• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Multiple victims in Oxford High School shooting, Oakland County Sheriff confirms

Lol, good luck to them on that, considering the average family doesnt have enough money to really be a good ambulance chaser
target. Not to mention in a lot of these cases a lot of the money gets pissed away on criminal defense attorneys etc.... they always get the first
slice.

I agree completely, the defense will eat up a bunch unless their is a guilty plea. Between 3 dead and 8 others injured, just medical costs would be a sizable judgement. If the family has a second summer house, business, etc it’s all going.

The interesting thing will be whether this kid pleads guilty or wants to fight it. There are dozens of witnesses, maybe security footage etc so his guilt isn’t questionable. Would he try some insanity defense that has zero chance to work ? He’s under 18 and thanks to a SCOTUS ruling 10 years ago, he cannot be given a automatic life sentence without parole. And his age being 15, even a 50 year sentence means he’s getting out. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him charged for the 3 murders, 8 attempted and dozens of armed assaults, weapon charges, etc and sentenced consecutively to 185 years in prison before eligible for parole.

Absolutely. Dad buys the Sig 4 days ago and son takes it and shoots up a school. The parents are going to be sued for every dime they have (and should be).
Suing the parents won't bring back the kids that got killed. drgrant is right when he says there won't be any money after the family gets through defending themselves. And there are many unanswered questions, like how did a 15 year old kid get his hands on the pistol? But this is gong to become a ripe opportunity for Moms Demand Action and the rest of the gun-control gang to jump yet again on law-abiding gun owners with both feet and try to make the most out of this tragedy.

Suing the parents won't bring back the kids that got killed. drgrant is right when he says there won't be any money after the family gets through defending themselves. And there are many unanswered questions, like how did a 15 year old kid get his hands on the pistol? But this is gong to become a ripe opportunity for Moms Demand Action and the rest of the gun-control gang to jump yet again on law-abiding gun owners with both feet and try to make the most out of this tragedy.

The moms demand harp on everything and it goes no where. The only place anyone possibly listens to them is a blue state, Michigan isn’t one of them. What are they going to yap about, storage laws? Obviously the parents didn’t have common sense, a storage law isn’t fixing that. Michigan legislature is controlled by the GOP, they’re not passing gun control laws

Safe storage laws undoubtedly will be at the forefront. As to suing the parents, I hope to never be in the shoes of the families that lost kids to this, and could understand if they wanted to sue these parents into oblivion if the parents indeed knew their kid was unstable.

I remember reading a story of a dad who conducted periodic fire drills at home with his young children. He stressed to his young daughter that if he couldn't get to her she was instructed to open her bedroom window, climb out onto the roof of the garage, and jump to the ground. During one such drill he asked her to practice that. She couldn't open the window by herself. He said "Well then, in an actual fire, take something and break the glass out." His daughter said "I can't do that! I would get into so much trouble!"

I can see some students having the same thought process.

Hell, years ago (15?) I took a handgun course at Sig. Nearing the end of Day 2. I did a walk-down, go sideways, walk-backwards drill while firing at the target. They had NEVER discussed misfires at all. And it was this questionable frangible ammo at the time. So no discussion.

I go CLICK. I know there is a round in there. I forget why 15 years later, but I KNOW there is a round in there. All that range time and safety classes. "KEEP THE FIREARM POINITED DOWN RANGE AND COUNT TO 30!" So I keep moving and stop shooting.

The guy LOST HIS MIND with me. TapRackBang, I was back in teh game.

"What were you thinking?"

"This is a range. I'm supposed to wait 30 seconds."

He realized that it was safety training kicking in and had to remove that from our vernacular for the day.

So, yeah, I could totally see people wondering HOW to get out of a blocked window for sure.

Everytown has switched from battling for more gun control in one US Senate and one NRA to battling for more gun control in all 50 states. It looks like they have 4 parents to sue the gun shop and SIG Sauer for selling and making a mass shooting weaon. There’s the deep pockets.

Charging him with terrorism now, but the details leading to this charge are not appropriate for discussion at this time. 🤔 Strange. It's almost as if they don't want to tell you something. It isn't as though the news fears jumping to conclusions.

I read an article yesterday a parent kept their kid home because of the threat of violence. I think we’re going to find out school officials knew there were credible threats but did nothing. Like almost every mass shooting people knew and did nothing.

I read an article yesterday a parent kept their kid home because of the threat of violence. I think we’re going to find out school officials knew there were credible threats but did nothing. Like almost every mass shooting people knew and did nothing.
From what I read yesterday there were multiple threats made and the school downplayed it and didn’t notify anybody.

From what I read yesterday there were multiple threats made and the school downplayed it and didn’t notify anybody.

That’s what I read. No need to overreact but it sounds like they ignored the threats completely. I hope that is looked into

There’s something to be said for securing your firearm - more fodder for the "safe storage laws" gun control advocates.

... the average family doesnt have enough money to really be a good ambulance chaser target. Not to mention in a lot of these cases a lot of the money gets pissed away on criminal defense attorneys etc.... they always get the first slice.
The value of the shooter's parents homeowners liability policy
can end up funding a lot of harassment by victims' lawsuits.

... there are many unanswered questions, like how did a 15 year old kid get his hands on the pistol?
I'ma go out on a limb and speculate wildly that
the shooter's parents aren't exactly rocket surgeons.

Wild guess:
Opened the manufacturer's plastic pistol box sitting on a shelf in the man cave.

... I took a handgun course at Sig. ... I go CLICK. I know there is a round in there. ... All that range time and safety classes. "KEEP THE FIREARM POINITED DOWN RANGE AND COUNT TO 30!" So I keep moving and stop shooting.

The guy LOST HIS MIND with me. TapRackBang, I was back in teh game. ...
(Holding out for an anecdote of TapRackBangHangfirefloorpop -
the ejected troublesome round popping (harmlessly)
a while after it comes to rest on the range floor; because hangfire).

Was Ethan bullied?
He may think he was bullied...
...but wait until he's in GenPop after sentencing.

"Karen D. McDonald, the Oakland County prosecutor, said on Wednes-day the teen is being charged with first-degree murder and terrorism in connection with Tuesday’s mass shooting at Oxford High School, located about 40 miles north of Detroit."

Terrorism? 1st Degree Murder, sure. But a terrorism charge cheapens the definition of terrorism. How many students of Islam shoot up their own mosque?

"Karen D. McDonald, the Oakland County prosecutor, said on Wednes-day the teen is being charged with first-degree murder and terrorism in connection with Tuesday’s mass shooting at Oxford High School, located about 40 miles north of Detroit."

Terrorism? 1st Degree Murder, sure. But a terrorism charge cheapens the definition of terrorism. How many students of Islam shoot up their own mosque?
Cheapening definitions is what they do. Look at what they've done for "pandemic."

How hard is it to not leave your guns out when you have kids in the house? I mean there are hundreds of different quick safes that you can pick from. If that was my child, that kids father wouldn't be breathing right now.

"Police on Tuesday arrested the suspect at Oxford High School after he fired more than 30 shots from a 9mm semiautomatic handgun there over a period of about five minutes, officials said. He is in police custody at a juvenile detention center."

As always. facts vary wildly early on, with articles saying more than six shots fired, two 15rd mags with 7 rounds remaining, etc.

"Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard said in a televised interview Wednesday that the teenage suspect had intended to kill his victims. “He was shooting people at close range, oftentimes towards the head or chest,” he said. Mr. Bouchard said that the motives of the suspect were still unknown and that an investiga-tion is under way."

The Stop the Bleed TQ thing stems from military engagements, where anyone wearing body armor not blown to bits or crushed bleeds out from limb wounds shot from longer distances. Mass killers shoot up close to the head and COM. Oddly enough, more victims can be saved with chest seals than TQs in mass shootings, say those who study the events. But chest seals are not part of the STB program, unfortunately. CAT TQs and QuikClot sponsor most STB training events with Am College of Surgeons training - neither sell chest seals.

The value of the shooter's parents homeowners liability policy
can end up funding a lot of harassment by victims' lawsuits.
Most homeowners policies have $300K - $500K liability limits, some up to $1Mil which in the scheme of things doesn't amount to much when there are four fatalities and multiple injuries involved. The insurance company will deny the claim and say that no amount of negligence on the parents part caused the child to commit a crime, and homeowners liability doesn't cover criminal acts. Most lawyers will understand that there won't be an enormous settlement and many will pass, but there will probably be some who will do it for the publicity or for a cause. In the end, a jury will probably decide in favor of the plaintiffs and the insurance carrier may end up paying up to the limit of liability. If it's a $300K or $500K limit they'll go through the motions but won't waste a lot of money defending it. No one is getting rich off the parents homeowners policy.

As I mentioned in another thread 2 weeks ago, my son had "active shooter" drill at Taunton High. He knows the real drill - GTFO. Active shooter - just get out. Don't wait in some "locked" room for a halfwit to come in and blow you away. First floor? Go out window.

Good to see in Michigan, some parents teach the same thing. All this "peaceful as hindu cows" BS training is dumb.

My school trains exactly this way. It's called ALICE, and it emphasizes egress at the earliest opportunity. We go through drills every year on how to break windows properly.

The "hide and pray" drill used to be the only option schools would accept, but that was years ago now. A lot has changed in this field, and plenty of schools teach/practice more useful things than turning the lights off and crossing your fingers.

I'm not familiar with school laws there, but sometimes it's a catch-22. Schools can get themselves in real liability if they raise an alarm that turns out to be a nothingburger, and the truth is that the VAST majority of these things are nothingburgers.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Most homeowners policies have $300K - $500K liability limits, some up to $1Mil ... Most lawyers will understand that there won't be an enormous settlement ... but there will probably be some who will do it ... In the end, a jury will probably decide in favor of the plaintiffs and the insurance carrier may end up paying up to the limit of liability. If it's a $300K or $500K limit they'll go through the motions but won't waste a lot of money defending it. No one is getting rich off the parents homeowners policy.
It's all about the ride.

Obviously the parents have failed to raise their kid properly. Parents would not be so negligent if government schools were abolished and they chose and paid for their kids' schooling directly. Public schools enable parents to offload the burden of raising their kids to the government in a vicious circle of laziness, exploitation, and corruption.

It's all about the ride.
For $300k, $500k or even $1mil in a case like this, the insurance company will write a check and be done with it. There won’t be any ride and it sure as shit isn’t going to make anyone wealthy. When my sis was killed by a hit & run driver in September, her car insurance company didn’t even bat an eye at paying out the $250k Uninsured Auto policy limit. When fatalities are involved, let alone multiple ones, they’re not going to spend much time & energy defending it for a couple/few hundred grand.

Back
Top Bottom