• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Muzzle Device Suggestions

I’m looking to replace the birdcage on my Ruger Scout Rifle in 308. I’m looking for a muzzle device that will reduce recoil. I have a Strike Industries J-Comp on my AR that seems to do well. Was thinking of going with the 308 version. Any suggestions?

I’m looking to replace the birdcage on my Ruger Scout Rifle in 308. I’m looking for a muzzle device that will reduce recoil. I have a Strike Industries J-Comp on my AR that seems to do well. Was thinking of going with the 308 version. Any suggestions?
Aero VG6 is a good option. They have a few variants:

Area419 or American Precision Arms

Area419 or American Precision Arms

I have the area419 hellfire on my 6.5 and it works very well

This just got delivered today. It’s going on a Mossberg MVP Patrol. Same concept as the Scout. Got it from Midway. I have the 9mm version on my PC Carbine. Shoots super flat.

i got now the aero lambda on 6.5CM gun - got it on sale at $95, i think - and i like it very much. it reduces recoil very well, and it does not add to the barrel 'whip'.
as soon as i see it again on sale - will get one more for .308.

Aero VG6 is a good option. They have a few variants:

I have the VG6 epsilon on my latest Aero 5.56 build and it works very well. Granted there’s not much recoil with a midlength 16" barrel but still noticeable

I'd stick with the Strike Industries if you already like it. I'm running their triple crown on my ar's, been fine. One benefit is you can use the quick attach SI Opressor blast diverter on their brakes, works well and one device covers 5.56 and .308. I've switched from the MI two chamber brakes for that reason.

Last edited:
MrTwigg had a sweet very pointy comp that was really useful. They rear cutter is also nice.
Noise is not important in today's battle rifle, damage infliction is paramount.

I question the premise here. In a bolt action .308, a muzzle brake IMO is probably silly, unless you are genuinely small framed (ie say < 150 lbs) or disabled. Even then, a pad on the stock may be a better option.

Brakes redirect noise and blast, the wrong way. A flash hider is better as it controls muzzle flip and helps your eyes stay focused.

You just aren't going to shoot it enough, rapidly enough, to need to manage the recoil, which is still mild in .308. IMO

Brakes on these rifles do help with recoil and help the shooter call their own shots. Recoil may not be brutal, but they certainly help for staying on the rifle and seeing your target/impact through the scope.

I question the premise here. In a bolt action .308, a muzzle brake IMO is probably silly, unless you are genuinely small framed (ie say < 150 lbs) or disabled. Even then, a pad on the stock may be a better option.

Brakes redirect noise and blast, the wrong way. A flash hider is better as it controls muzzle flip and helps your eyes stay focused.

You just aren't going to shoot it enough, rapidly enough, to need to manage the recoil, which is still mild in .308. IMO
Eh, depends. You can spot your hits and misses a lot easier with a brake.

Was able to install the comp this morning after work. Here are a couple pics. Hoping to get some ammo loaded in order to shoot it some time this upcoming week. Busy weekend ahead and won’t be able to spend any time at the bench.

C540E31D-1E52-46CE-929B-1603D9C0CCC7.jpeg

AF8F7972-19CE-4953-AE46-65A3AA0BA4E5.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom