• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MSNBC Poll

I would just like to thank everyone for voting in favor. I am a former Bridgewater State College student; and current resident of the college (my wife works for the college and we get free housing in return) and it absolutely sucks that I cannot carry on campus even though I have very little interaction with the students and even more so as a licensed individual and instructor.

No; "allowing guns on campuses could confuse authorities in a real crisis."

Let me get this straight, a mad man is shooting people, and a person can't stop him with one to the mellon because the police would be confussed?

Yes; armed students and faculty could respond to a critical situation immediately.
75%

No; allowing guns on campuses could confuse authorities in a real crisis.
25%

Standing at 77% for.

My only issue with the poll is the wording.

Its as though the pollster thinks the only appropriate reason for someone to carry would be to cooperate with authorities in quelling the next Cho.

Kind of like asking "how often do you beat your wife" though not so extreme...

Yes; armed students and faculty could respond to a critical situation immediately.

No; allowing guns on campuses could confuse authorities in a real crisis.

Maybe Army Boot Camp should be conducted on a college campus, because apparently it turns gun owners into killing machines.

Has the poll been spammed or are people in America actually starting to realize the truth? MSNBC is usually a liberal haven yet 73% of people who responded there say they would support the idea of students and faculty carrying guns on campus.

These on-line polls are self-selecting and thus statistically meaningless as a measurement of opinion. They DO however, allow for a group of people with similar views to advertise their opinions by spamming the things.

I'd love to see a properly neutral-worded and statistically valid poll done about firearms nationwide though.

I'd especially like to know how people feel about the issues when they are not being lied to by the poll-taker. As it is, I honestly don't know what the general opinions of citizens are outside my immediate circle or sometimes the specific geographical area in which I live.

As it is, I honestly don't know what the general opinions of citizens are outside my immediate circle or sometimes the specific geographical area in which I live.

Yes, these sorts of polls are meaningless, really. Over at Democratic Underground these polls are routinely identified under the heading of "DU THIS POLL!", as I'm sure you know.

Your words, quoted above, remind me of a somewhat apocryphal quote from the New York film critic Pauline Kael who, it is reported, was stunned by the landslide victory of Nixon over McGovern in 1972.

What she actually said remains shrouded in the mists of history, but it is remembered along the lines of:

"I don't know how he won. No one I know voted for him."

Please do continue to endeavor to both know and free yourself from "the general opinions of citizens are outside my immediate circle". It can be wonderfully liberating.

These on-line polls are self-selecting and thus statistically meaningless as a measurement of opinion. They DO however, allow for a group of people with similar views to advertise their opinions by spamming the things.

True, but given the anti's can neither mount a decent popular response or defeat the ongoing surge in CCW, Castle Law and "Stand-your-Ground" law passage, one wonders if such un-scientific polls are not trending reality...

True, but given the anti's can neither mount a decent popular response or defeat the ongoing surge in CCW, Castle Law and "Stand-your-Ground" law passage, one wonders if such un-scientific polls are not trending reality...

I think it may well be that. certainly among younger people, I think we have a good opportunity to get the truth out.

The point of my post was that
a: these self-selecting polls don't tell anything in statistical facts. And,
b: it's very hard to get a gauge on real opinions without real polling.

I'd love to see some solid polling done on the subject. I'd also love to see the NRA etc. doing a solid PR campaign on gun facts and exploding the ANTI's positions.

What's frustrating to me is that there is so little in the way of MSM outreach.

People who cherish their 2a rights seem to be a minority. I'd just like to see us all doing a better job of outreach. The facts are on our side, they just rarely seem to get out of our own little circles. Maybe if more people knew the truth and were educated, it would be harder for lawmakers to chip away at our rights.

Back
Top Bottom