MSP Colonel's Son in Hot Water - Drunk with Guns

Possession while intoxicated, we might be making some progress

It appears that I can also presume that some here would throw some firearms into their car and then drive to a bar to tank up.
I’ll bet we can presume some people carry while they are at a backyard BBQ and have a couple cold ones. Completely irresponsible.

What kind of animal would carry around other people and around booze.

You should probably experience how a good chunk of the country lives their day to day. You might be horrified.

my comments follow:

The interesting thing here is that if the person does NOT possess a LTC, they can't be charged under this law!!!

YOU CANT DRIVE YOUR HOUSE AROUND111
Unless you live out of your car. Or if you are in a camper.

what '?'
?
why cannot i have a right to sleep drunk in my own car - ?
What if he was homeless? Or at home in his driveway? Or in a motorhome at a campground?

If you find a drunk parked in the middle of nowhere,
is there probable cause that they were driving drunk?
See answers/questions above.

like a bad molar
Good one! Ha ha.

Because, depending on location, in the vast majority of instances it is both correct and reasonable to presume operation while under the influence which of course puts the citizenry (the victims of the behavior) at very real risk .
It is? What about "presumed innocent until found guilty"?

You're right it's not about being drunk in possession. It's about the fu...king coverup that 99% of us stiffs don't benefit from if we get jammed up for the same thing. The country has had this cancer for a very long time. Nobody should be shocked that it is getting worse at all levels and accelerating fast.
This is it in a nutshell. Just like that judge's daughter. Just like Hunter Biden. Just like Charlie Baker's son. And on and on and on. Someone should start a website keeping track of these.

I hope Turtleboy stays with this.

I don’t see why you are having kittens
Another good one! Ha ha.

It is? What about "presumed innocent until found guilty"?

I am referencing presuming elements of a crime not guilt/innocence-a suspect is exactly that.

Something else I am presuming, that the rifles/handguns were properly 'kept' in the vehicle.

Is there info on what firearms and rifles were in the vehicle ?

If this is a single incident in the young mans life and if he properly secured the guns in the vehicle he gets a pass on everything, should the storage not have been compliant its a one year rev should this not be the only incident a multi year rev-in any instance the record would be sealed at the end of it all.

We will most probably never know the outcome/facts as it is most likely a certainty the matter will be heard in the MA 'secret' court system .

What about "presumed innocent until found guilty"?
First he becomes an innocent detained person,
then he becomes an innocent arrested person,
then he becomes an innocent charged person,
then he becomes an innocent indicted person,
then he becomes an innocent tried person,
then he becomes a guilty person.

We will most probably never know the outcome/facts as it is most likely a certainty the matter will be heard in the MA 'secret' court system .
Yeah, no:

State Police Colonel Cover Up Son’s DUI – Turtleboy – 5.04.22 – Hour 4

The press bitched so hard that the upcoming hearing
has been opened to the public.

Because this thread made it to the weekend. [rofl]

Hey, how come everyone in the audience gets what's gonna happen
as soon as she tells the cop she's fine - just had a little too much to drink?

I thought getting busted for sleeping drunk in a car was some
incredibly subtle law, like...
25396882-25396882.jpg

Interesting MA laws on the books?

Ch 272:
Section 36. Whoever wilfully blasphemes the holy name of God by denying, cursing or contumeliously reproaching God, his creation, government or final judging of the world, or by cursing or contumeliously reproaching Jesus Christ or the Holy Ghost, or by cursing or contumeliously reproaching or exposing to contempt and ridicule, the holy word of God contained in the holy scriptures shall be punished by imprisonment in jail for not more than one year or by a fine of not more than three hundred dollars, and may also be bound to good behavior.

Ch 276: (so now we know why police do not handcuff witnesses to suspects)
Section 54. An officer who, having the custody of a witness committed because of his failure to furnish sureties, causes or permits him to be handcuffed to a person, held in custody, charged with or sentenced for crime, or to be transported within a city to or from any court or prison in a vehicle with such person, shall be punished by a fine of not more than twenty dollars.

Possession while intoxicated, we might be making some progress

It appears that I can also presume that some here would throw some firearms into their car and then drive to a bar to tank up.
And?

What if in this instance the guy in question calls a buddy to come get the car and drive it home and the fire arms were never touched?

Your a fan of hemming people up for pre crime eh? Also seem to be a fan of charging people for crimes when there is no victim.

Hell......I'll just say it.....your a statist boot licker.

In free states, a lot of people have “truck guns”. That is, they leave a rifle and ammo in their vehicle at all times, even if they are headed out to a bar for a few. I wouldn’t do that because guns can get stolen (and I don’t drink), but I don’t see why you are having kittens about someone being drunk while they had guns in their car. How is that different from someone getting drunk at home while there are guns in the home?
We're wasting our time. It's obvious @snubnose is a fan of mass storage laws.....and laws in general that inhibit freedom of any kind.

many here are getting their shorts all knotted up over the dui aspect of the incident-lets forget that and presume that the guns were not properly 'stored' -do I understand that this is no big deal either ?

many here are getting their shorts all knotted up over the dui aspect of the incident-lets forget that and presume that the guns were not properly 'stored' -do I understand that this is no big deal either ?

Why should it be? Probably 45+ states have no firearm storage laws.

Florida's storage law is something alone the lines that if a child gets access to a firearm without breaking into your home AND something bad happens, then you face a criminal penalty. But the mere fact that you didn't store a gun locked up isn't a crime in and of itself.

Just because something is arguably a wise thing to do doesn't necessarily mean it should be a crime if you don't do it.

Last edited:
Wait, you’re not supposed to be drunk with guns? Where is that in the bill of rights?!

What other meaningless feel good laws do you feel law enforcement should continue to enforce for the safety of society?

What other meaningless feel good laws do you feel law enforcement should continue to enforce for the safety of society?
All laws can be explained when examined through the lens of the opposition's goal. In a battle, you take territory wherever you can get it, however small. In politics it's much harder to take territory back once lost that defend it. An example is the 15 round mag limit in Colorado. Two successful recalls, one forced resignation, and ZERO attempts in the legislature to repeal the bill. A bill to provide a competition exemption was killed 7-4 in committee, which demonstrates the other side is not about "reasonable" but "taking and holding territory".

Anything that makes gun owners life difficult, or increases the chances a legal gun owner will morph into a prohibited person for a technical violation, is territory and reinforces the anti-gun owner culture. The opposition is not against guns - it is against us, our freedom and out individualistic rather than collectivist belief system.

Last edited:
Consider storage laws in a different light. My wife and I have no kids. No nieces and nephews nearby. No friends with small kids. We keep our doors locked. We are both licensed.

Suppose one day I was working on a gun, maybe mounting a red dot, and had the safe door open. A sudden call of nature causes me to go upstairs to the bathroom and I leave the gun on the workbench and the safe door open. A few minutes later, I go back downstairs, finish working on the gun, put it away and close the safe door. Under MA law, that scenario would likely be a felony punishable by many years in prison, even though no one was harmed and the risk to society was infinitesimally small. Would jailing me for doing that help improve MA society? Or would it be a pointless punishment?

If someone had small children in the house, then it might be prudent to behave differently.

Last edited:
Consider storage laws in a different light. My wife and I have no kids. No nieces and nephews near by. No friends with small kids. We keep our doors locked. We are both licensed.

Suppose one day I was working on a gun, maybe mounting a red dot, and had the safe door open. A sudden call of nature causes me to go upstairs to the bathroom and I leave the gun on the workbench and the safe door open. A few minutes later, I go back downstairs, finish working on the gun, put it away and close the safe door. Under MA law, that scenario would likely be a felony punishable by many years in prison, even though no one was harmed and the risk to society was infinitesimally small. Would jailing me for doing that help improve MA society? Or would it be a pointless punishment?

If someone had small children in the house, then it might be prudent to behave differently.
Depending on the department, you might get prosecuted if you had severe chest pain, could only do one thing before passing out, and chose to call 911 instead of locking the safe.

Last edited:
Wait, you’re not supposed to be drunk with guns? Where is that in the bill of rights?!
I think the Bill of Rights was WRITTEN by people who were drunk, with guns.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpuf7sSXkdw

Today's Hearing:

"The State Police colonel’s son is being charged with improper storage of a firearm, a clerk magistrate ruled today in a Cape Cod court."

So no DUI charge.
Do You Know Who I Am? goes a long way in Mass...

As the Herald previously reported, Mason was called to court to determine if he improperly stored his guns after reportedly being found asleep in his car after a night out in Hyannis — his guns were in the vehicle.​
...​
... two plainclothes police officers in an unmarked cruiser came upon a black Jeep Wrangler outside a Hyannis business a little after midnight on Feb. 28 while doing a patrol. ... They allegedly observed firearms in the passenger-side front seat and found a total of five unloaded ...​

Oooh, baby! No alcohol/gun-law violation.

... firearms in the vehicle ...​

Were they under his control?
Did they search the trunk? If so, did he consent to the search?

Here's the defense attorney: Massachusetts Criminal Defense Lawyer - Cape Cod - Barnstable County Defense Attorney - Massachusetts OUI Lawyer

While he was a DA in Suffolk County, he worked as Chief District Court Prosecutor
in (among other things) the Gun Unit.

But that doesn't make him a Gun Lawyer.

OMG, look at Ch. 140 §131C: Carrying of firearms in a vehicle

(a) No person carrying a loaded firearm under a license issued pursuant to section 131 or 131F shall carry the loaded firearm in a vehicle unless the loaded firearm while carried in the vehicle is under the direct control of the person. Whoever violates this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.​
(b) No person possessing a large capacity rifle or shotgun under a license issued pursuant to section 131 or 131F shall possess the large capacity rifle or shotgun in a vehicle unless the large capacity rifle or shotgun is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of the vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates this subsection shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000.​

Five guns. How many handguns, how many LC longarms, how many small-cap longarms?

Strewing unloaded handguns and small-cap longarms around the passenger compartment,
glove compartment, or unlocked trunk of an occupied vehicle is probably legal. I at least would
expect our good gun lawyers to be able to try and make the case.

... and an assortment of ammunition in two backpacks.​

WGAF?

Imagine finding the son of police brass stinking drunk, with guns all over his car.

Were the arresting cops sharp enough to not try for a field sobriety test,
not take lab alcohol tests, and claim the guns were all unloaded
because they knew the remaining evidence lacked at least one element
for every possible DUI and gun charge?

Maybe they're giving the drunk kid a ride he can't beat,
to satisfy public scrutiny, while secure in the knowledge that
he won't get convicted on anything.
That leaves "suitability". Well, how much pull does the father have?

Howie covered this for the first half of the 6 o'clock hour yesterday evening.

Son Of Mass State Police Colonel And Victim Of A Bad Ice Cube Gets Charged – 5.24.22 – Hour 4

And the results are epic:
  • The son and father went to a range for some target shooting.
  • Then they went to the 19th Hole Tavern in Hyannis, and the son got wasted.
  • At 12:15AM, the cops did a "security check" of the bar parking lot.
  • They spotted the son slumped over in the driver's seat, partially hanging out of the driver's side door.
    • Howie says that the temperature is in the 20's.
  • The cops said that the son was "extremely disoriented".
  • Afterthe cops made the son get out of the car, they "located" 5 guns in the front passenger seat "area", and two backpacks containing ammo.
    • No testimony on whether guns were visible from outside the car.
    • No testimony on whether the son locked all the car doors immediately upon exiting.
    • No testimony on whether the son gave consent for a search.
  • The son got a ride home "from a family member".
    • Howie's pounding hard on whether it was his father - the MSP colonel - who gave him a ride home.
      • Howie's FOIAing the father's work cell phone log.
      • Howie's questioning the MSP whether the father drove his personal cruiser to pick him up.
  • The son is not charged with DUI. There's no testimony about the location of the car keys, or of Sidewalk Olympics, a curbside breathalyzer test, or laboratory breath/blood tests.
  • The son is not charged with carrying a loaded firearm while under the influence, probably because the second police report says about "allfirearms" at the time of one cop's initial encounter "at no point was there a round in the chamber and a magazine seated in the firearm".
    • The first police report says nothing about the state of the firearms.
  • The son is jacked up on improper storage (not transport) because HE WAS TOO DRUNK TO EXERCISE CONTROL OVER THE FIVE GUNS IN THE FRONT PASSENGER SEAT "AREA" WHILE PARTIALLY HANGING OUT OF THE DRIVER'S SIDE DOOR. HIS LEVEL OF INTOXICATION COMPROMISED HIS ABILITY TO IMMEDIATELY REACH THE FIREARMS.
  • On 22-Mar-22, the cops went to the son's house, and confiscated a 20ga. Bennelli Montefeltro. The son signed a Barnstable PD firearms donation/surrender form.
    • There's no suggestion the gun was in the car; conclusion: his LTC is suspended.

Bonus:
Today Howie said that one of the five handguns the son had in the car
was a Glock 17 whose "registered owner" still can't be found.

In other words, there's no eFA-10 for it.

How do you suppose that happened?

Howie got in to it a little during the last hour today.

Among other things, more on the "unregistered Glock 19".

Also, the owner of the 19th Hole Tavern in Barnstable
is the brother of the previous colonel in charge of RISP; go figure.

And Howie clarified for a caller (or for everyone) that
what rubs his rhubarb about the whole affair is that
the head of Mass State Police fired whole swaths of Staties
who wouldn't get the jab - even though at this point it
arguably is substantially ineffective
- but it sure looks like
he wants his son to get special treatment.

Granholm and Sullivan lock horns on oil leases and Mass State Police Colonel's Son Charged - 5.25.22 - Hour 4

This time I put the cursor at the start of the topic.

there is no requirement to "register".

He could have bought it while living out of state legally and brought it back to MA (we all know the law on that)

The guns were unloaded, that is going to take a lot of wind out of the sails of the charges IMHO

Chances are his permit is gone for a while unless a Judge tells the COP to reinstate it, and I do't know if the Judge has the authority to do that... I'll leve that to the Lawyers to answer.

Back
Top Bottom