Muzzle brake issues

btnh6668

NES Member
So i bought two lynx 12 shotguns. I had bought a v6 muzzle brake that had good reviews and it worked great. Ordered another and had the same smith pin it on. I guess they screwed something up and told me they would order another and take care if it which they did. They refused to take payment for the hassle. Fast forward to this weekend where i shot about 60 rounds and this is what the brake looks like.(see pics). Is this something that i can file down and make it work or am i at risk of this thing blowing to pieces?

Attachments

• 20210713_211028.jpg
    20210713_211028.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 20210713_211014.jpg
    20210713_211014.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 20210713_210955.jpg
    20210713_210955.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 79
Wow. Did the shot create those divots in the second pic? I honestly didn't think it would have spread that much by the end of the brake. But I also thought a brake on a shotgun wasn't very useful, so I suppose I'm in no position to provide guidance. Weird though...that last picture looks more like caked up fouling.

Get rid of the brake and buy a recoil pad. The thing is a frag hazard waiting to happen. I would not be shooting that thing with other people standing around.
What you see now is your mild warning.

Just from a fairly quick Google search. The brake is made of aluminum. But some people have complained the shot dings it up because the threads are not concentric to the bore. I would buy a new one and have your smith sort it out. If you really like it.

So… I imagine these will be in the WTS soon enough??? 🤣🤣🤣

Honestly, I can’t say I understand the concept of a brake on a shotgun myself.

+1 for a recoil pad (limbsavers work well)

Also BearTooth Products makes a nice neoprene comb raising kit that makes it more comfortable to shoot.

If it were me, I’d pay the gunsmith to remove the brake and re-crown the barrel. If the guy you used isn’t comfortable with the work, look for a place that specializes in shotguns. Best of luck with it.

Those brakes are really only meant for slugs. If you want the effect of a brake and/or compensator on your shotgun while firing shot shells, have the barrel ported... Armson, Magnaport, Vang, etc are what you're looking for. It's not cheap and might cost as much as a Lynx does these days... Otherwise, pull the comps and put them away for later.

The companies don't say "these are for slugs" but they really are. A lot of the AKish shotguns out there are really intended for places (countries and localities) which have restrictions on semi-auto rifles or rifles in general, and then are loaded with home made slugs, standard hunting and defensive slugs, or very interesting high velocity sabot slugs of the store bought and home brew variety. It's a poor mans black rifle, and a good number of them don't even operate well with shot regardless of the muzzle device.

Apparently, the issue is you need a second one and a double clipazine (skulls optional).

main-qimg-3a8866a09d8b75c9b123b760bb064e9a

There is really only one place for those types of devices..... directly in the nearest trash can.
i would not be that dramatic - with slugs they actually work, i had one on the saiga and it did help with recoil, somewhat.
but, of course, the tacticool factor is mostly why people put them on.
with birdshot you risk of hitting people next to you with this shit when it bounces off the brake end.

i would not be that dramatic - with slugs they actually work, i had one on the saiga and it did help with recoil, somewhat.
with birdshot you risk of hitting people next to you with this shit when it bounces off the brake end.
Still trash.

Or let's put it this way if it had value then why don't rifled slug guns have these mounted on them?

But 12ga slug is somewhere in the 11-12k PSI range. Is that enough for a brake to actually counter recoil? That's like 1/3 9mm and 1/6 556.

Still trash.
Or let's put it this way if it had value then why don't rifled slug guns have these mounted on them?
no clue - i do not do it anymore. :)
quick googling gives this, but, i think all this is indeed mostly an imaginary effect.
worth to note that they only make this 'brake' thing on the cylinder, a rifled slug choke has no such things. i use ported chokes they make, also, for no any specific reason, nor i saw any difference, imaginary or factual, between ported and non-ported chokes.
i did not watch whole thing, but it seems he runs buckshot with this brake? odd if so.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9RbtpIUdj4

Shits gonna come out the ports also, shoot trap and guys with ported barrels are gonna spit random wad and small pieces of crap around.

So i bought two lynx 12 shotguns. I had bought a v6 muzzle brake that had good reviews and it worked great. Ordered another and had the same smith pin it on. I guess they screwed something up and told me they would order another and take care if it which they did. They refused to take payment for the hassle. Fast forward to this weekend where i shot about 60 rounds and this is what the brake looks like.(see pics). Is this something that i can file down and make it work or am i at risk of this thing blowing to pieces?
What barrel restriction is on your shotgun?
Do these brakes match your barrel "choke" size?
Im starting to think theres a reason your gunsmith did not charge.

Like to see how the brake was installed? Was it threaded on, press fit/solder
Maybe Im just getting old, I cant see why you would spend $100+ on a ugly ass brake, $50+ smith fees on a $400 chinese shotgun. Thats just me though.

Its aluminum , buy a cheap harbor frieght tool file and touch it up. I promise you accuracy will not be affected.

Last edited:
What barrel restriction is on your shotgun?
Do these brakes match your barrel "choke" size?
Im starting to think theres a reason your gunsmith did not charge.
The gun smith did not charge because they screwed up the first time and had to redo it. They did my other with the same brake and its been fine shooting the same ammo. Of course the second time around it was someone else who worked on it. That is why it will not go back there to be removed. The brake is advertised for saiga 12 and lynx 12. Its also advertised that you can shoot bird, buck, and slugs through it. No matter i am not taking a chance and its getting removed. $140 lesson.

The gun smith did not charge because they screwed up the first time and had to redo it. They did my other with the same brake and its been fine shooting the same ammo. Of course the second time around it was someone else who worked on it. That is why it will not go back there to be removed. The brake is advertised for saiga 12 and lynx 12. Its also advertised that you can shoot bird, buck, and slugs through it. No matter i am not taking a chance and its getting removed. $140 lesson.
Can you post both brakes side bu side so we can see the install work?
Sucks to have it messed up. I would at least go back and see what if anything they will do for you.
Tou could probably open up that brake a touch internally ?

I brought it to a different gun smith. Although the weld job looked poorly done he thought it was installed correctly. He believes the issue could very well be from factory threads. Either way its getting cut off and capped and thats the end of it. Expensive way to bring it back to factory config but lesson learned.

I brought it to a different gun smith. Although the weld job looked poorly done he thought it was installed correctly. He believes the issue could very well be from factory threads. Either way its getting cut off and capped and thats the end of it. Expensive way to bring it back to factory config but lesson learned.
Why weld it on?

Back
Top Bottom