Murphy's Law and shooting

SKS Ray

NES Member
I woke up this morning pretty gung ho for shooting and never got to go.[sad2]
I had plans to follow Madmarc and some of his friends to a local range I had never been to and shoot some semi auto milsurps. I planned on bringing and finally getting to shoot my Hakim, plus some other semi autos I have that don't get much trigger time. Then the first set back happened. My mother in law wound up cancelling out plans to baby sit my daughter. This definitely put a damper on plans because I couldn't find another sitter in time to go. Then finally a few hours later she came by, picked my daughter up and I was free to go. I figured I'd at least get some time in at the range I belong to in Rochester and get to shoot the Hakim and my Romak 3 with some non corrosive Wolf ammo so I grabbed my gear and headed out.
Heres where set back 2 comes into play. After a nice long drive through the country roads of Acushnet and Rochester I was only a few minutes from the range. Weather was great, wind was calm, and I knew I'd probably have the whole place to myself since most people were working today. Then it hit me.... did I put my access card in my range bag after my last shooting trip?!? I pulled over with the gates in sight and dug through my bag to find no access card. [crying] See where I shoot theres access through the club house only using a card key that unlocks the door. Its to keep track of who's been there for security reasons, etc. I pulled up to the gates hoping to see someone there and like I figured... whole place to myself, but I couldn't get in.
Driving back the 20 minute ride I pondered the thought of grabbing my card off the gun bench and coming back but I was already pissed, low on gas, and found another surprise waiting for me when I got home. A huge pile of crushed stone in my drive way that a friend of mine dumped so I could spread out in the back yard. I had totally forgot about it coming untill I saw it it sitting there. Screw it I figured, I'll do it later, I'm goin' shooting! I went in the house, got my card and headed back out.
Set back three on the way. I pull into the gas station a mile or so away from my house and realize I've forgotten my cash at home!! After sitting in line in the hot sun waiting my turn I couldn't take anymore. I whipped past the pumps, came home, put my gear in the hallway and shoveled, carted, and spread stone for nearly 3 hours. Its now 6 pm, i'm sore, tired, and tomorrow's forecast says rainy weather.[sad2]
So how was everyone else's Monday?

Milsurps 4 Me said:
I woke up this morning pretty gung ho for shooting and never got to go.[sad2] (snip) So how was everyone else's Monday?
Same pain. Got to the So. Berwick range today at 10, and it was just too packed to shoot. Maybe tomorrow's weather will scare off the crowd a bit.

Wanted to try out the scope I put on the 1895 Guide gun; and the Contender's red dot is a bit off. Maybe tomorrow will be a good day to feed them both some 45-70.

Hakim. Is that 8x57mm? IIRC, it is a licensed version of the AG-42 Ljungman?

Ray P said:
Hakim. Is that 8x57mm? IIRC, it is a licensed version of the AG-42 Ljungman?

Not sure what you mean by licensed version but it is Egyptian and made after the Ljungman and yes its 8mm. Here I was hoping to shoot it today again but instead and being dragged to a BBQ by my wife. Worst thing about this BBQ is that one of the family members on my wife's side that always goes received a trunk of WW2 German goodies a while back inclduing a K98 rifle and a Luger or two and he tells me about them every time I see him and refuses to sell.[sad]
The 4 day weekend just gets better and better. At least i'm not at work.[wink]

Just meant that as "Made in Egypt under license from AB C.J. Ljungmans Verkstäder company of Malmö Sweden." Looks like the Egyptians did change the caliber from 6.5x55 to 8x57.

he tells me about them every time I see him and refuses to sell.
Will he at least let you shoot them?

SiameseRat said:
I still can't shoot yet, my hand hasn't recovered from being surgerized. [crying]
That sucks, SR. I hope your recovery goes well.
Couple of years back, I shattered my left wrist, aloong with a few other bones. When I finally got the stabilizer out of my wrist, and could manage stairs, I tried to operate the slide on my 1911a1. No go [crying] .

Hell, even after a year of OT, shooting weak-hand in IDPA brought a real twinge to my day: "Bang! - Yelp!" "Bang! - Yelp!" "Bang! - Yelp!" The running events were a pain, too.[rofl]

Again, best wishes for a fast & complete recovery!

Sorry to hear that Ray! I guess it was just one of those days, I have them also......
Our range day yesterday at Copicut was awsome! We had the 1919's out and the M2HB all set up under an awning.
I finally got to shoot my SVT and it performed flawlessly, there were Thompsons, M1 carbines, Garands, M16's and a couple of full auto surprises like an RPD and my HK91.
We also had Tannerite for a few fireworks!

We gave my friend Vito a supermatch Garand and he got the tannerite at 100 yards first shot! BOOM!

Next time you will HAVE to go!

Sounds like a great time, MadMarc0! While I do have a mental block against travelling into MA for a shoot*, I'll try for it next year.

*The only MA shoot I've ever attended involved large-bore muzzleloading blackpowder guns out by Springfield. I was crew on a six-pounder if memory serves.

Ray P said:
Sounds like a great time, MadMarc0! While I do have a mental block against travelling into MA for a shoot*, I'll try for it next year.

*The only MA shoot I've ever attended involved large-bore muzzleloading blackpowder guns out by Springfield. I was crew on a six-pounder if memory serves.

Did you have a NR MA LTC for that baby? [devil] [laugh2] [rofl2]

Back
Top Bottom