• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My boy earned his Green Beret this week.

My 21 year old just finished his Special Forces training.
He started his career as an Army Diver, in a group of 33, he was 1 of 2 still remaining when he failed one of the final "drown tests". Not to be deterred, he studied and was able to pass all needed to be accepted into the Airborne Division/Special Forces. After extensive training he graduated Friday and is now a Green Beret. Next step is language school. I must say we are very proud of our son. On a sad note we had to tell him friday that his grandmother passed away 2 weeks ago.

Good on him!

Farsi and Arabic are completely unrelated, but DLI teaches both.

Yup, my mistake.

I was with my son yesterday and asked him about language training in NC. They do teach some language skills there. Conversational skills so special forces types can converse with locals for intel purposes. Which is an important tool in their skillsets.

Sadly there's no Compagno's NC, although I'm sure there's a great sub shop nearby.

:)

Thanks Rich, I was under the impression his schooling would be around NC could be wrong.
I'll pass on your info.
Hell be finding out his schedule this coming week I'm guessing.

Slightly different school with different goals. I was not aware of the training that special forces often attend. Where they learn to converse with locals. Farsi is tough although as pointed out not a dialect of Arabic as I originally stated.

DLI's program was 18 months of immersion in Arabic. He was an intel guy whose job would involve both conversation and written word.

I know how proud I was of my son. I assume you're feeling the same. Congrats to your son and family!

You done good, Dad.

:)

Congratulations to you and your wife for doing a great job and your son for his conviction and commitment, may he stay safe and badass. wherever his job takes him.

Congratulations to your son. He’s going Campbell I’m assuming, solid place to live for military locations and potentially raise a family.

Pushing language school to a consistent block after the Q is a quality change in my opinion and should give the teams more in house language capabilities.

Thanks Rich, I was under the impression his schooling would be around NC could be wrong.
I'll pass on your info.
Hell be finding out his schedule this coming week I'm guessing.
Language school for Socom is separate from dli and taught in NC, but things change on officers whim trying to make rank on the good idea fairy. Biggest problem peak GWOT was it used to be fit in blocks around other parts of the pipeline and thus not nearly as effective as DLI for non native speakers.

Sounds like your son is getting a full block of instruction and it should be more valuable than a box to check in the process. Sometimes there are good ideas, especially in between major conflicts when time is more of a luxury.

Just a follow up, my son called yesterday to say he was placed on the Dive team, he is ecstatic, as I said in my 1st post his career started with him being an army diver, so being placed on this team is like a dream come true.
Needless to say, we are equally ecstatic to see him realize his dreams.

my nephew passed Ranger School first time, all three phases. As a 20 year old PFC. I pinned his Tab on on his 21st Birthday. He got out (Of 1/75) and is heading to 19th SF now after re-up to NG.
That awesome, my son did ask if I'd be at graduation to pin him, without I doubt I told him.

We went to Georgia this past Friday for our sons Ranger school graduation. From a start of over 300, only a little over 100 passed all 3 phases.
Next is Dive school, and he has sniper school on his radar.
This boy does not slow down and excels in all he does, did I mention we are so Proud of of him.

We were down at Fort Benning for the Best Ranger competition. Learning the Post Commander (Major General Curtis A. Buzzard) was born almost a decade after I graduated Ranger School made me feel pretty damned old.

We walked the Darby Queen obstacle course. Not-so-fond memories!

In the late 1990s, I worked with a mechanical engineer who was a West Point Grad and former Green Beret. His mother was Japanese and his father "American" so he really looked Asian. The Special Forces chose him to study Hungarian and that was to be the area of his expertise. I thought it odd as he would stand out if he tried to blend in with Hungarians.

Back
Top Bottom