• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving to Massachusetts, running my plan/understanding by members here

Well, I didn't see any point in a brake. What would it do for me but make more noise? I spoke to several gunsmiths, and they all preferred to cut and recrown. For that matter, why go looking for a lower for $1400 just to keep the flash hider? I think 10-round magazines will absolutely get it done in any situation I can imagine myself being in where I might use an AR15! I have plenty of 10-round magazines, too. I'd love to have my 30-round mags, don't get me wrong, but I don't perceive this as a major issue for me in any realistic scenario I would face.

And you can keep your Glock mags. I prefer a 1911.

I have moved three times, so I have a lot of experience in this. For the first time, I decided I could handle it independently. I sorted things, bought boxes, packed them, and transported them for several days. It was inexpensive, but I had to spend a lot of time and effort. Therefore, the last two times, I used the services of a moving companyacelinemoving.com. I didn't worry about time, didn't carry boxes, and was confident in a high-quality result. Don't do it yourself if you want to get through your move quickly. But to transport weapons, you need to purchase exceptional cases.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I’m moving to Massachusetts soon. I tried to figure all this crap out myself, and I just wanted to run it by folks here. I think I’ve got it figured out, as I’ve been reading a lot, here and in other places. I have a number of handguns, but they are all single-stack handguns with magazine capacities of 10 or lower. I have a lever-action hunting rifle that holds 3 rounds in the magazines. I also have a BCM 20” AR15 (fixed stock, threaded barrel with A2 flash hider, no bayonet lug) and a bunch of recent-manufacture 30-round magazines.

If I’ve understood correctly, I’m good to go on the lever gun, handguns, and handgun magazines because the “handgun compliance” issue only affects dealers trying to sell/transfer – and does not affect me bringing already-owned handguns into the state – but the AR will be a problem. I will need to have the AR15 barrel either pinned and welded or soldered with a “brake,” or cut and recrowned below the threads, in order for the AR to not violate the AWB because at that point, the only “bad” thing about the gun will be the pistol grip, and an AR needs two “bad” things to count as an Assault Weapon in Massachusetts. And then I’ll have to leave my 30-round mags outside of Mass and buy 10-rounders (or pre-ban 30-rounders… if any even still exist for purchase since this “crisis” caused a firearms-related shortage).

Is all that correct?

I’ve already taken a Massachusetts approved class to apply for an LTC (so I know about the “under your immediate control” laws, storage laws, etc.).

My plan is to move to Mass with all my guns in tow, apply for the LTC immediately once I’ve established residency, and – if I’ve understood everything correctly – if I get it in 60 days of the date I established residency caperemovals.co.za, then I will be good to go and will not have to register any of my guns. If, however, I don’t get it within 60 days, I have to get the guns out of Mass, register them, and then bring them back in once they are registered.

Does all that sound right?
Your understanding is generally correct. You can bring your handguns and compliant magazines. Modify the AR15 as described for AWB compliance. Ensure your 30-round magazines are modified or left outside the state. Apply for an LTC upon residency, and if received within 60 days, registration is not required; otherwise, registration is necessary before bringing them back in. Verify details as laws may change.

I'm sure there are some job opportunities that short term may allow one to retire early or pay off a house/student loans/etc.

If you're not making at least $150k per year, it seems like a bad move to me.
We moved out of CT to MA about 11 years ago.

My wife made very good money and I was had been looking for a job for about 9 months in the field of Pharma IT. I was going to start looking in the insurance industry in Hartford, but the pay was less than 1/2.

My wife was recruited by the largest biotech company in the state (not hard to figure out) for about 50% more than she was making. We sold our $500k home that I had purchased 20 years earlier for 160k and had continually renovated and expanded myself, that had not increased in value in years because of the stagnant CT real estate market and bought a place in MA for about $150k more.

I found a job in my field within 2 weeks after we moved up here and started work about 3 weeks after that.

Since then
1) my wife now makes MULTIPLES of what she made when we got here and since she made the switch to running her own consulting firm, works as much or as little as she wants without a boss.
2) we have been able to afford a home in a truly free state nearby. This was especially important because when covid hit we bugged out to that state and hiked, hunted, swam, biked, shot guns and generally played to our hearts content as a family.
3) most importantly I was able to stop working for several years to be a stay at home dad (think 1950s house wife) and put a 5h1t ton of time and energy into raising two amazingly strong, resilient and independent kids. Plus no rat race. The house always has groceries, the bills are paid, the cars are serviced the clothes are washed and the house is clean.
4) our MA home here has appreciated beyond our wildest expectations. We will be able to sell it and use a small portion of its worth to expand our place in the free state once our kids are out of school in a few years. The rest will go into our retirement savings.

For us, moving to MA has been fantastic. It gave us

1) access to job markets that allowed us to achieve true financial freedom.
2) the financial ability to buy a home in a truly free state
3) the ability for one of us to stay at home with the kids and give them all the time we wanted.

So yes, I guess it all boils down to money. But if you use that extra money to save more, work less, and spend more time with the kids, then it's a big deal. If you use that extra money to just live in a fancy house and drive an expensive car, then it's meaningless and stupid.

We moved out of CT to MA about 11 years ago.

My wife made very good money and I was had been looking for a job for about 9 months in the field of Pharma IT. I was going to start looking in the insurance industry in Hartford, but the pay was less than 1/2.

My wife was recruited by the largest biotech company in the state (not hard to figure out) for about 50% more than she was making. We sold our $500k home that I had purchased 20 years earlier for 160k and had continually renovated and expanded myself, that had not increased in value in years because of the stagnant CT real estate market and bought a place in MA for about $150k more.

I found a job in my field within 2 weeks after we moved up here and started work about 3 weeks after that.

Since then
1) my wife now makes MULTIPLES of what she made when we got here and since she made the switch to running her own consulting firm, works as much or as little as she wants without a boss.
2) we have been able to afford a home in a truly free state nearby. This was especially important because when covid hit we bugged out to that state and hiked, hunted, swam, biked, shot guns and generally played to our hearts content as a family.
3) most importantly I was able to stop working for several years to be a stay at home dad (think 1950s house wife) and put a 5h1t ton of time and energy into raising two amazingly strong, resilient and independent kids. Plus no rat race. The house always has groceries, the bills are paid JHB Removals, the cars are serviced the clothes are washed and the house is clean.
4) our MA home here has appreciated beyond our wildest expectations. We will be able to sell it and use a small portion of its worth to expand our place in the free state once our kids are out of school in a few years. The rest will go into our retirement savings.

For us, moving to MA has been fantastic. It gave us

1) access to job markets that allowed us to achieve true financial freedom.
2) the financial ability to buy a home in a truly free state
3) the ability for one of us to stay at home with the kids and give them all the time we wanted.

So yes, I guess it all boils down to money. But if you use that extra money to save more, work less, and spend more time with the kids, then it's a big deal. If you use that extra money to just live in a fancy house and drive an expensive car, then it's meaningless and stupid.
thank you so much for your suggestion

Back
Top Bottom