving to MA it is still legal to have a LTC licensed friend hold my guns (Henry Lever Classic, TX22 (which I understand is now on the roster) and a Glock Gen 3 G17, 10 round mags for both pistols) until I get my LTC, which in my case will most likely take longer than 60 days.

I am particularly interested/concerned about the G17 as it does not make the AG's cut - can my friend hold it as well despite the fact that they cannot be bought or transferred in MA?

Thank you!
Totally fine

And your g17 can 100%be bought and transferred in MA if you follow the law.

Some of the information/posts I am interested in are a bit old though so would someone please confirm that upon moving to MA it is still legal to have a LTC licensed friend hold my guns (Henry Lever Classic, TX22 (which I understand is now on the roster) and a Glock Gen 3 G17, 10 round mags for both pistols) until I get my LTC, which in my case will most likely take longer than 60 days.

I am particularly interested/concerned about the G17 as it does not make the AG's cut - can my friend hold it as well despite the fact that they cannot be bought or transferred in MA?

Thank you!
AAARGH!!!!!

Glocks of any flavor may be transferred (>10 round mage must pre-date the federal ban adopted by the state as permanent). The transfer regulation relating to the AGs list, as well as the roster requirement, apply only to dealers, not buyers or private transferrers/ees. If a dealer sells you a new Glock you are the victim of an unfair and deceptive trade practice .... unless the AG can stretch the law and charge you with attempting to defraud yourself.

(repost of original as I see teh original was already replied to - thnx, new here :)

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom