• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My dominant eye changed, no longer cross dominant

This is weird. Yeah I'm gonna have to see the eye doctor, but otherwise I have no vision problems or changes to report (minor known astigmatism aside, no glasses, vision normal or a little better when tested last, still seems as such).. I still think my vision is a little better with my left eye even (reportedly was 25/20 left and 20/20 right last test, albeit a few years ago).

Always have been cross dominant. I shoot right handed, close left eye for iron sight rifles, and with magnification - red dots, 1x stuff, both eyes and right. Pistols I learned in my teens (am 43 now) to shoot right handed, left eyed, both open, and always have been kinda OK w/ landing shots on target with pistols, not an outstanding shooter or anything just naturally OK at it with minimal practice (versus rifles where if I'm on my feet and without my upper body planted to the ground, the muscles involved make me perpetually moving and naturally inclined to suck, the heavier the rifle the worse it is).

Well about 2 months ago something happened where I'd been off from shooting for a bit and when I got back around to it I found I'm placing all my shots way left. So I start shooting pistols a lot more, working on mechanics. It helps some, but still favoring it - never had this problem before. Seriously been kinda perplexed, at the point where I think it's time to seek professional help and literally have been trying to make sure nobody sees my used targets and stuff. During this time, frustrated, screwing around (tried all sorts of stuff to throw myself off and reset), I noted if I shoot right eyed, closed left, the problem is basically gone - probably should've concentrated on that odd fact but wrote it off as it's impertinent and that I need to be able to shoot a pistol with both eyes open.

Today I was screwing around with scopes. I realized I could keep both eyes open, using my right eye, with magnification - this is 100% new. I checked and I'm now clearly right eye dominant with the various tests, ie close left eye and no change to what I'm sighting up, close right eye and things shift. Pulling out a pistol, with a little work, I can keep both eyes open using my right but it's very clumsy - kinda have to trick my eyes for a second, close or squint my left then re-open it and I can stay focused on the sight/target via right, but I'm all out of sorts - automatically I draw/sight with my left eye and then I need to screw around to get on target via right, but I do feel I can practice that out pretty quick.

Has anyone ever experienced this? I haven't had a chance to go shoot pistols right eyed, will go do that soon. Does missing always to the left, being right eye dominant but using my left eye, make any sense (I can't figure out how it makes any sense honestly but something is going on here) ?

I actually googled it and thought for sure that would bring something up, but all I could find was that sometimes it just happens or even temporarily. Sure seems freakin weird.
Well, whatever caused it, let's hope it's nothing serious.

No headaches, right?

See an eye doctor @Idoktr promptly for a full dilation. Ignoring something like that could be catastrophic if it serious and not addressed ASAP. May be nothing, but if it isn’t you’ll want to know immediately.

See an eye doctor @Idoktr promptly for a full dilation. Ignoring something like that could be catastrophic if it serious and not addressed ASAP. May be nothing, but if it isn’t you’ll want to know immediately.

Yeah I will, very rare I see one (no pun), that rare occasion like last it's basically some form of irritation that a normal doctor can't diagnose/find. Last time I explained my vision was blurry and they tested me, said it was 25/20, nothing found in eyes, off to eye doc.

Eye doc said minor astigmatism, great vision but scratchy-eyelid-itus caused by dry eyelids apparently - spray this shit on your eyelids, use drops, immediate fix.

Whatever it is, doesn't seem to be changing vision where my left eye is getting weaker. Reading the labels atop my fridge from here, I can make out just a touch more with my left alone than right alone, and better of course with both. That’s normal.

Thinking back though, as a kid I'd complain about headaches at school due to the lights, eye doctors basically said vision is great, sent me home. As an adult I wear sunglasses in basically all daylight conditions except at dusk or in heavy rain I can't makeup my mind. Maybe my eyes are phucked up.

Optical migraine. It can manifest in different ways. I had the scintillating color shifters a few years back. Only my right eye, which sez it's optical as opposed to cerebral. I describe it as Ezekial's biblical "Wheel within a wheel." I'd bet Rugers to donuts that's what ol' Ezekial was experiencing.

They can cause a headache. Been awhile since I searched on this. Grain of salt, etc. Not in your eye though!

Shooting, I self-identify as Bi-Eye, Bi-hand. [rofl]

Surely go get it checked but I think you’ll find nothing wrong and that this happens more than people think. No special class or handicap placard coming your way. If you start thinking Nancy Pelosi is good looking call 911.

This is weird. Yeah I'm gonna have to see the eye doctor, but otherwise I have no vision problems or changes to report (minor known astigmatism aside, no glasses, vision normal or a little better when tested last, still seems as such).. I still think my vision is a little better with my left eye even (reportedly was 25/20 left and 20/20 right last test, albeit a few years ago).

Always have been cross dominant. I shoot right handed, close left eye for iron sight rifles, and with magnification - red dots, 1x stuff, both eyes and right. Pistols I learned in my teens (am 43 now) to shoot right handed, left eyed, both open, and always have been kinda OK w/ landing shots on target with pistols, not an outstanding shooter or anything just naturally OK at it with minimal practice (versus rifles where if I'm on my feet and without my upper body planted to the ground, the muscles involved make me perpetually moving and naturally inclined to suck, the heavier the rifle the worse it is).

Well about 2 months ago something happened where I'd been off from shooting for a bit and when I got back around to it I found I'm placing all my shots way left. So I start shooting pistols a lot more, working on mechanics. It helps some, but still favoring it - never had this problem before. Seriously been kinda perplexed, at the point where I think it's time to seek professional help and literally have been trying to make sure nobody sees my used targets and stuff. During this time, frustrated, screwing around (tried all sorts of stuff to throw myself off and reset), I noted if I shoot right eyed, closed left, the problem is basically gone - probably should've concentrated on that odd fact but wrote it off as it's impertinent and that I need to be able to shoot a pistol with both eyes open.

Today I was screwing around with scopes. I realized I could keep both eyes open, using my right eye, with magnification - this is 100% new. I checked and I'm now clearly right eye dominant with the various tests, ie close left eye and no change to what I'm sighting up, close right eye and things shift. Pulling out a pistol, with a little work, I can keep both eyes open using my right but it's very clumsy - kinda have to trick my eyes for a second, close or squint my left then re-open it and I can stay focused on the sight/target via right, but I'm all out of sorts - automatically I draw/sight with my left eye and then I need to screw around to get on target via right, but I do feel I can practice that out pretty quick.

Has anyone ever experienced this? I haven't had a chance to go shoot pistols right eyed, will go do that soon. Does missing always to the left, being right eye dominant but using my left eye, make any sense (I can't figure out how it makes any sense honestly but something is going on here) ?
Any follow up to report?

Any follow up to report?

Tomorrow I'll go shoot pistols. During the week I'll try to get into the eye doctor - hoping my insurance just kinda works, not that I see any doctor often but I don't "have" an eye doctor since I don't wear glasses or anything.

Might not be cross eyed dominant as thought. One eye could be or was stronger than the other. See an eye doctor. I

Or you could just be happy you're no longer an instructor's nightmare.

It was always funny when we'd tell a trainee to switch hands and suddenly they could shoot.

Do you understand why I would shoot to the left all the sudden under the circumstances? That part I can't figure out, I feel like it shouldn't matter which eye I use. Is it a technically backed sort of theory?

The other detail to report, which I guess sure sounds eye related, is my shooting, just looking at say a used target, appears about the same at 15 and 25 yards, and for me seemed to remain kinda respectable at 40+ yards (given the distance). Like when I pull out a pistol at 50 yards I'm plinking a propane tank about as often as I expect, while at 15 yards my shots are 6 inches left and you wouldn't expect anyone shooting that poorly to hit even a 50 gallon drum at 50 yards.

Back
Top Bottom