• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Muzzle brake on .22

I have an opportunity to buy a threaded SS barrel for my 77/22 cheap. I was thinking on picking it up and adding a muzzle brake (realizing it's not going to do squat.)
Couple of questions to help keep me out of trouble:

1) is a threaded barrel legal in Ma on a bolt action rifle?
2) if not, does pinning a muzzle brake on the end make it OK?

Did some search's here and on the MA site and couldn't come up with anything definitive. Most addresses "assault weapons"

Thanks in advance

Thanks Gents, that's what I was thinking but I wanted to be sure. Not worth getting into grief over a .22 project.

Frenchman, you don't understand, I'm going to hand load those .22 lr's to 4000 fps :)

Thanks Gents, that's what I was thinking but I wanted to be sure. Not worth getting into grief over a .22 project.

Frenchman, you don't understand, I'm going to hand load those .22 lr's to 4000 fps :)

The powder fits better if you run it through a mill first. Get it super fine, then pack it in as tightly as you can. When you're ready, you can use my chrono. It said some of my .38spl loads were around 3,800 fps. I may have been too close [wink].

Not being a long gun guy, I can't wrap my head around the need for a brake on a .22 bolt action rifle? How much recoil could there possible be there to begin with? Wouldn't operating the bolt cause more barrel motion?

OP seems serious, so I honestly must be missing something.

Not being a long gun guy, I can't wrap my head around the need for a brake on a .22 bolt action rifle? How much recoil could there possible be there to begin with? Wouldn't operating the bolt cause more barrel motion?

It sounds like a cheap replacement barrel became available, which just happens to be threaded, I suspect for a suppressor. A thread protector or brake would be needed simply to cover the threads.

J

Cool factore I guess.....[rofl]

You can keep it open thread, pat thread protector or install a muzzle device. No need to pin or weld. It is a bolt action gun and doesn't fit into the threaded barrel muzzle device laws

Do you know if a muzzle brake on a 22lr rifle needs to be pinned?
A semi-auto rifle with removable magazines becomes an assault weapon if it has more than one of the "evil" features:
  • folding or collapsible stock
  • pistol grip
  • bayonet lug
  • flash hider or threaded barrel to accept a flash hider
  • grenade launcher
Does your 22 meet that description?

All kidding aside, a brake on a .22 handgun being used for competitive action shooting can be worthwhile. Its not about recoil. Its about the sights coming back down in exactly the same spot that they were before you pressed the trigger.

On a rifle, because of the greatly reduced uncorking pressure, they are pretty useless.

Though they do a nice job as a thread protector and are more useful than just a thread protector because a brake also protects the muzzle.

Though they do a nice job as a thread protector and are more useful than just a thread protector because a brake also protects the muzzle.
Agreed. But boy do they get dirty. I finally decided to remove the FH on mine and install a thread protector.
Same here. I’d guess I have 1500ish rounds through it and holy crap was it fouled up. I’ve got it soaking in Kroil at the moment.
But I’m going to order a thread protector now.
View attachment 398981View attachment 398982View attachment 398983

A semi-auto rifle with removable magazines becomes an assault weapon if it has more than one of the "evil" features:
  • folding or collapsible stock
  • pistol grip
  • bayonet lug
  • flash hider or threaded barrel to accept a flash hider
  • grenade launcher
Does your 22 meet that description?
Haven't built it yet, so have options. Maura clearly stated that .22lr rifles aren't assault rifles, so perhaps not as simple as the above??? Thanks for the reply!

Anyone else want to give their thoughts? Let's say a .22lr rifle has all the above evil features. By Maura's own definition, a rimfire .22lr can not be an assault rifle, thus, it would appear that it doesn't matter what evil features it has???????

Yep, as other's have said, it's not a "Muzzle Brake"... it's a "Carbon Trap"... [rofl2]

Haven't built it yet, so have options. Maura clearly stated that .22lr rifles aren't assault rifles, so perhaps not as simple as the above??? Thanks for the reply!

Anyone else want to give their thoughts? Let's say a .22lr rifle has all the above evil features. By Maura's own definition, a rimfire .22lr can not be an assault rifle, thus, it would appear that it doesn't matter what evil features it has???????
Her statement isn't law. If you want to read tea leaves to her whims, have at it. Personally, I'd recommend the as written path, but I'm not a lawyer.

Back
Top Bottom