• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving to NH- purchasing process / regs

No offense, but this sounds more like a you problem. This might not be exactly your fault as I have a fsome friends in NC, AK, LA, and ID who gripe that "I always get a delay". The average everday person will never see a NICS generated delay. My only slowdowns despite buying long guns and handguns in seven? different states was with NH's "gun line" on handguns last year.

Common name? Do you list your SSN on the 4473? Witness protection program-mob boss in a former life? Prohibited person in disguise? just kidding on the last one

Looking at this from the outside, I get your point. But I'm not on the outside. It happened to me. Multiple times. I am not the kind of person to just let that pass. I dug into this as deep as I could. I corroborated with several people. I shared my experiences and you are free to conclude what you will. But I can assure you that nothing that I can control is the problem.

Looking at this from the outside, I get your point. But I'm not on the outside. It happened to me. Multiple times. I am not the kind of person to just let that pass. I dug into this as deep as I could. I corroborated with several people. I shared my experiences and you are free to conclude what you will. But I can assure you that nothing that I can control is the problem.

Yes, but your misfortunes does not equal-->

Expect to get a delay,

I've had 3 handguns transferred to me in NH, all pre-COVID. I was born in MA and spent almost all my years in MA. Twice I had to wait ~1 hour and once ~15 minutes to get cleared. In MA I probably did 70-80 transfers previously and never had to wait more than "instantaneous" . . . so the NH gun line does slow things down. But alluding to all people born in MA being held up, just isn't correct. And for the record, I never put my SSN on those forms (not on a 4473 and not on a LTC application form)!!

Yes, but your misfortunes does not equal-->

Based on my experience, and several other I have spoken to, it makes sense to at least offer fair warning. My advice to the OP. You may have other, as you seem more prescient. You have up till now, refuted my direct experience and advice three different times. Should you do it a fourth, it will be to nobody, as I wont be listening. You are boring to keep going back and forth with. Since I can't make you STFU, I will just ignore.

That's pretty good then. The corroboration among FFLs is prolific. Four different dealers, 4 guns over three years and same story. I applaud their coordination.
Obviously we can't test it but it would be funny if you were easily able to buy a rifle at the same time. (Feds only) That would have at least proven the gun line was at least blowing some smoke.

I am going to ask some people i know who use the gun line a lot over past 6 yrs they can probably back up what you saw.

Based on my experience, and several other I have spoken to, it makes sense to at least offer fair warning. My advice to the OP. You may have other, as you seem more prescient. You have up till now, refuted my direct experience and advice three different times. Should you do it a fourth, it will be to nobody, as I wont be listening. You are boring to keep going back and forth with. Since I can't make you STFU, I will just ignore.
Given what I've seen in the past year an arbitrary delay isn't likely. But the gun line has changed a bit in the past year or so.

I've had 3 handguns transferred to me in NH, all pre-COVID. I was born in MA and spent almost all my years in MA. Twice I had to wait ~1 hour and once ~15 minutes to get cleared. In MA I probably did 70-80 transfers previously and never had to wait more than "instantaneous" . . . so the NH gun line does slow things down. But alluding to all people born in MA being held up, just isn't correct. And for the record, I never put my SSN on those forms (not on a 4473 and not on a LTC application form)!!

May not be correct. In my original post, I asked for FFL input as I admit I do not know. All I can say, with certainty, is I got delayed at 4 different dealers, over 3 years and each one relayed the exact same message "MA system down, come back in 3 days". Not embellished or made up, it told directly to me, my wife, and several others I spoke to at a gun show. Would love to get to the bottom of why I was told that....

Given what I've seen in the past year an arbitrary delay isn't likely. But the gun line has changed a bit in the past year or so.

I haven't made a purchase in a year. But I was just reminded by my wife that this happened to her another time, we do not share a last name so there is no obvious connection. But it happened on a gun sale Xmas 2019 at Monadnock Firearms in Fitzwilliam. And he definitely told us it was delayed because of a MA system problem, and to come back in 3 days as it would clear. We do both use SSN on the 4473. Maybe its time to stop doing that.

No waiting periods.
However, pistol sales are called in to the state police and at high volume times you can be waiting...I've had 45 minute to 2 hour waits sometimes.

P&R lets you ATV carry, buy a private sale pistol from people you don't know, and is required for certain non-res licenses (like the MA non-res LTC). Mine took about 4 business hours to acquire, so 100% worth it for me. It's extremely easy to get (you don't need photos or anything).
you need state permission to carry on an ATV? i thought that was ditched

edit: looks like its being done away with. what a ridiculous rule

you need state permission to carry on an ATV? i thought that was ditched

edit: looks like its being done away with. what a ridiculous rule

Right, should be taken care of soon, hopefully.
ATV or no ATV, I'd still get one.

get what? a permit? i really dont get the point. its like asking permission
Because I like to have the option to buy pistols face to face.
And I have a MA non-res LTC so I can carry in Massachusetts (and compete) and it is required in order to apply in Massachusetts.
And for reciprocity with states that honor it.

If you only use FFLs and you never leave NH (or bring guns out state) then no, it's not worth it.

AFAIK there is no requirement for a permit for personal sale.

and no, i never go to states i cannot carry in. i also do not go to massachusetts since i moved away from there.

For pistols you are supposed to "personally know" the buyer, unless they have P&R, in which case that requirement is waived.

§ Sec. 159:14 Exemption.
None of the provisions of this chapter shall prohibit an individual not licensed under the provisions thereof who is not engaged in the business of selling pistols or revolvers from selling a pistol or revolver to a person licensed under this chapter or to a person personally known to him.

(emphasis mine)

you need QUOTE="Chrisg67, post: 7336950, member: 11318"]
Lol yes there is! In NH if you do not personally know the person you are selling a handgun to they have to pop a P/R license as a bypass.

sounds like its merely a suggestion then
No, it's the law. Whether or not it's enforced or not is open to debate.

But openly admitting you don't know the buyer and did not see their P&R is a violation of the law.
Or, you can pay $10 for a few years and forget about that inconvenience, and gain other perks.

I believe the penalty is a class B felony, but I am not 100% sure on that part.

No, it's the law. Whether or not it's enforced or not is open to debate.

But openly admitting you don't know the buyer and did not see their P&R is a violation of the law.
Or, you can pay $10 for a few years and forget about that inconvenience, and gain other perks.
my rebuttal is based on the semantics of defining knowing someone or not.

i personally dont really care one way or another as it doesnt pertain to me. just curiosity.

my rebuttal is based on the semantics of defining knowing someone or not.

i personally dont really care one way or another as it doesnt pertain to me. just curiosity.
Right, I mentioned that the "personally known" part is, I believe, legally untested.
I'd rather just pay $2.50 a year or whatever it is and not even have to countenance it.

But to go back to your original question, that is why; anyone wanting to carry in MA will need one, and it's very cheap/easy insurance/accessibility for private sales, as well as ATV carry (for the time being) and reciprocity with like 20 others states or whatever the count is these days. There's also tangential stuff, like a CCW license counting for CMP purchases, etc.

But to go back to your original question, that is why; anyone wanting to carry in MA will need one, and it's very cheap/easy insurance/accessibility for private sales, as well as ATV carry (for the time being) and reciprocity with like 20 others states or whatever the count is these days. There's also tangential stuff, like a CCW license counting for CMP purchases, etc.
The state site lists 30 reciprocal states, including several of our fellow "Constitutional carry" states where reciprocity makes little or no difference.

I mostly keep my NH license active because it is a pre-requisite to apply for non-resident licenses in many states. For example, the Utah non-resident adds a half dozen additional interesting states.

I've done a half dozen handgun purchases over the past 5 years and all completed background check in 20-40 mins, except last November, when I had to wait two days for background check for a Ruger Mark IV 22. No idea why. I got the carry permit, which lasts for 5 years IIRC, for reciprocity purposes.

I've done a half dozen handgun purchases over the past 5 years and all completed background check in 20-40 mins, except last November, when I had to wait two days for background check for a Ruger Mark IV 22. No idea why. I got the carry permit, which lasts for 5 years IIRC, for reciprocity purposes.
If we're talking nov 2020 everyone had to wait. Gun line was only doing fax-ins and everyone was "administratively" delayed.

The state site lists 30 reciprocal states, including several of our fellow "Constitutional carry" states where reciprocity makes little or no difference.

I mostly keep my NH license active because it is a pre-requisite to apply for non-resident licenses in many states. For example, the Utah non-resident adds a half dozen additional interesting states.
Interesting that you mention Utah, since Utah is one of the states that doesn't require you to have a license in your home state. I got my Utah when I was in MA and did not have a MA license.

No, but it is awfully strange that the last half dozen or so people I have run into that moved out, not a single one of them said their LTC was invalidated by either EOPS or their issuing
authority. (IOW, license still passes validation on the portal) And if you're sending out the letters, CJIS/EOPS/etc get one too. Someone there obviously feels they do not have the power to cancel the license and only the issuing authority does.
FRB chooses not to administratively expire a LTC unless requested by the LO. They have the ability to do it, but choose not to do so. This was directly told to me by the FRB Director (unsure if it was Jason or Michaela when I was told this).
Right, I mentioned that the "personally known" part is, I believe, legally untested.
I'd rather just pay $2.50 a year or whatever it is and not even have to countenance it.

You forgot one . . . Fed law about being armed within 1000' of a school. Although it is unknown if ever prosecuted, that $10 P/R License legally protects you from that. Unless a NH officer is part of a Fed TaskForce, no other NH LEOs have the power to enforce Fed laws. So, the risk is low, but it's there on the books.
Do nothing and carry on. When dealing with .gov, there are some situations where you can get screwed if you try to do the right thing, and nobody cares if you don't.
How can you get screwed for doing "the right thing" by notifying the issuing authority and FRB? I'm really curious what nefarious things you (and others) think that can come from this?
Also it is a 5 yr license, so no background check when you buy a gun. Just fill out the 4473 and pay. Also it is good in 36 states! No go in MA, NY, DE, MD, CT, RI, PA, WA, OR, CA, HI, IL or CO. GTG everywhere else.
You may have forgotten a few states. I doubt it will buy you anything in NJ. I don't know if you are missing any others.

I've purchased 6 handguns since I moved to NH two and a half years ago, and my wife has purchased one. The longest we ever had to wait was about an hour and a half. Another time, we had to wait about a half hour. The other five took minutes. Neither of us put our SSN on the form. Three of those purchases (not the 1.5 hour) came after all this pandemic BS started.

Back
Top Bottom