My first IDPA experience.....

Well, went and made the classifier at NB Rod and Gun today. The clubs ground are HUGE. Great place. I met more daves than you can shake a stick at and a john, another Brian, and a Jason?? ( not sure .. sorry)...

Well. the weather SUCKED, but the company was great and the shooting was FUN FUN FUN. I really enjoyed listening to everyone and had a great time getting a feel for my newest hobby ( read Addiction) . I dont know about anyone else, but it made bulseye shooting seem like crochet...

Again, Daves, John, all.. I want to thank you for taking the time to run that classifier for us, I know with the weather you probably could have postponed it.

To anyone considering it.. DO IT.. it was the best shooting time ive had sofar.. and it was just the begining.

I have no idea what is going on at your club but I for one am happy that you had a seemingly great shooting experience.

(looks like some editing was going on as I was posting.)

Last edited:
Glad to read that you had a great time; though I have noticed that some IDPA places are going to an IDPA style using carbines, time to pick one up if you don't have one.

As far as IDPA ruining a club the only thoughts I have on that is at least the BOD is adapting to changing times.

There are plenty of clubs that are running IDPA type matches and practice nights though the price of ammo is shrinking the number of people that show up consistently.

Well, went and made the classifier at NB Rod and Gun today. The clubs ground are HUGE. Great place. I met more daves than you can shake a stick at and a john, another Brian, and a Jason?? ( not sure .. sorry)...

Well. the weather SUCKED, but the company was great and the shooting was FUN FUN FUN. I really enjoyed listening to everyone and had a great time getting a feel for my newest hobby ( read Addiction) . I dont know about anyone else, but it made bulseye shooting seem like crochet...

Again, Daves, John, all.. I want to thank you for taking the time to run that classifier for us, I know with the weather you probably could have postponed it.

To anyone considering it.. DO IT.. it was the best shooting time ive had sofar.. and it was just the begining.

Nice meeting you Brian, We made out pretty good being the only 2 shooting. Lot's of fun see you at some of the other shoots. One of the Dave's

Dave I m not sure if i mentioned it but solid shooting my friend.... Definitly got some style points on me... slow and smooth smooth is fast.. dropping that extra round on target and coming up on target with the safety on really threw me but good things cause I can look at NOT doing that again LOL

i really appreciated all the positive reinforcement from everyone, and Para Dave, thanks for being first up.. always the hardest and I had time to watch you.

Packing... DO IT.. I thought bullseye was fun, but this takes the cake.. AND THIS WAS JUST A CLASSIFIER... 90 rounds, set into 3 targets in different stages in different strings ( its alot easier to do than it sounds). The emphasis is on safety, accuracy, and fun which i had two out of three... ( we will see how the accuracy went). I fired less rounds today than most days on the range by myself but it was much more fun!

Both you and paracarry did very well today, congratulations.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Glad you had a good time. You and paracarry shot well. Too bad the weather didn't cooperate. If you think the classifier is fun, wait till you shoot a match.

One of the other Daves

Packing... DO IT.. I thought bullseye was fun, but this takes the cake.. AND THIS WAS JUST A CLASSIFIER... 90 rounds, set into 3 targets in different stages in different strings ( its alot easier to do than it sounds). The emphasis is on safety, accuracy, and fun which i had two out of three... ( we will see how the accuracy went). I fired less rounds today than most days on the range by myself but it was much more fun!

I will - it is coming up in a few weeks, so will put that in my "belt" - I did observe both regular and classifier shoots and talked at length with participants - done all the good things but to DO IT! [grin]

The classifier is nothing like a match from what i was told. It is very structured, in fact if you look on the IDPA website you can see exactly what it is with shot count and everything. The things I could do well were 2 shots to the body, drawing the weapon and getting the sights on. I have to work on squeeze verses pull, my headshots I think i rushed. I have to work on one handed strong and weak (DEFINITLY try that.. its different). Moving isnt too bad, just remember when you shoot on the move its only 10 paces or so so make the shots dont worry about going fast ( something I didnt do). REMEMBER the rounds your suppose to shoot. I threw one round because i was so focused on 2 to the chest 1 to the head i forgot it was only a 2 to the chest string. Also, a typical sillouette target isnt like an IDPA... Start shooting at the top 8/9 area.. thats the zero on IDPA. The whole head is zero so getting the hit is all that matters there. Lastly, alot of this is done with a ready to fire weapon from the holstered position (if using DA like I did).... get used to that cause I hadnt and i left the decocking lever down on one string and was furiously pulling the trigger wondering why nothing happened!!

Guess you can tell I had fun because i remember so much for a change ! What weapon platform you planning on using gal????

The classifier is nothing like a match from what i was told. It is very structured, in fact if you look on the IDPA website you can see exactly what it is with shot count and everything. The things I could do well were 2 shots to the body, drawing the weapon and getting the sights on. I have to work on squeeze verses pull, my headshots I think i rushed. I have to work on one handed strong and weak (DEFINITLY try that.. its different). Moving isnt too bad, just remember when you shoot on the move its only 10 paces or so so make the shots dont worry about going fast ( something I didnt do). REMEMBER the rounds your suppose to shoot. I threw one round because i was so focused on 2 to the chest 1 to the head i forgot it was only a 2 to the chest string. Also, a typical sillouette target isnt like an IDPA... Start shooting at the top 8/9 area.. thats the zero on IDPA. The whole head is zero so getting the hit is all that matters there. Lastly, alot of this is done with a ready to fire weapon from the holstered position (if using DA like I did).... get used to that cause I hadnt and i left the decocking lever down on one string and was furiously pulling the trigger wondering why nothing happened!!

Guess you can tell I had fun because i remember so much for a change ! What weapon platform you planning on using gal????

Now show up next Saturday for the GOAL match same location. More fun than you can ever have with clothes on [smile]

I am considering the M&P compact - just because I have used it alot - but am getting comfortable with a Spfld 1911. I consider the first time to be that first experience, not so much for how well I shoot it.

The Classifier is basically a glorified Bullseye match. Seriously. It has NOTHING to do with a real IDPA match. All it is is a standardized test to place you in a category. As with all standardized tests, it's pretty boring.

Chris- I respectfully disagree. Although the classifier isn't scenario based like most stages in a match it's a heck of a lot more than bullseye. I find the classifier is a very reasonable indicator of one's capabilities in a match... within reason. The fundamentals of an IDPA are mostly all tested in the classifier- including: accuracy, close and long shots, shooting from behind barricade/low cover, movement shooting and to cover, transitions, one handed, reloads, etc.

Low light scenarios, swingers, steel, drawing from concealment and a few other things aren't tested.

I myself enjoyed it immensely. It was more challenging and alot more fast paced and exciting than standing there at the table shooting the same target.

I myself enjoyed it immensely. It was more challenging and alot more fast paced and exciting than standing there at the table shooting the same target.

Welcome to the game. If you think the classifier was exciting, just wait until you get your first moving target.

cant wait for a true match...... but i also know i have some practicing to do before then.... and with the season winding down... it will probably be next YEAR before I get in on one locally..

My wife and I just closed our hair salon and I am out of work for the time being for atleast a couple months, I was wondering what it takes to get into this? Since I got my LTC last year collecting guns has been my favorite hobby, I go shooting occasianally but I would like to get into more than just going to the range by myself, Something competitive sounds awesome, Also my wife just got her LTC today and she asked me about doing something like this. Can anybody give me details on exactly what's needed? thanks

It's been discussed in a couple of other threads. Do a search for a thread started by poster Underwhere for some good info. The short version is:
Bare minimum is a handgun in a caliber 9mm, 38 special, or larger, 3 magazines or speedloaders, and a strong side belt holster. Magazine / speedloader carriers would be good, but you can use your pockets to start out.

Alex, a great place to start is their website,

http://www.idpa.com/

There is a good amount of information there, and what ever else you need someone here can find for you im sure.. where are you from>?? I am in southestern mass here

Now show up next Saturday for the GOAL match same location. More fun than you can ever have with clothes on.---RGS
"With clothes on, you didn't get memo?[grin]

Respectfully,

jkelly

Back
Top Bottom