• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My Educmacation on BCGs

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
I had recently posted a thread regarding swapping BCGs among different rifles. (AR-15 Bolt Swap Outs) But I was not aware of the different types of AR-15 BCGs and had made a change a while back which might have caused a problem if I had used that rifle.

CAUTION: What follows is a precautionary tale about the dangers of NOT knowing what you don't know.

About a year ago I purchased an AR-STONER AR-15 Nickle Boron BCG. Thinking about making my pre-ban HBAR a bit more reliable I switched it with the BCG which came with that rifle. Did a very cursory function check (mainly manipulating the bolt with the bolt charging handle), it seemed to work okay so I put the rifle away intending to take it out for a test fire in the future. However that never happened.

Fast forward to recently when I started to play around with my Stag AR-15 and thinking about obtaining a similar BCG for that rifle (forgetting what I had done with the HBAR). In my research I came across several references to the early Colts and their "sear blocks". Made me wonder, "What does my Colt have?". I had often heard about sear blocks but had never researched the subject enough to know that my HBAR had one. Did some more research and my old (internet only) friend, Sootch00, schooled me on the different types of AR-15 BCGs, especially the Colt sear block version.

Well, I dug my HBAR out, opened it up, and there it was in all it's glory (sic) was a sear block. With the wrong type of BCG residing in the lower receiver. I quickly closed it up, grabbed a good magazine and half a dozen dummy rounds (making sure that there was NO live ammo anywhere in sight) and did a more rigorous function check, which was a complete cluster-flop. I was able to chamber the first round but could not eject it reliably and pick up another round. Not sure what would have happened if I had tried to do this on a hot range with live rounds. Would I just embarrass myself? Or worse?

So now my original Colt BCG is back in it's HBAR (worked well chambering and ejecting the dummy rounds), ready to go to the range safely. And my AR-STONER AR-15 Nickle Boron BCG is sitting on my work bench eagerly awaiting it's next assignment. And FPrice is just a little more knowledgeable about the proper BCGs for your rifles.

Moral of the story: Always try to be aware of and know what you don't know. Could save yer fourth point of contact some day.

Here's the video which taught me this:

LMT makes a nice semi auto bcg with a shrouded firing pin that will work the Colt sear block in case you want/need to replace the Colt half moon carrier.

THAT was a question which I was going to ask, thanks for the tip.

I learned something new there, was aware of the auto versus semi BCG's but not the colt sear block half moon thing.

Something not mentioned at all here during your musical bolts is headspace checks, which you can be damn sure I'd be doing with any bolt containing Stoner in the brand name.

I learned something new there, was aware of the auto versus semi BCG's but not the colt sear block half moon thing.

Something not mentioned at all here during your musical bolts is headspace checks, which you can be damn sure I'd be doing with any bolt containing Stoner in the brand name.

If you had clicked on the link to my previous thread (AR-15 Bolt Swap Outs) you would have seen that the question of checking headspace WAS addressed, however briefly.

But I am curious as to why you are picking on Stoner in particular.

I had recently posted a thread regarding swapping BCGs among different rifles. (AR-15 Bolt Swap Outs) But I was not aware of the different types of AR-15 BCGs and had made a change a while back which might have caused a problem if I had used that rifle.

CAUTION: What follows is a precautionary tale about the dangers of NOT knowing what you don't know.

About a year ago I purchased an AR-STONER AR-15 Nickle Boron BCG. Thinking about making my pre-ban HBAR a bit more reliable I switched it with the BCG which came with that rifle. Did a very cursory function check (mainly manipulating the bolt with the bolt charging handle), it seemed to work okay so I put the rifle away intending to take it out for a test fire in the future. However that never happened.

Fast forward to recently when I started to play around with my Stag AR-15 and thinking about obtaining a similar BCG for that rifle (forgetting what I had done with the HBAR). In my research I came across several references to the early Colts and their "sear blocks". Made me wonder, "What does my Colt have?". I had often heard about sear blocks but had never researched the subject enough to know that my HBAR had one. Did some more research and my old (internet only) friend, Sootch00, schooled me on the different types of AR-15 BCGs, especially the Colt sear block version.

Well, I dug my HBAR out, opened it up, and there it was in all it's glory (sic) was a sear block. With the wrong type of BCG residing in the lower receiver. I quickly closed it up, grabbed a good magazine and half a dozen dummy rounds (making sure that there was NO live ammo anywhere in sight) and did a more rigorous function check, which was a complete cluster-flop. I was able to chamber the first round but could not eject it reliably and pick up another round. Not sure what would have happened if I had tried to do this on a hot range with live rounds. Would I just embarrass myself? Or worse?

So now my original Colt BCG is back in it's HBAR (worked well chambering and ejecting the dummy rounds), ready to go to the range safely. And my AR-STONER AR-15 Nickle Boron BCG is sitting on my work bench eagerly awaiting it's next assignment. And FPrice is just a little more knowledgeable about the proper BCGs for your rifles.

Moral of the story: Always try to be aware of and know what you don't know. Could save yer fourth point of contact some day.

Here's the video which taught me this:

Good video. It started about half way through for me, but I restarted it at the beginning, and it was worth watching the entire thing.

I always thought of Colt as being one of the "gold standards" but I would not want their half moon carrier with unshrouded firing pin, and I'd never seen one before, so I learned something new.

If you had clicked on the link to my previous thread (AR-15 Bolt Swap Outs) you would have seen that the question of checking headspace WAS addressed, however briefly.

But I am curious as to why you are picking on Stoner in particular.

Oh I did, focused on the whole half moon thing. Short attention span, fast forwarded it a bit, missed that part.

Stoner AR parts are basically your knock off brand parts, mostly made for midway to my knowledge. Might be OK, might not. Remember some talk on another forum questioning metallurgy of their BCG's (could be BS, who knows). I put them in the category of say Radical, others that are marginally cheaper than mid tier parts.

If I want a cheap BCG I buy Aero, maybe Stag, in certain situations maybe Toolcraft.. a more robust one than those I like Spikes, if I wanted to top that would probably go Daniel Defense (though I have suspected before they are the same as Spikes in phosphate).. above that maybe look at JP.. there are a zillion options in all tiers just Stoner isn't one that gives me the warm fuzzies.

Check out this guys channel.

Looks like a good channel to start following. Steve and Caleb on Brownells Smyth Busters had some good words for Sons of Liberty rifles, called them rock solid. I found the following video on their website which everyone could benefit from.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqUu03H5KyM

Good video. It started about half way through for me, but I restarted it at the beginning, and it was worth watching the entire thing.

I always thought of Colt as being one of the "gold standards" but I would not want their half moon carrier with unshrouded firing pin, and I'd never seen one before, so I learned something new.

I'm glad that you benefitted from this post. I've learned a lot from others on this forum and am happy to pass on what I learn.
Oh I did, focused on the whole half moon thing. Short attention span, fast forwarded it a bit, missed that part.

Stoner AR parts are basically your knock off brand parts, mostly made for midway to my knowledge. Might be OK, might not. Remember some talk on another forum questioning metallurgy of their BCG's (could be BS, who knows). I put them in the category of say Radical, others that are marginally cheaper than mid tier parts.

If I want a cheap BCG I buy Aero, maybe Stag, in certain situations maybe Toolcraft.. a more robust one than those I like Spikes, if I wanted to top that would probably go Daniel Defense (though I have suspected before they are the same as Spikes in phosphate).. above that maybe look at JP.. there are a zillion options in all tiers just Stoner isn't one that gives me the warm fuzzies.

Fair enough. I'm still learning but my Stoner BCG seems to be well-made and finished. And over the course of many threads and discussions I seem to have heard that BGCs are only made by a few companies. Maybe to specific standards for different rifle manufacturers but they seem to start off similar. Would like to find out if that is true.

Looks like a good channel to start following. Steve and Caleb on Brownells Smyth Busters had some good words for Sons of Liberty rifles, called them rock solid. I found the following video on their website which everyone could benefit from.

I've watched most of this guys videos. He goes pretty deep in his tear downs...
Also shows that many different brands from all levels can have issues.
I like his failure diagnosis too.
He's got a pretty sweet set of gauges for every hole too.

The half moon carrier and sear block was only produced for a couple of years (92 and 93 IIRC). the only problem ive heard rumor of with half moon carrier is with high speed mag dumps or full auto. I’ve never actually came across someone who had a problem.

I have had colt sportier with half moon carrier since ‘92 and have not had any problems with half moon carrier. It sits in an A2 upper with carry handle and iron sights. I built a flat top upper for it and use a semi auto BCG which causes no problem. Just can’t use a full auto carrier due to interference with sear block. The bigger issue with the last couple years of pre ‘94 ban colts is the firing pin holes are also non standard size. Some geiselle triggers are available for large trigger pins but not the high speed match. I have the Geissele SSA-E in mine

Earlier production years of pre ‘94 ban colts do not have the sear block and use standard BCG and have standard size trigger pins. (They also do not have fence around mag release) measure trigger pins to determine what you have.

All(?) pre ban colt lowers have over sized holes for front take down pin. You need an adapter to use a standard upper (I like the adapters from Fulton Amory). The other route is to build an upper using the Daniels Defense “big hole upper receiver” p/n. 04-012-09001. Pricey $200 upper when available. But you won’t need to pin weld brake so some savings there

Back
Top Bottom