• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving to Peabody from out of state LTC

Hi. brand new tot he forum and brand new to MA. I have done a lot of research on the LTC and am concerned about being able to keep my guns after I become a resident of Peabody. I am moving from TN. I have become familiar with the regulations and from what I've read on here, Peabody can be a pretty tough place to get a license. I am looking for some advice.

I had a DUI in 01 and a wreckless op in 2003. Both were misdemeanors with potential penalties of 1 year or less and it has been more than five years since the incident. Does anyone know if this will create issues with licensing? I have a walther PPQ and a glock 21 .45 and it is my understanding because both of these have high capacity magazines I will need LTC-A to possess in this state. Is it possible to be denied this license and still keep my guns. I have been shootings for 20+ years and will be very upset if I have to give them up.

you can be denied a license for the handguns, there is no requirement for a Police Department to issue a permit.

Your 2 charges are enough to raise "suitability" issues.

If you do not have at least a MA LTC A restricted to target and hunting, you can not own those guns in MA.

When you get to MA there is a time limit to how long you can have the guns without a permit.

You will need to get a safety course scheduled for the day you arrive in MA if not before, submit your application,and pray you get a license, otherwise you are screwed.

I'll let someone with more knowledge of the legality of post ban magazines and how they come into play when moving in from out of state comment on that topic

Last edited:
In his state WRT DUI, the potential maximum term of incarceration (he says) is a year, so that would not trigger the statutory disqualification.

The disqualification is not for DUI, it is for ANY potential jail term of 2.5 years or more ( or is it 2 I forget).

He does squarely fall into the suitability trap though. Any licensing authority is going to (rightly) look at a DUI and a reckless operation charge in a 2 year period as a reason to question if they are a suitable person under MGL

I edited my post after looking it up. A Mass DUI before May 94 isn't a factor because that's when they increased the penalty to 2.5 years. I thought I read that Peabody had a new COP that was more green than the previous one.

Thanks everyone for your comments. The DUI was not in Mass. It was in OH in 2001 and the max jail time for this charge in ohio was, I believe, 6 months in jail/$1000 fine. (Not actual penalty received, but potential penalty). Therefore, the way I read the regs, because the penalties in the state where I lived at the time were <2years, this should not be an automatic disqualifier in MA. I have taken a look at the application and can answer no to all of the "suitability" questions except the one "have you ever appeared in court as a defendant for any criminal defense"

Couple of followup questions:

1) Is it beneficial to the process to take the MA safety course in the town in which you are appyling?

2) Does it help to schedule an appointment with the chief prior to submitting the application? Is this even possible?

Thanks! All set on the magizines. from the research I have done. Can't have them at all possession itself is a felony.

Thanks! All set on the magizines. from the research I have done. Can't have them at all possession itself is a felony.
There is a grace period for firearms when moving in if you have applied IIRC, but yes, to have them at all, even locked up without an LTC or FID corresponding to what you have is a no-no. Possession of AWB prohibited items is banned - period (unless they are pre-ban).

Doesn't matter where you take the safety course - they must have the required MA certificate to teach it and sign yours. There is no town specific requirement in MA state law, but of course suitability has meant extremely wide latitude on a town by town basis ranging from tows that follow the letter of the law to towns that have set themselves for lawsuits for their behavior.

As for contacting their CLEO, each town/city is different - can't say.

The safe advice is to understand that anything you say can and will be used against you, so it never hurts to seek advice of an attorney, but you have to decide what is best for you.

Behavior of departments in this state has ranged from perfectly reasonable, just like you'd expect anywhere in the country to totally ridiculous.

Good luck and have you considered NH? [laugh]

I edited my post after looking it up. A Mass DUI before May 94 isn't a factor because that's when they increased the penalty to 2.5 years. I thought I read that Peabody had a new COP that was more green than the previous one.

Still the same COP. There is a new LO though.

There is a grace period for firearms when moving in if you have applied IIRC, but yes, to have them at all, even locked up without an LTC or FID corresponding to what you have is a no-no. Possession of AWB prohibited items is banned - period (unless they are pre-ban).

Doesn't matter where you take the safety course - they must have the required MA certificate to teach it and sign yours. There is no town specific requirement in MA state law, but of course suitability has meant extremely wide latitude on a town by town basis ranging from tows that follow the letter of the law to towns that have set themselves for lawsuits for their behavior.

As for contacting their CLEO, each town/city is different - can't say.

The safe advice is to understand that anything you say can and will be used against you, so it never hurts to seek advice of an attorney, but you have to decide what is best for you.

Behavior of departments in this state has ranged from perfectly reasonable, just like you'd expect anywhere in the country to totally ridiculous.

Good luck and have you considered NH? [laugh]

Thanks! Seriously considering NH. We are planning on renting for a few months before we buy. Open to anything at this point.

Thanks! Seriously considering NH. We are planning on renting for a few months before we buy. Open to anything at this point.
I am fortunate that my town is quite good and I have never hesitated to contact them, but it is a green town that issues unrestricted LTC's and doesn't add non-statutory requirements.

Unfortunately, it sounds like this is not the case for Peabody and you have some tricky answers to work through on your application though not statutory disqualifiers, "suitability" is the civil rights stomping monster that it is.

There are attorneys who specialize in this sort of thing.

I'll let someone with more knowledge of the legality of post ban magazines and how they come into play when moving in from out of state comment on that topic

What else is there to know? You cannot legally possess post-ban high caps within the sate of Massachusetts. It's rather straightforward....

Give Det. Crane a call at the Peabody PD, he is not a bad guy and you should be able to ask him about it. If he says you might have trouble then go north a little and dont worry about it.
I have a couple of questionable things from my youth I didnt answer correctly to and he explained it to me and told me I would be fine.
Also you will get a restricted license first time around, hunting and target that he told me would be lifted when I renew in 5 years

I have a friend in peabody and they restricted his ltc for the first year (so they say [thinking]) but it would seem you have a bit more opposition then in a normal green town moving there.

Last edited:
In these parts, distance is measured in time not miles. Peabody to the NH border can be done in 25-30 minutes up 95. SERIOUSLY consider it.

Peabody is a toilet in my opinion anyway [smile]

Another vote for NH here. Im in Danvers, next town over from Peabody. Less than a half an hour from the border. Ive been casually looking at listings up there myself.

I have a friend in peabody and they restricted his ltc for the first year (so they say [thinking]) but it would seem you have a bit more opposition then in a norml green town moving there.

Yeah I got the restrictions and was told by Det Olson, that if everything was okay after a year I could refile to get an unrestricted, I'm just not that type of person to pay another $100 dollars to them to change a few words on my LTC after a year.

Yeah I got the restrictions and was told by Det Olson, that if everything was okay after a year I could refile to get an unrestricted, I'm just not that type of person to pay another $100 dollars to them to change a few words on my LTC after a year.

You do not have to pay another $100.00 to request they remove the restrictions. You just have to send them a letter requesting it.

Back
Top Bottom