• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Murphy and Cornyn seem to have agreed on some New Gun Control...

Are there any ex-post-facto issues associated with increasing the adverse consequences of a conviction or guilty plea by using records the defendant was told were totally sealed or expunged at age of majority. Implementation of the Lautenberg amendment would suggest the answer is no.
390532A0-8BF7-4CE2-B3B1-305EF20EEB26.jpeg

I think there are ways to design a system with safeguards in it that work well for both sides, but the problems are four-fold:

1- Nobody wants to pay for it (to do this properly will cost a lot of money, AKA the american skinflint conundrum, although we seem to skip that problem when bailing out negligent borrowers or bombing brown people, but I digress)

2- Nobody has the balls to actually try to implement it- it involves some risks and complexity.

3-Anti gunners wont profit enough from it because it likely wouldnt increase the # of disqualified persons that much, and if done properly it would facilitiate certain groups of people to own
firearms again that had become DQed previously.

4- Government is generally shit and has this fun habit of f***ing up and contorting everything it touches, especially when most laws are shit and poorly written in a vague manner that allows for a lot of interpretation by (insert some shitty federal agency that should probably be shut down or cut in half here). Then we get executive office faggotry where every time the president changes suddenly the posture of the entire mental health system will change. Thats completely and utterly f***ed.
5 — it’s a Trojan horse…all it takes is a tweak of some verbiage to include “extremists” in Red Flag language down the road and anyone who doesn’t swear allegiance to the DNC will be subject to confiscation.

5 — it’s a Trojan horse…all it takes is a tweak of some verbiage to include “extremists” in Red Flag language down the road and anyone who doesn’t swear allegiance to the DNC will be subject to confiscation.

That's really part of #4, if you dont design a set of laws with the "hatch welded shut" they will just take it and f*** it up to suit their political needs that month.

“The group on the release includes
Republican Sens. John Cornyn of Texas,
Thom Tillis and Richard Burr of North Carolina,
Roy Blunt of Missouri,
Bill Cassidy of Louisiana,
Susan Collins of Maine,
Lindsey Graham of South Carolina,
Rob Portman of Ohio,
Mitt Romney of Utah and
Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania.” – CNN reported.

Actually, the government has been willing to do that since about 1964 or so, but it's more like an enhanced sear. All you have to do is join up.
Problem with military, if you deploy to a warzone/peace keeping mission, there's no way you don't have some level of PTSD. If mental evaluations get out of control, joining the military could be a de facto prohibition. I know stuff I saw back in the day still hangs onto me, just doing LEO work. I know guys who were active that saw worse.

Problem with military, if you deploy to a warzone/peace keeping mission, there's no way you don't have some level of PTSD. If mental evaluations get out of control, joining the military could be a de facto prohibition. I know stuff I saw back in the day still hangs onto me, just doing LEO work. I know guys who were active that saw worse.

Meh. PTSD rates usually trend at about 4-6% globally, regardless of what population you're talking about, and the military rate is estimated at around 12-15%. Sure, that's triple the global rate, and that's an issue, but it still means 85 out of every 100 deployed soldiers are well-adjusted enough to avoid symptoms.

I was in a warzone myself, and saw some pretty horrific stuff. It's never stuck with me. Heck, I saw pretty gruesome shit even at Ft Bragg; I remember it, but it doesn't trigger any kind of PTSD. I'm sure not everyone is like me, but not everyone is like you, either.

Well it appears to be official: everyone hates the government.

C4MOM0R.png

🐯

“The group on the release includes
Republican Sens. John Cornyn of Texas,
Thom Tillis and Richard Burr of North Carolina,
Roy Blunt of Missouri,
Bill Cassidy of Louisiana,
Susan Collins of Maine,
Lindsey Graham of South Carolina,
Rob Portman of Ohio,
Mitt Romney of Utah and
Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania.” – CNN reported.
10. So with McConnell that makes 11. Enough to assure passage.

Unsealing BGCs will take more than 3 days, so that’s automatically extending BGCs beyond the 3 day limit for 18-21 year olds. And then, why not for everyone? 😡

William Shakespeare on gun control:

Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

It's from Macbeth, but seems fitting

Last edited:
Cool!! Looks like the Repubs want to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory again!!! I'd ask if these morons can be this stupid to agree to pass gun control mere months before an election where they're expected to clean up, but I know the answer to that already. Fools

Unsealing BGCs will take more than 3 days, so that’s automatically extending BGCs beyond the 3 day limit for 18-21 year olds. And then, why not for everyone? 😡

This is another reason why I think they'll "incentivize the states" to do this, rather than doing it themselves.

Constitutionally, I'd be surprised if the Feds even could order states to unseal their juvie records. You'd need a SCOTUS ruling for that, I think; I'm not sure I understand a way that Congress can do it themselves. They do have the power of the purse, though, and it doesn't harm them at all to make the states do their dirty work.

So pretty much we are dependent on Manchin or Sinema voting no on this and Manchin is best buds with Toomey.

Don't hold your breath waiting for either of them. They both already signed off as being OK with this along with the 10 Repubs referenced earlier.

Seems like a done deal, unless the Donks go off the rails trying to make it way to broad or sneak other BS things in

Problem is setting up a system which does not solve the fatal flaw of giving the judge the choice between posting his/her reputation at risk by denying an order vs. assuring they cannot ever be lambasted for not issuing an order for someone who goes on to do evil.

Do judges care about reputation?

They have absolute immunity so it’s not like they’re going to get in any real trouble.

If judges cared about their reputations, The Institute for Justice would be out of work.

This whole “mental health” thing is such an absurd distraction.

Does anyone think Any of the vucked up psychopaths who shoot up schools or nightclubs or supermarkets or concerts wouldn’t have done it if they only had access to someone to listen to them?

But it’s not, and has never been, about access to mental health. If it was, red flag laws would have provisions for a psych evaluation rather than just stealing guns.

It’s about adding more subjective / arbitrary disqualifiers.

It's just amazing to watch a party use its entire voice and platform to convince everyone, but especially kids, that they are always confused about their identity, are unhappy, that everything "normal" is bad, that every small issue should be indulged, that this country is fundamentally flawed, and that anything wrong is someone else's fault. Then come in with the need to "do something" in the wake of this messaging.

I believe the old analog is finding out the arsonist is a firefighter.

From what I'm hearing from family members, coworkers, and other assorted lefties, the Left is going to be madder about this than the Right. It doesn't go nearly far enough for most of them.

They're not well-schooled on red flag laws or background checks. Most are hung up on Evil Black Rifles, and won't tolerate anything short of an AWB revival.

Mental health? I’m good with that.

Hardening schools? Good with that also.

Enhanced BG checks for 18-21? Not sure what that entails, but I don’t really see the need for it.

Red flag laws? I’d be ok with them except for the opportunity for abuse. On face value it makes sense to a point. If my neighbor has been smoking meth all day and has a pistol in his waistband while talking to satan, I’d call the cops before someone got hurt. Yeah the cops might shoot him, but I have no control over that.
Don't be on the red flag laws .
Their sole purpose is to be abused.
Why do you think they stripped all the penalties for false reporting out ?

What is the "boyfriend loophole" in this new bill? We've had the "gun show loophole", the "Charleston loophole" and now this one. Seems kinda sexist.

It's just amazing to watch a party use its entire voice and platform to convince everyone, but especially kids, that they are always confused about their identity, are unhappy, that everything "normal" is bad, that every small issue should be indulged, that this country is fundamentally flawed, and that anything wrong is someone else's fault. Then come in with the need to "do something" in the wake of this messaging.

I believe the old analog is finding out the arsonist is a firefighter.
allow me to paraphrase:

Democrat psychos and pedos f***ed up the kids, and the most severely f***ed up of those kids commit mass murder.

Maybe hanging the balls of a dozen trannies in the faces of 4 year olds and encouraging them to allow Democrats to cut off their genitalia and filling their heads with horseshit and malcontent is a bad idea?

I wonder what concession the GOP got on this.

Could they have re-opened the machine gun registration window?
Could they have gotten the AFT (intentional ;)) to back off on 80%?

No, we all know compromise only goes one way.

You want to know how the GOP could possibly lose in November - this is how.

Remember all those 'off the books' items we don't have - now is the time to make sure they are well hidden, off site, with all needed supplies and accessories.

Does anyone think Any of the vucked up psychopaths who shoot up schools or nightclubs or supermarkets or concerts wouldn’t have done it if they only had access to someone to listen to them?
Honestly? Yes, I do. Obviously not all of them.

Notably, I think that school aged kids attacking schools represent a different community than adults attacking adults (e.g., churches, nightclubs, supermarkets, etc.). I believe at least some of the former group would have benefitted from early intervention and appropriate emotional support. I maintain that many of those are, in effect, copy-cat murder-suicide events and are subject to many of the same drivers that are why we've all but stopped reporting on adolescent suicides.

The elephant in the room, as others mention, is that our system is completely designed to push you away from seeking or accepting actual support.

Back
Top Bottom