• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MTM Ammo Can

OPM

Please share your thoughts and experiences on using MTM Ammo Can for ammo storage. I have the MTM Muzzleloader Dry Box and it is very strong high quality box. It’s at least 2 times larger than my surplus .30 caliber ammo can, yet it’s 3 times lighter. I can only see 2 downsides to MTM. 1) In the fire it will burn much faster than surplus. 2) It costs a few bucks more.

Any feedback? Which would you choose for long-term storage?

PS – searched and did not find any posts about MTM. If I missed, please post a link. Thanks.

1) I wouldn't worry about "in a fire" performance: in either case, the ammo will cook off and ruin the can.

2) I have MTM plastic products going back to the 70s and they are still like brand new. Quality stuff.

I have the MTM muzzleloader box as well. They are very good quality. I still prefer .50 cal ammo cans for storage though.

RE - RKG: Yes, you are right, in case of a major fire I am likely screwed either way. So metal vs. plastic is not a big deal. Neither is the cost. I only need a few cans and the price difference is only $4, so for me, it is not a deterrent.

RE - Mike_Diako: Why do you prefer .50 can? I do not own 50 only 30, but I presume they are similar with 50 being larger and heavier. If so, I like MTM better. 1) It has a much better handle; 2) it is much easier to open/close; 3) it is designed to be stackable; 4) it has 2 padlocks (for me this is not important); and 5) I think that plastic will keep inside temperature more constant than a metal box.

In my mind MTM is clear winner. So my real question – is the long term storage in a plastic worse than in metal? Is there some chemical reaction that could be harmful to the ammo? Plastic seems like the better material, yet the army still makes their boxes out of steal. Why? What do they know that I don’t?

RE - Mike_Diako: Why do you prefer .50 can? I do not own 50 only 30, but I presume they are similar with 50 being larger and heavier. If so, I like MTM better. 1) It has a much better handle; 2) it is much easier to open/close; 3) it is designed to be stackable; 4) it has 2 padlocks (for me this is not important); and 5) I think that plastic will keep inside temperature more constant than a metal box.

In my mind MTM is clear winner. So my real question – is the long term storage in a plastic worse than in metal? Is there some chemical reaction that could be harmful to the ammo? Plastic seems like the better material, yet the army still makes their boxes out of steal. Why? What do they know that I don’t?

To be honest, I prefer the metal cans due to the fact that they are more heavy duty. I like the way they stack as well. The Cabelas boxes have rounded corners so they don't stack as well. more wasted space.

Mike, that is a good point. MTM are not rectangular so side-by-side there’ll be more wasted space. I had not thought about that before your post. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom